• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Regarding the Miller story

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Does anyone wonder how such a blockbuster story was "broke" by a terminated former beat writer, previously embarrassed by the head coach that is currently the subject of the investigation of the story's allegations?

Seriously, if this were a real story, how could it possibly end up in McMurphy's hands?  Even the Octomom got to choose who to tell her story to.  If this were a 100% credible story, why wouldn't the "moles" have taken the story to a reputable and credible reporter - like someone from ESPN?  Or Fox Sports....or even someone with one of the local papers (slight stretch there) - someone that doesn't have skin in the game?  Why McMurphy?  Was it by design?  Who's design?

If I have a national headline type story, it ain't going to a guy with a known grudge, someone who has been discredited multiple times and subsequently terminated from his job as the team's beat writer.  Sure the guy has contacts in the locker room, but if this was truly an organic story that had legs wouldn't it have gone somewhere more reputable?  More credible?

And he keeps getting stories to "break".  Does he have an exclusive arrangement (something in it for the "moles")?  Why is he the only guy with a story, except for Schad from ESPN who actually spoke to Miller himself.

If it were me, I'd be sitting down with Erin Andrews, meeting her at her hotel of course.  ;)  :D  I wouldn't be talking to some petty and unknown internet guy whose own credibility jeopardizes the believability of the story itself.  It doesn't add up.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i would sit down on 60 minutes.

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Does anyone wonder how such a blockbuster story was "broke" by a terminated former beat writer, previously embarrassed by the head coach that is currently the subject of the investigation of the story's allegations?

Seriously, if this were a real story, how could it possibly end up in McMurphy's hands?  Even the Octomom got to choose who to tell her story to.  If this were a 100% credible story, why wouldn't the "moles" have taken the story to a reputable and credible reporter - like someone from ESPN?  Or Fox Sports....or even someone with one of the local papers (slight stretch there) - someone that doesn't have skin in the game?  Why McMurphy?  Was it by design?  Who's design?

If I have a national headline type story, it ain't going to a guy with a known grudge, someone who has been discredited multiple times and subsequently terminated from his job as the team's beat writer.  Sure the guy has contacts in the locker room, but if this was truly an organic story that had legs wouldn't it have gone somewhere more reputable?  More credible?

And he keeps getting stories to "break".  Does he have an exclusive arrangement (something in it for the "moles")?  Why is he the only guy with a story, except for Schad from ESPN who actually spoke to Miller himself.

If it were me, I'd be sitting down with Erin Andrews, meeting her at her hotel of course.   ;)  :D  I wouldn't be talking to some petty and unknown internet guy whose own credibility jeopardizes the believability of the story itself.  It doesn't add up.

The only thing I can think of is Miller had no intentions of going anywhere with this story but was badgered by McMurphy once it got to him through one of his moles.  Miller has seemed very hesitant and non-commital through this whole thing.  If a coach actually did hit me and then threaten me with his power, and I finally resolved to tell someone, Id more a little more adament and direct than what Joel has appeared to be. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

IMO those that think that it didn't happen, and those that think that it did happen both have good arguments to support their "side". I'm not even sure if it's a good/bad sign for CJL that the investigation is taking so long. A thought that I have had though, is that maybe the investigation is complete, something did happen, and the school is in negotiation with CJL to resign in order to somewhat mitigate the impact on his career. I just wish that this was over, so we can all get back to disagreeing about actual sports, rather than "TMZ, Enertainment tonight" type of ****.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

USF will have an issue regardless of whether Leavitt resigns or is terminated.

McMurphy has authored several factually deprived hit pieces on the school and its coaches and programs, on players too.

McMurphy winning the personal battle with Leavitt won't stop the meddling and continued attacks on USF. 

This issue won't end.  It's not the situation where the school can take the easy out and axe the coach.  The real issue does not rest solely with the coach.  Anyone paying attention the last five years realizes that.

Kids like Erskin go to him for a reason, what is it?

• Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  0

His job as a blogger is to get hits now. McMurphy is breaking this out to pay the bills.

