• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"But when it comes right down to it, USF is a better football school..."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

USF's lone Orlando area wolf is Michael Lanaris

posted by Chris Harry on Mar 26, 2009 11:32:09 AM

His father is a UCF graduate and heads up the sales department for the university newspaper.

His sister attends UCF. 

In fact, Michael Lanaris went to a Knights football game before his first birthday nearly 19 years ago.

So what is Lanaris doing in a South Florida football uniform?

"There are lots of UCF roots in my family ... and they recruited me," the former Lake Mary star said. "But when it comes right down to it, USF is a better football school. That's just the bottom line."

Now Lanaris, the 6-foot, 230-pounder, is out to do his part to help build the program after sitting out the 2008 season as a redshirt.

There are 78 players listed on South Florida's spring roster and Lanaris is the only player who hails from the Central Florida area (though freshman defensive tackle Jimmy Thompson will make two this fall). He was happy to see his hometown paper coming around for some "pub," but is far more fired up about a chance to put his Orlando stamp on the ever-growing USF program.

And apparently, he'll get it. 

Two weeks into spring workouts, Lanaris is working as second-team middle linebacker behind returning starter Kion Wilson. He's also running with three first-unit special teams, including as the upback on the punt squad.

"He's a smart guy," said assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Carl Franks. "And a really coachable kid."

The Bulls found out as much when Lanaris came to their camp a few summers back. The coaches had seen Lanaris on tape. The saw the sort of production that led to 234 tackles (20 for losses) during a senior season en route to being named 2007-2008 Lake Mary Athlete of the Year. Camp workouts and face-to-face interaction solidified all the good things they already knew.

His redshirt season rubber-stamped the package.

"He plays with so much effort," said graduate assistant Pat. St. Louis, a former USF linebacker. "I had him for a whole [season] on the scout team. He didn't come out. When we were short-handed, he never come out. He worked his butt off, was attentive and tried hard to be a leader. He's got great promise for the future."

Lanaris wants the future to hurry up and get here.

"I'm sure I'm going to get some reps in the fall," he said. "I'm really excited about being a part of this team and getting on the field."

Who knows? Maybe he'll even convince more Orlando prospects to join him.

He's already recruited his family to green and gold.

"My sister is a USF fan now," Lanaris said. "And when my dad when to the UCF [vs. USF] game [last season], he worse his South Florida shirt and walked in with all the South Florida fans. Hey, they're USF now. That's just the way it goes."

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/03/usfs-lone-orlando-area-wolf-is-michael-lanaris-.html

• Content Count:  639

ouch, it hurts but it's true; UCF is just not there and seemed to have taken a big step back last year. USF has a big opportunity this season to put themselves on that 'stage' for good w/ the FSU and Miami games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Two weeks into spring workouts, Lanaris is working as second-team middle linebacker behind returning starter Kion Wilson.

Don't know if it was mentioned on the McQueen thread but it's obvious he saw the handwriting on the wall ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

I find it hard to believe we have only one or two recruits from the central florida area

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

"he worse his South Florida shirt"

LMAO: wore his > worse

Talk about Freudian slips.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

If you havent already, scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the comments from the UCF fans. Haha. They never let go a chance to bash USF. Jealousy is a stinky smell my friends.

Guest hm101

are we still fostering the UCF USF rivalry? USF is 4-0 in all time, everyone knows this, and UCF is not on our schedule anytime in the near future.

we know whos better, maybe we should move on.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Im very excited to see Lanaris in the spring game.  I've heard nothing but good things about this kid. 

• Content Count:  151

Lake Mary Represent! There's more Bulls in Lake Mary than you think

Archived