• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PLEASE READ THIS!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

OK people, here's the deal. Plain and simple, Matt has his priorities mixed up big time. He should not have made comments like he made, especially during a season where his leadership was counted on so highly. Those comments should all be related to the success of our TEAM, not future accomplishments and dreams.  You have to be a leader on and off the field. You have to kick some but in the huddle when players don't get open, or drop passes. I have yet to see Matt go off on someone who has missed a block or dropped a pass. Look at all of your good QB's. They all command respect. They are the leaders. Nice guys finish last. (I will regret this later), Look at Tebow. He chews out his players and has garnered respect. They sure don't drop too many passes or miss blocks knowing Tebow will bite their butt in the huddle.  Matt has been a big part in our success yes, but he needs to step it up as a leader. I kept hearing all season how he worked on his ball control etc, not making bad decisions. Well sir, lately he has gone against all he has said. A QB has to stay cool. Has to take control, and not BE THE WHOLE TEAM. Be the leader. Lead by example, and garner respect. Don't play to the media. Play for the team. Sorry again folks, just my opinion whether you agree or not.

you must not watch much Bulls football if you have never seen Grothe get in somebody's face.

The coaches ask him to be the WHOLE offense. His number was called 147 times in the last 3 games. There were 210 total plays. That's 70% of the offensive plays. He has 35 more carries than the next leading ball carrier.

If I'm a DC, that's easy to defend. Especially with a suspect O-Line.

The kid is a true competitor. He always thinks he can make a play. Sometimes he forces things but that is his nature. Maybe if the coaches didn't ask him to do so much he wouldn't feel like it was only up to him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

Matt is just doing what all jrs should do it just gives you an idea where you are and what you need to work on...nothing else..does not want to leave..is very happy....   I am truly ashamed to hear all the stuff I am hearing...As a QB when things are good so are you..when they get a little rough you are the scum of the earth...he is far from inflating himself...those that know him know that.  I really have nothing else to say except way to stand behind your QB when things are down  jeese..

I can understand talking about his mistakes but to personally attack him is somewhat mind boggling...but I have to remmember..things will be good soon  could start Sun. night.

Again he does not think he will go to the NFL early...does not want to leave BUlls..and is happy with the Bulls.....just seeing what he needs to work on to get there!!!

WOW!!

i wish only the best for your son and hope he has a long,healthy and successful life in whatever endeavor he undertakes.

while it seems the criticisms are personal  it is really  only concerning football performance(but i understand it appears personal)

obviously when you come on here it creates a different dynamic and makes me feel bad if i hurt you and/or matt's feelings

this internet has created a brand new playing field subjecting people to unbelieveable scrutiny

one must take the good and bad when they interject themselves in a public forum such as a football player on a d1a team

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Matt will be back next year, There is no way he leaves early

• Content Count:  2,523

I feel bad for Matt and the guys on offense.  I swear, it's like us playing with a Tecmo Bowl offense against someone with a Madden 2009 defense!  Not too mention the play calling and "set up" doesn't allow anyone to get comfortable with anyone which is why most of these INTs happen.  None of the WRs get enough time with Grothe to KNOW where Grothe is wanting to go with the ball in a certain situation and the WR's don't get enough time to encounter certain situations enough to know what will work to get free and know that Grothe will throw it to that spot.

The college game is too fast to not have anticipation on your side and we have ZERO of it.  It's amazing the numbers he's put up honestly.  Yes, Grothe has his faults like most folks.  I don't care for the mohawk thing, but I can live with that more than if he was beating women, doing crack or stealing credit cards like other guys we read about every day.

As for Mr. Grothe, anyone who doesn't understand where you are coming from doesn't have kids and are immature in that respect.  You're a better man than I.  My son is only 4 and I can't imagine anyone tearing him down to the extent some have Matt on here.  If it was me, I'd find them and blow their houses up!!!  lol  (jk)...Anyway, hang in there.

