• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops signee Austin headed to junior college

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/06/hoops-signee-austin-headed-to-junior-college.html

Waverly Austin, a 6-foot-10 center from Virginia who signed with USF in November, won't be part of the Bulls' incoming freshman class and will attend junior college instead.

Austin, who spent the past year at HEAT Academy, a prep school in Virginia, did not qualify academically and has a visit scheduled for today to Harcum College, a junior college in the Philadelphia suburb of Bryn Mawr. USF's coaches have been aware of the possibility for some time, so his absence isn't a surprise -- most of the Bulls' incoming recruits will report to campus this week, with Summer B classes starting a week from today.

Without Austin, USF will enter the season with limited depth in the post, likely with four players -- Gus Gilchrist, Jarrid Famous, Ron Anderson and Toarlyn Fitzpatrick. The Bulls were in the same position last year, and had only two healthy players at times when Gilchrist and senior center Alex Rivas were both injured. Heath said last week that he believes those four players give USF as good a frontcourt as any in the country, so it's unlikely Austin would have played significant minutes this season. He could return to USF in two seasons after earning his Associate of Arts degree.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Too bad.  It would have been nice to have him start developing this coming season and maybe even redshirt.  Oh well.  Now I wish we had signed the big dude from Virginia that signed with Marquette.

Normal

Guest Sunburned

It appears that Mr Austin spent more time concentrating on basketball at Heat Academy than he did on ACADEMICS.

Too bad.  It would have been nice to have him start developing this coming season and maybe even redshirt.  Oh well.  Now I wish we had signed the big dude from Virginia that signed with Marquette.

Normal

That might have been why Heath was trying to sign Gardner because he knew chances were high that Austin won't make it. Funny thing we have heard that Gardner was a risk because of his academics. He might get in to Marquette though.

As long as we avoid injury we have 4 very talented and proven high level D-1 Bigs in Famous, Gilchrist, Fitzpatrick, and Anderson. Ofcourse we'll run a 3 guard lineup all season.

It appears that Mr Austin spent more time concentrating on basketball at Heat Academy than he did on ACADEMICS.

It is sad when you go to prep school and still fail to make academically.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,157
  • Days Won:  429

As long as we avoid injury we have 4 very talented and proven high level D-1 Bigs in Famous,

WTF?? You spent most of the spring bashing him and now he's a proven high level D-1 Big ......?

Guest nybullsfan

As long as we avoid injury we have 4 very talented and proven high level D-1 Bigs in Famous,

WTF?? You spent most of the spring bashing him and now he's a proven high level D-1 Big ......?

He has proven he can handle Vega's bashing. Not everyone can say that!  >:D

He has proven he can handle Vega's bashing. Not everyone can say that!  >:D

Lol, I bash him because of his soft ass defense. Just about everything else is ok from Famous. This is his last season and one would have to think that if he wants to play in the NBA then he'll apply himself on D this upcoming season. If not he can just backup Anderson. A 6-11 athletic freak like Famous who has no trouble throwing down dunks and running the floor should be an intimidating on D, no reason why not. We'll know in August if he has decided to defend the paint like he is capable of.

Guest nybullsfan

I never watch the NBA, so I don't know beans. But I read somewhere that the NBA doesn't really play defense, and that's why today's college players don't care about defense.

If he won't need it at the next level, why bother to develop it now?? Yes? No?

I never watch the NBA, so I don't know beans. But I read somewhere that the NBA doesn't really play defense, and that's why today's college players don't care about defense.

If he won't need it at the next level, why bother to develop it now?? Yes? No?

No--- the NBA plays far better defense than they ever used to play... they just never make ESPN highlights.

In the 1980's the NBA games would always run 110-103... now there are NBA games that run 80-70... because defense has improved.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Disappointing. Kid could have really contributed for us. Hopefully he cant develop and mature mentally with academics in these 2 years and transfer back and give us some help.

Archived