• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PLEASE READ THIS!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

The ONLY person on our offense that defenses really have to worry about is Matt. We have no other feature player, it has got to make it hard as hell.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I think you have to remember that this is a message board where people can "annonymously" complain about anything and everything.

Nothing to take too personally.  

I believe that 95% of the people on here love seeing Grothe on the field, and realize that he does not have the OC calling the right plays, has struggled with two years of a marginal/banged up O Line, has had to work with WR by committee and RB by committee.  And we still see him leading the O in rushing, personally, because the backs cannot get enough yards.

Clearly, 3 or 4 of our wins this year were because of him.  3 of 4 losses were due to Defensive woes, that is a topic for another day.

As for the NFL, I don't know.  Would like to see how it plays out.  But I think if he wants  a shot at it, he needs to come back next year, and have a bang up year.  For whatever reason, the chemistry is not there on O or D this year for the Bulls.

I believe that 95% of us would like to see Grothe back next year.  Heck, my daughters wear his jersey, autographed by Matty himself, to every home game.   And to high school at least one per week.  

My only passing remark, if you take these message boards two seriously then it will send you to an early grave.   You have everyone from middle and high school kids on here, to UCF fans posing as USF fans, to other BE teams "alias" to USF grads who are just downright negative in every post they have (ie the eeyore complex).  

Don't take this board too seriously.....  You have to have thick skin to be on here...

Good luck and god speed to Matt....

Matt is just doing what all jrs should do it just gives you an idea where you are and what you need to work on...nothing else..does not want to leave..is very happy....   I am truly ashamed to hear all the stuff I am hearing...As a QB when things are good so are you..when they get a little rough you are the scum of the earth...he is far from inflating himself...those that know him know that.  I really have nothing else to say except way to stand behind your QB when things are down  jeese..

I can understand talking about his mistakes but to personally attack him is somewhat mind boggling...but I have to remmember..things will be good soon  could start Sun. night.

Again he does not think he will go to the NFL early...does not want to leave BUlls..and is happy with the Bulls.....just seeing what he needs to work on to get there!!!

WOW!!

this is part of being a qb in major college football. if he can't take the heat then he shouldnt be playing sports. and if he doesnt like it, then he needs to go out next game and prove all doubters wrong. personally attacking him i agree is def. wrong. but pointing out his weaknesses is part of the fans responsibility.

plus, he shouldnt have to have his dad do his own defending

I applaud his dad for standing up for him.  I believe that he is a critical component to the success we had last year, and early this year, and that the issues against are team are not due to Matt Grothe, but due to many other factors.  I am sure Matt knows the pressure and takes these losses seriously.  Not so sure about many of the other players, though.  I feel Matt gives 110% every game.

Lets not forget these are 18 -22 y.o. young men.  How many mistakes did you make in that time frame or age range.  How many of you had a scholarship at college for, say, academics, but struggled in a class or two.  It happens.  All you can do is your best at that age. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

this is part of being a qb in major college football. if he can't take the heat then he shouldnt be playing sports. and if he doesnt like it, then he needs to go out next game and prove all doubters wrong. personally attacking him i agree is def. wrong. but pointing out his weaknesses is part of the fans responsibility.

Good Lord, this is a perfect example of why some of our fanbase is so ****** up. Pointing out a team's or player's weakness is not a fan's responsibility, it's a right.

• Content Count:  1,142

Matt is just doing what all jrs should do it just gives you an idea where you are and what you need to work on...nothing else..does not want to leave..is very happy....   I am truly ashamed to hear all the stuff I am hearing...As a QB when things are good so are you..when they get a little rough you are the scum of the earth...he is far from inflating himself...those that know him know that.  I really have nothing else to say except way to stand behind your QB when things are down  jeese..

I can understand talking about his mistakes but to personally attack him is somewhat mind boggling...but I have to remmember..things will be good soon  could start Sun. night.

Again he does not think he will go to the NFL early...does not want to leave BUlls..and is happy with the Bulls.....just seeing what he needs to work on to get there!!!

WOW!!

Says who?  Why is that a fan's responibility?  I thought a fan's responsibility was to SUPPORT your team!!!  I understand we all have opinions, but name calling and verbal abuse of a player is across the line.  I'm NOT saying you did that, but several have.

