• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Who should replace Rutgers when the Big10 takes them?

Assuming the BEast only adds one team to replace Rutgers, which team should they add?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Any but UCiF.. please!! I cant stand their fan and I will go nuts every year USF play them in football if they got into the BE

Wouldn't that be seen as a reason FOR moving UCiF into the BEast?

Personally, I wouldn't mind them being added and the rivalry renewed. It's just not worthwhile for us to play them while they're non-BCS.

We need a rivalry as intense as the UCiF one is/was. WVU is on it's way, but that's about all. Hopefully the Miami series can turn into one, but the games have to be competitive for a rivalry to actually exist. That certainly didn't happen last year...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Voted UCF. Guess I'm biased?

Whatever conference gets UCF won't be let down in the long run. Sure they suck at some sports right now, but BCS tags help recruiting. They have their issues just as any other school does, but they have the 19th biggest TV market, 50,000+ students, a fuckton more alums, good location, good recruiting potential.

ECU is my 2nd choice, as it would at least bridge the gap.

Most of those other schools don't bring enough to the table. Memphis hired the former BE commissioner to be a consultant...know what he told them to get in a BCS conference? WIN MORE GAMES in football.

Nova has a legit shot for football, but I've heard they don't WANT to move up. Not sure if Villanova would want Temple in the mix as they'd split the Philly TV market...

• Content Count:  95
  • Days Won:  0

Any but UCiF.. please!! I cant stand their fan and I will go nuts every year USF play them in football if they got into the BE

Wouldn't that be seen as a reason FOR moving UCiF into the BEast?

For my sanity I hope so  ;D

• Content Count:  239

If the football members of Big East want to have a BCS bid they need to throw their weight around because it is going to get taken away as long as the league panders to basketball and drags their feet with expansion. The PAC 10 will expand to 12. The Big 10 will get its new school. If the Big East gets poached it will fall apart from a football standpoint because there is no way the Big East (already home to former CUSA teams) is going to survive just by replacing RU or Pitt with UCF. That's a league of 8 teams, 4 recently CUSA, already heavily criticized competing against four super conferences. Forget trying to prove you are more entitled than the Mountain West because CUSA and the Sun Belt will be able to make that claim.

While I would rather lose RU than Pitt from a football standpoint, the market loss is big and at least the team has been competitive and is familiar and it would be tough to replace from the East alone. So here is how I see it. The league needs to decide if they want to be a BCS conference. I think the football schools will react to how they feel. There is going to have to be a split. With a team missing, the football members are going to need to get five teams, and the only way to do that and strengthen the conference is not to expand from just the Eastern seaboard. Clearly, Notre Dame isn't joining. So who is the best of what's left from the non BCS leagues that would make sense. I wouldn't look further West than Texas.

Must adds:

TCU - clearly at the top of the list

Houston - major metro market, basketball history

Southern Miss - mid major football stalwart that missed out during Big East's last recovery

Navy - plays prolific games, represents a large workforce makes sense geographically. also solid football

SMU - should be killing it soon

Troy - has had football success recently

Memphis - maybe for bball and football potential

UCF - good potential. five bcs teams in state will make both programs weaker as they'll cannibalize each others regional recruits

ECU...

They could set up a North and South, Texas and FL teams in the south with maybe LVille. That would bring in the most potential, I think. Regardless. When all is said and done, if the commissioner and ADs don't act fast, USF might be knocking on the door of the Sun Belt or CUSA looking for a homel because Big East football won't exist. Pitt and WVU will look elsewhere and they will find a home easily. Louisville should have no problems either. ACC won't touch USF, FSU and Miami are all they need. Forget the SEC.

