• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cincy to join Big 10?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

Its going to be either Pitt,Syracuse, or Rutgers. I don't think the Big 10 will add more then one team. Also I think schools who are currently in the BIG 12 are happy and will probably not switch to other conferences. Best case scenario; we only lose Rutgers, and the PAC 10 expands with teams from the WAC( Hawaii, Boise State) or Mountain West (Utah, BYU).In that case the ACC, SEC, BIG 12 stay put, while the BE adds two teams. West Virginia will be opposed to Marshall joining and USF should be opposed to UCF joining.

• Content Count:  2,511

An article by Brent Hatley?  The same Brent Hatley who produces the Bubba the Love Sponge radio program?  Are you freaking kidding me?

The only thing Brent Hatley knows is how to screen calls when the chicks call into Bubba's show for "No Panties Tuesday" (or whatever day) and rub the phone receiver on their prickly cactus.

He has as much legitimacy as any fool who sets up an opinion blog.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Yup, I was just sayin'. Plus, Ohio State would NOT let Cincy in. While there are a state or two with two teams in it in the B10 (IL/NW, MI/MI St, IN/Purdue), Ohio State wants to be the ONE university that stays big-time in Ohio. All the other schools are MAC, and Cincy would have to find a home in the ACC or grow up in the BE to be relevant.

If you take the list and remove the geographically irrelevant, the programs that are too small-time to be considered, and the current members, this is what you got left:

If we're playing by strict B10 rules, they definitely want someone in the AAU, prefer to have an on campus stadium for football (and basketball, but most already do), and if possible, in a state already with a B10 member or touching one.

Public (34)

* Iowa State University (1958)

-AAU, in IA, rival with IA (develop rival with MN/WI/NW/IL)

* University of Kansas (1909)

-AAU, KS "almost" touches IA, good athletics/fanbase, KC TV market; but wouldn't leave old Big 8 traditions/rivals

* University of Maryland, College Park (1969)

-AAU, develop rivalry with Penn State, decent athletics, Wash-DC TV market, sleeper pick; but charter ACC member may hinder

* University of Missouri (1908)

-AAU, rivalry with IL, would lose KS/NE rivalries, but could still play. St Louis and KC TV markets, decent athletics; no real cons

* University of Nebraska–Lincoln (1909)

-AAU, NE touches IA, rivalries with IA possibly, great athletics/fanbase, Omaha/part KC TV market; again, would it leave Big 8?

* Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (1989)

-AAU, history, touches PA, rivals with Penn State maybe, rising athletics (slowly), part NYC/Philly TV markets; is NYC a pro town?

* University of Pittsburgh (1974)

-AAU, rival with Penn State, decent fanbase, proximity to MI/OH schools, Pittsburgh TV market; could make WVU rivalry an OOC type, kinda like FSU/UF is.

Private (26)

* Syracuse University (1966)

-AAU, geographically out of place, but rivals with Penn State, academically and athletically sound, tradition, part NYC TV market

* Vanderbilt University (1950)

-a sleeper, longshot, but academically awesome, athletically ok (basketball good, football bad), not entirely too far out of place, Big 10 money is on par with SEC money; may give football better opportunities for winning.

Out of all of those, Pitt and Missouri seem to be the biggest candidates when you break it down. Iowa State doesn't have the fanbase/academics-research institution like Missouri does.

My BE bias hopes they go for Missouri, but Pitt would honestly not be a bad fit. Their rivalry with WVU could remain like I mentioned, it just wouldn't be a conference game anymore.

I have my doubts about Rutgers or Syracuse being able to capture the NYC TV market. I honestly think NYC is a pro town. Yankees, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils...just not enough room for half-decent college. St. John's is big in it's in-town niche, and Syracuse basketball does well, but otherwise Syracuse, being farther away, still generates more interest than Rutgers.