As to his dad defending him...what parent wouldn't defend their child?  Give me a break!

Flip~ Keep up the good work!  You've obviously done something right!!!  GO BULLS!

Good Lord, this is a perfect example of why some of our fanbase is so ****** up. Pointing out a team's or player's weakness is not a fan's responsibility, it's a right.

I don't think a handfull of vocal posters on our message board represents our fan base.  I for one am a Grothe fan and want him to come back next year.  I doubt he will go to the NFL (or has a shot after USF's performance this year).  That being said, we have a lot of things to fix in the off season.  I also hope Selvie stays...

WOW!!

Says who?  Why is that a fan's responibility?  I thought a fan's responsibility was to SUPPORT your team!!!  I understand we all have opinions, but name calling and verbal abuse of a player is across the line.  I'm NOT saying you did that, but several have.

As to his dad defending him...what parent wouldn't defend their child?  Give me a break!

Read DWOWARP8's responses under the Matt to NFL thread, and you'll know what you are dealing with. 

I believe that 99% of fans at the USF games are true USF Fans and support the team no matter what.  I believe that a very vocal 5% of posters on this board are negative all, or most of the time, on any topic.  They like the ability to bad mouth someone or everything when it is going wrong.  Quite a few names come to mind, but I am sure you can guess who they are.

So, my thought is if a person is already a "negative Nelly" why try to conviince them otherwise....  I'd rather hang with those who are more positive.

That is not to say I am never negative, but I like to take a more realistic / pragmatic view point to an issue, and I'll lean more to optiistic rather than pessimistic view when given a choice.   

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

I don't think a handfull of vocal posters on our message board represents our fan base.  I for one am a Grothe fan and want him to come back next year.  I doubt he will go to the NFL (or has a shot after USF's performance this year).  That being said, we have a lot of things to fix in the off season.  I also hope Selvie stays...

your hilarious. because i talk bad about the team im not fan? sorry i dont wear green and gold glasses all the time. sorry i want to actually win. ive been a fan of this team since they begin, heck i was a fan of usf athletics in general when i was born. so what you and these other kool aid drinkers think is pure garbage. no wonder our fan base sucks. we have people who dont care about winning

• Content Count:  1,894

I understand stay positive, but it's tough to say because people are negitive on this board they aren't true fans, if anything true fans want answers as well, they want changes when stuff isn't going right. I will venture on some negitive posts and esp recently, but im at every game I can go to, when the game starts regardless of past games Im rooting for the players. I dont think Ben is our best option, but when the game starts Im rooting for him. This is my team, i got the tattoo on my arm forever cuz of the pride I got for being a part of this program, but if i say something negitive, it doesn't make me less of a fan of this team.

your hilarious. because i talk bad about the team im not fan? sorry i dont wear green and gold glasses all the time. sorry i want to actually win. ive been a fan of this team since they begin, heck i was a fan of usf athletics in general when i was born. so what you and these other kool aid drinkers think is pure garbage. no wonder our fan base sucks. we have people who dont care about winning

I think what we are saying is we do not attach the individual athletes.  And especially not Grothe.  Not that it is taboo to criticize him, just that a more objective person could see the whole picture and realize that Grothe is one of the few people who has actually contributed positively to our wins this year.  Our D has let us down a lot more than our offense, hard to believe, but true.  Grothe's numbers up through the week prior, were actually better than last year's to this point.  He is our leading rusher.  What top 25 team has their leading rusher as their QB in every game - none.  We have to count on that becasue the other 10 guys on the field are not doing their part.

There are times when a QB change is called for.  And the numbers would support that.  But not this year, not this team.  I wouldn't estimate that more than 5% of our issues are related to Grothe (okay, a few overthrown/underthrown passes, and ints this last game) but otherwise look at his WR's blowing their routes.  The weak play calling.  The line giving up the pocket.  The OC for making him stay in the pocket.  THe Defense letting the opponent march down the field and answer every time we score.  Etc....   The fricken problems are huge, not minor, and calling out arguably one of our top 5 players, is insane....

Do I have green / gold glasses, absolutely - always will.  But I think we have systemic / programatic issues.  Not isolated, tactical ones.  Grothe is not the reason we are 6 - 4.  Especiallly not hte "4" part of that record.

Archived