• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Chia Bull" cost more than my car....

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Big USF bull costs big bucks

Tampa, Florida - There's nothing like school spirit.

It's an intangible feeling students get, an allegiance to their school that can't be explained.

It could be that special moment when you hear your school's fight song or the confidence you feel wearing your school colors.

But, could spirit be found in a bull?

At the University of South Florida, it can.

School spirit is seen everywhere on this Tampa campus. The bull mascot is found on every corner, and now it can be found in a huge topiary just outside the Marshall Student Center.

The bull was built over the holidays and the reaction has been huge.

Graduate student Natalie Odom told us, as she stared up at the more than eight foot tall statue, "It's really beautiful. It's really beautiful."

Odom added, "It seems like this school has a lot of school pride. I notice it all over the campus."

The only problem with this bovine business? The price tag: $27,000.

Is it worth it to spend thousands on a large topiary when the University is making budget cuts?

Joe Eagan, from the University Facilities Department, told us, "We're committed to still moving forward and making this the best school it can be."

He says the $27,000 came from a $10 million budget where the money can only be used for this specific purpose. The amount, he added, is small compared to the millions in the budget.

Eagan wants people to know that this piece of art is much less than a larger sculpture would be. In fact, the artist who created this was also the same one who did the topiary work in the movie Edward Scissorhands.

Odom said, "It looks awesome. It's awesome." But, she quickly added, when asked if the money should have been spent, "No. And, you want to know why? They're cutting budgets in every department. One of the classes here they are cutting because there's no budget."

Another student weighed in on whether the money was worth it. "Probably not, but for school spirit, maybe this will help improve it."

The decision to build the bull was made way before the economy turned bad.

Eagan says he is proud of the topiary and that the students should be too. "We're here for students and that's where we want to put the focus, really."

Source

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Money well spent.  If you continually cancel these sorts of projects because "the money could be better spent" then they would never exist.

If the school budgeted $10 million for campus renovations/beautification, $27K is a drop in the bucket.  This topiary will have 0 effect on any financial pitfall in any department.

It's pretty cool.

• Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  0

I was wondering the same thing.  The fence around it now can't be permanent.  Saw it on the news last night.  It's a beautiful piece of work.  It's going to need to be protected somehow.

So what is the over/under on how long the Bull will actually stand?  It is ripe for drunk students to come along and rip it down...

I think it's got a pretty sturdy core.  Someone had a photo of it pre-chia.

I'm sure we'll see pictures of people on top of it eventually (probably soon).  I mean, hell, I'll probably get drunk and mount it eventually when I go visit friends still in Tampa.

• Content Count:  698

What is the up-keep on something like that? The cost doesn't end at 27k...I think it looks kind of wack too. That 27k could have been used to get the Subway smell out of Cooper Hall.

What is the up-keep on something like that? The cost doesn't end at 27k...I think it looks kind of wack too. That 27k could have been used to get the Subway smell out of Cooper Hall.

That smell keeps that building up to code.  It would be a hazard to enter without it.

• Content Count:  7,890

That dope is just straight up wack dog.  ;D

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

According to an article in the Oracle last week, the upkeep is very minimal. They said that there is an internal irrigation system to water it, and that the physical plant grounds keepers only have to water it occasionally, which is not out of the ordinary for their normal tasks.

Archived