If the Big Ten takes a Big East team, you can bet you're going to be watching USF play in a much different league in a few years even if it has the same name, hell we are going to be watching a mid major league even if they take missouri or Notre Dame because the conf. won't maintain an auto-bid against four 12-team leagues. The Big East found a way to narrowly survive the last round, but the league's absurd structure is catching up to it in football. Change is coming, it HAS to. Let's see who breaks first.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Adding UCF would be the worst thing for USF, so I'm dumbfounded by the people that want UCF to join. Horrible, horrible. Gotta go with Memphis. We already have a ton of northeastern teams. I think you will see a restructuring of basketball in the conference if Rutgers gets pulled.

• Content Count:  509

Voted UCF. Guess I'm biased?

Whatever conference gets UCF won't be let down in the long run. Sure they suck at some sports right now, but BCS tags help recruiting. They have their issues just as any other school does, but they have the 19th biggest TV market, 50,000+ students, a fuckton more alums, good location, good recruiting potential.

ECU is my 2nd choice, as it would at least bridge the gap.

Most of those other schools don't bring enough to the table. Memphis hired the former BE commissioner to be a consultant...know what he told them to get in a BCS conference? WIN MORE GAMES in football.

Nova has a legit shot for football, but I've heard they don't WANT to move up. Not sure if Villanova would want Temple in the mix as they'd split the Philly TV market...

In my opinion I really don't think UCF will be picked up by the SEC or the ACC since both conferences are likely to stay put. UCF joining the BE would be bad for USF since it would hurt us in recruiting, and UCF would start winning some of the match ups increasing their credibility as a program. Over the next decade hopefully we can accomplish enough on the field that we can close the gap between us and FSU and Miami. UCF joining the BE would make this less likely to happen. In addition UCF hasn't accomplished enough on the field to merit BE inclusion at this point. My first choice in the poll was Temple.  ECU, Memphis, Southern Miss and Tulane would all be better choices then UCF. But I think the BE needs to be bold and go after TCU and Houston.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

ECU.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

ECU doesnt have a great basketball program that is the only reason they arent an automatic pick IMO. But BE got plenty of good basketball programs that doesn't field a football team in the BE, so let ECU in!!

Imagine if FIU/FAU were picked over UCF...Imagine the uproar that would cause.

FIU actually would be decent pick if you think of the long term.  They have tons of potential, huge school/administration support, and a good coach.

Having a team in Miami, which would benefit the BE, and the school as well, as being an AQ conference would make them a dangerous mix.

Major media market, can lead to a direct rival with us in-conference, and UM out of conference.

:2cents

EDIT

...Although i chose ECU.  Reason being is that if FIU does get better, it will only hurt USF (...similar to the UCF arguments already posted)

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I also am in the TCU boat. If you must add more than one, then add Memphis and Houston to go with TCU. I have pointed out in the past, the distance for most Big East schools to travel to USF is nearly identical of what it would take to travel to Dallas/Ft. Worth. Adding schools like ECU and UCF will merely just water down the product and make us the Big East/CUSA.

On an "out there" thought, if the Big East football teams were to invite the big Mountain West and WAC schools, i.e. BSU, TCU, BYU, Utah, Air Force, create and East & West League to create a 12 team super conference. Move Cincinnati, Louisville or USF over with the West teams. Would the added travel be more $ than what the new league would generate in new revenue? I would imagine ESPN or someone would pay a lot for that Championship game. If the Pac-10 take 2 of those Western teams, you could even it out more by adding in Memphis and Houston. Thoughts??

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Adding UCF would be the worst thing for USF, so I'm dumbfounded by the people that want UCF to join. Horrible, horrible. Gotta go with Memphis. We already have a ton of northeastern teams. I think you will see a restructuring of basketball in the conference if Rutgers gets pulled.

Perhaps we're objective enough to realize it would be good for the Big East and that it's a Big East decision not a USF decision of whether UCiF gets an offer someday?

Of course I'm motivated by my own greed to say "Keep UCiF a non-BCS team forever..." but they certainly present many good things to an expanding BCS conference if said conference must look at the non-BCS ranks for new members.

Archived