• Content Count:  2,052

Bull94, I HAVE been to all home fb games almost since day one. I have seen the good and the bad. I just made the comment that he has not, gotten the respect from his players. He may argue with coaches, may argue that he is given too much. But get in the face of players, sorry I still have not seen it. Look, I am not saying Matt is not a good player. I have seen many things happen out of him that were unbullieveabull. My whole take on this started when he puts things out of priority. We are losing. His choices of playing are left up to question. He IS NOT the only one to blame. My point is, is that there needs to be an offensive leader, and contrary to many he is the one. By making comments like he did, by going hunting before a bowl game, only to bruise his shoulder, by not being disciplined enough to tuck in his jersey only to be hauled down by defenders who grab at it, and by not making wise choices on the field, after he boldly claimed he had learned from his mistakes just leads something in question for me. To me, a leader leads by example, takes the proverbial Bull by the horns, and leads. Have him kick some butt and tell the rest of the team to get it together, tuck in the shirts, follow what the coaches are telling them instead of arguing with them, and feel deeply about a loss instead of saying Oh Well! This my friend is what a leader does. And I am sorry to say, I have yet to see it this year as I have seen it from him in the past.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I apoligized, and the person who told me what grothe's status update the other day painted me a wrong picture, I stupidly made a comment on here about it, that I regret, I have always been a huge grothe fan, and hearing that he might have said something like that got to me, and I'll apoligize again for jumping to conclusions, should have never been brought up.

Everyone is a little peeved because of the losing streak, but in the end these are still OUR kids we're rooting for... all of 'em.

It takes a big man to admit a mistake and apologize.  Nicely done, and I'm sure there are no hard feelings.

• Content Count:  5,591

You've got to expect this Flipflop.  The fans on hear are huge fans, and are distressed with the team on there performance.  And with Grothe struggling the last few games, you would hope the last thing on his mind is the NFL.  We all wish him luck in the future but would hope he waits till the end of the season to bring this up.

As is, I hope he is recovering well from the ankle and produces against UCONN.

GO BULLS!!

• Content Count:  8,158

By the way, for all those who think Grothe's priorities aren't straight, or who think he "sucks"... interesting stuff here:

Stats

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=173139

QB Rating?  Less than a half of a point lower than in 2006.

TD passes?  Tied a career high already with 2 games to go

INTs?  On pace for a career low

Passing Yards?  On pace for a career high

The point is... in 2006 you all couldn't stop jerking yourselves off over the kid and how great he was (yes, the year he won Big East Rookie of the Year).  In 2008?  The stats are virtually the same, but now he "sucks" and the team's woes are on his shoulders.  And on top of it, a handful of schmucks want to give BJ Daniels the starting job based on some recruiting stars and some mop-up work against a 1-AA team.

BJ Daniels

Last point... for those who say Matt needs to focus on football and that his priorities are whacked because he goes hunting on his own time... what the hell are you going to do when BJ "I want to play basketball too" Daniels DOES take this team over?  Or will that argument not count any more?  Isn't that a bit more of a distraction than a January hunting trip?

Let's not forget the kid only chose us (over MEMPHIS, no less) based on a promise that he could get immediate playing time in hoops... does that not SCREAM "me first, team second" to anybody else?  And that's ok with you all because he's not Grothe?

Get real.  I wish BJ the absolute best when it's his time, but let's not run Grothe out of town just yet based on 5 third-string QB passes, some recruiting stars, and a handful of happy sunshine farts.  Hope and Change may have worked for Obama, but we've been there before with better recruits, kids, and it's never worked out yet.

• Content Count:  1,894

but it is still lower than last year you agree on that, so no improvement there

next...

Leading rusher...he should be our leading rusher...should have close to the 900 he had last year. Dual threat qb's run and give the team success. Thats what he should be doing. He is being kept in the pocket.

Next...

Interceptions are a career low, wow good stat...he played terrible competition besides Kansas....when competition got better..interceptions jumped sky high..

Next..

Passing yards career high...Well I hope so we aren't running the ball effectively so we are forced to pass...we have trailed alot of games..we were forced to pass....bad competition early...racked up some yards..TD'S are pathetic compared to qb with his hype coming into the season.

Stats don't tell the whole story..while it seems he is doing fine, he is struggling. Yes there are team issues but don't try to make it look like he is doing anything special this year with these career numbers.

• Content Count:  1,037

Understand I am a fan also...and it ticks me off when we dont win. I will be a fan when Matt is gone, I have made friendships that mean the world to me from the Bulls family.  And want a win just as bad as everybody, for the team, for the fans,.....GO BULLS!!!!

Archived