• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thank you USF and FANS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  749
  • Days Won:  1

flipflop,

As a proud papa myself, I have a bone to pick with you...my 13 yr old said a bad word and my 10 yr old cried when I told them your boy was hurt.  LOL.  Then they both fought for who would wear their #8 jersey to school the next morning.  I am currently deployed to the middle east and unable to watch Bulls football, but as they say we always have Kansas...the last time I saw your boy play live and still the greatest College Football game I have ever seen.  Tell him thanks for us old alumni guys who wish we were on still on campus when football was around

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

We'll always remember Matt as the one who helped elevate USF to another level.

• Content Count:  9,038

No, thank YOU and your son, Flip.  Without Matt, we would not be where we are now.  End of story.  I wish Matt luck with everything that he does and I sincerely hope to see him on the next level.

I still owe you a pitcher at Hooter's.  When things die down later, we'll get it.

• Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Matt helped guide our program from its darkest moment (the Julmiste years) to its brightest moment (top two in the nation). I think every Bulls fan will be eternally greatful for his contribution to and advancement of our program. I only wish that he had an opportunity to guide us to a Big East Championship on the field but at least he seems content to help rally the team towards one on the sideline. As a USF and LGHS alumni I am proud of Matt and the attitude he is displaying after his injury. Where most people say 'when life gives you lemons, **** the lemons and bail", he seems resolved to confront his tragedy and move forward with his life (that speaks volumes to the type of person he is and the parenting he received) .

• Content Count:  3,407

Flip thanks for the kind words.  My 16 year old will be sporting his Grothe jersey for many years to come.  I look forward to Matt's leadership on the sidelines this year.  I also expect him to continue to motivate and inspire the boys around him.  It is a difficult thing for a young man to accept injury at this point in a career, however you and the wife have done such a good job in the fact that we the fans are not hearing.. "Why me??!" Instead we are hearing "What can I do to help my team now that I am hurt!"  Do you realize how inspiring and good that is to hear from a young person today?    I teach HS and the number of selfish kids compared to unselfish kids is about 100 to 1.  Thanks for raising such an unselfish kid.  Too many atheletes today when they are injured turn their backs.  I look forward to Matt helping the team to accomplish their goals for this year.  PS- At the end of the year Matt will still get my vote for MVP. 

• Content Count:  1,251

I still cant get over the fact that matt is out....everytime i think about USF football i think about Grothe getting injured.....and then I get all bummed out....now everytime I think about one of my favorite things in the world i get all depressed......what is gonna change me from feeling this way?

• Content Count:  2,461

I still cant get over the fact that matt is out....everytime i think about USF football i think about Grothe getting injured.....and then I get all bummed out....now everytime I think about one of my favorite things in the world i get all depressed......what is gonna change me from feeling this way?

Beer.

• Content Count:  64

No, thank you! What a great job you and your wife have done.  Class acts all around.  I saw you on the Fox morning show (although I wish they would have talked to you guys more and shown less of Charlie Belcher trying to wrestle) and it is awesome that Matt will be up in the booth with Coach Canales this weekend, helping him against the 'Noles defense.

• Content Count:  488

After seeing Matt jump up right away from the hit he took by the Cin. Bearcat defenders in his first year I knew he had stones for a chin and a heart as big as a lion.  He charged ahead against the LB and DB like he wanted to make a statement.  And he sure did...a big one for the remainder of his college career.  He is a legend in my book and I wish him the best.  Thank you. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,320
  • Days Won:  10

Matt, your son got to live out his dream and for that I am happy.  But I am also very happy for you, as a father, getting to see his son grow, be challenged, excel and now overcome.  I always tell my kids (now grown), "Anyone can achieve.  You want to impress me?  Overcome!"  I am quite confident that he will overcome this latest obstacle in a way that will make you even prouder.  I know we couldn't be prouder as fans.  Send him our best and tell him his best work at influencing lives lies ahead of him.  In the REAL game.

Archived