Guest nybullsfan

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the most likely scenario:

Missouri to the B10 (makes the most sense if they can't get ND)

Colorado and Colorado State to the PAC10 (P10 likes their teams in pairs)

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the B12 North (to replace MO and CO)

TCU and Houston to the B12 South (to replace OK and OSU)

LA Tech to CUSA West (to replace Houston)

Cotton Bowl steps up to become a BCS-level bowl and becomes home of the B12 winner

MWC (now with 7 teams) and WAC (8) merge (again) to form 15-team superconference with Mountain Division and Western Division and automatic 7th BCS bid, home bowl is the Fiesta

BE remains the red-headed stepchild

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Yup, I was just sayin'. Plus, Ohio State would NOT let Cincy in. While there are a state or two with two teams in it in the B10 (IL/NW, MI/MI St, IN/Purdue), Ohio State wants to be the ONE university that stays big-time in Ohio.

Someone mention that the Bulls might get a look from the SEC.  I would love for the Bulls to be there. The Gators is NOT HAVING IT. Like Ohio St, they want to be the only show from Florida in the SEC.

BE remains the red-headed stepchild

What should the Bulls do? This will not help the continued growth of the program. The BE has been fighting the negativity since the raid the conference. Do they stand by and watch the BE turn into c-usa?

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Even the University of Toronto has a better chance than UL or UC.  ;D

http://www.varsityblues.ca/index.aspx?tab=football&path=football

I'd like to see the University of Toronto in the Big East... not sure how they would stack up against American teams but it would introduce a new dynamic to the sport of college football.

• Content Count:  4,738

if major realignment hits the Big east will be a non football conference

Louisville and USF and WVU  to SEC after Ark leaves

Cuse Rutgers Pitt Uconn to ACC or Big 11

Cinci ....left out in the cold  ... maybe MAC  bball has dropped off and football may after Kelly leaves

• Content Count:  209

Out of all of those, Pitt and Missouri seem to be the biggest candidates when you break it down. Iowa State doesn't have the fanbase/academics-research institution like Missouri does.

My BE bias hopes they go for Missouri, but Pitt would honestly not be a bad fit. Their rivalry with WVU could remain like I mentioned, it just wouldn't be a conference game anymore.

I have my doubts about Rutgers or Syracuse being able to capture the NYC TV market. I honestly think NYC is a pro town. Yankees, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils...just not enough room for half-decent college. St. John's is big in it's in-town niche, and Syracuse basketball does well, but otherwise Syracuse, being farther away, still generates more interest than Rutgers.

I agree with you NYC is a pro town first, but far from being the only game in town.  People in that area like winners regardless of pro, college or other.  I think most people from outside of the area are either misinformed or in denial.

Facts:

1) SU is 5 hours northwest of NYC.  It's actually closer to Buffalo, NY and Toronto.

2) 3 teams (D1 schools) that gets the most coverage and they are RU, Seton Hall and St. Johns.

3) Media coverage for the NYC area: SU football on ESPN 1050 along with Army football during the fall.

RU is covered by WOR 710 for football and basketball

Seton Hall and St. Johns are on ESPN 1050 and because of this no SU coverage

4) NYC metro area is made up NYC, North & Central Jersey, Long Island, Fairfield County (Ct.), and  Rockland, Orange, Westerchester & Dutchess Counties (NY) for a total of 19 1/2 million people.  NJ accounts for 6 1/2 million of the total.

5) During the '06 season the NFL network was forced to allow local cable companies to carry the RU bowl game since none of them at the time carried it for the entire NYC metro area.

6) ESPN has some of the ****est ratings for Thursday night football when RU has been involved in part because of the numbers done in the NYC area.

Bottom line is you're in denial because of your dislike for RU.  SU is not the factor you and anyone else would like them to be because they just don't receive the coverage and exposure in NYC area as does RU.  RU doesn't have to capture the entire NYC market because a small percentage of the market is usually bigger then most others all together.  Just capturing the NJ share of the market is bigger then 3/4 of the big 10 current markets.  That is very real because RU has done it in the past.  RU is just starting to tap into the success that can be in the NYC area.  That is what others schools outside of the region fear because it will have an effect on them in one way or another like recruiting.  Btw, you can't be real about the Nets and Islanders?  Wagner College (Staten Island, NYC) does better numbers then the both of them. ;D

Archived