However, USF has hired an investigator. He will  piece the story together from eyewitnesses and submit a report for USF to make a decision from. McMurphy doesn't understand that no matter how many disgruntled walk-on parents he interviews his stories won't make any decisions for the school when it comes to Leavitt.

McMurphy has always had this bent with his writing, he tried to dig stuff up where there wasn't always and it pissed people off. He pretty much got canned for it (or left, who knows--my guess it he got canned). The papers are dying, and with huge schools pumping out better journos every year to fight over a hand ful of jobs his days were numbered the second Leavitt started giving him the cold shoulder. You can't be an insider when they won't open the door for them. If he was fired because he was pretty much denied access to the most important person in the most discussed sport he covered, he might be aiming for revenge.

But McMurphy's motivations really don't matter. Everyone keeps pointing to possible revenge as a fact that nothing happened. McMurphy writes alot about USF because he is still close to the program. He probably heard something and followed it up. Joel Miller might have been really upset and said something, and if something did happen, he probably had a general idea of which players to talk to.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Leavitt headbutts players. Say what you want, but you have to at least believe it is possible, but we don't know. Stop thinking McMurphy's (potential) bias has anything to do with the facts. If the investigator even takes a moment to consider any McMurphy story or any past history between him and the coach than the investigation is flawed. He has to find his own sources and gather the information.

So, that being said, if you are of the type that thinks Leavitt can do no wrong and you want him at the school forever, you should relax. USF has a track record of ignoring the mistakes of high level staff, even if an investigation finds that the allegations were true in many ways.

http://www.usforacle.com/2.6025/editorial-dedication-to-meningall-is-questionable-1.618304

• Content Count:  640

USF will have an issue regardless of whether Leavitt resigns or is terminated.

McMurphy has authored several factually deprived hit pieces on the school and its coaches and programs, on players too.

McMurphy winning the personal battle with Leavitt won't stop the meddling and continued attacks on USF. 

This issue won't end.  It's not the situation where the school can take the easy out and axe the coach.  The real issue does not rest solely with the coach.  Anyone paying attention the last five years realizes that.

Kids like Erskin go to him for a reason, what is it?

Bulliever, your post begs the question of whether Miller has gone to McMurphy voluntarily or if McMurphy sought out this story for himself. I think everyone realizes McMurphy has taken it upon himself to be the paladin of all things anti-Leavitt. So either Miller brought his story to some deadbeat internet journalist or the journalist caught wind of an opportunity to smear the head coach. Since Miller and his father have totally balked on the whole ordeal, the first case is unlikely. Why would he bring a story to the media and then deny allegations? The possibility also exists that someone in the locker room informed on CJL to McMurphy, but wouldn't another media source have picked up the story by now, Joe Schad not withstanding? I don't get it either.

• Content Count:  239

My guess is that no one else digs after the University announced it hired an investigator. All will be revealed once the final report is made. If ESPN cared, or anyone else for that matter, they'd wait for the report instead of post speculation. As a state institution, USF will be required to provide anyone a copy of the report. You could request one and post it here.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Brett McMurphy :: Jim Leavitt

Jonathan Alpert :: Paul Griffin

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Bulliever, your post begs the question of whether Miller has gone to McMurphy voluntarily or if McMurphy sought out this story for himself. I think everyone realizes McMurphy has taken it upon himself to be the paladin of all things anti-Leavitt. So either Miller brought his story to some deadbeat internet journalist or the journalist caught wind of an opportunity to smear the head coach. Since Miller and his father have totally balked on the whole ordeal, the first case is unlikely. Why would he bring a story to the media and then deny allegations? The possibility also exists that someone in the locker room informed on CJL to McMurphy, but wouldn't another media source have picked up the story by now, Joe Schad not withstanding? I don't get it either.

I would assume it was a different player (or more likely a parent) that tipped off McMurphy.  Erskin would have to be a likely candidate at this point, though there are apparently a few others that fit the mold.

Archived