• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So where will USF be ranked tomorrow?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

I say #14 Polls, #14 BCS

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  126

Pitt thumped Navy today they are looking better every week.  I hope they fall somewhere along the way. If we are to get an at large bid we need to win out and hope people ahead of us also lose. If we are to get an automatic bid we need Pitt to lose twice

Games Pitt could potentially go down

Rutgers Oct 25th not likely but they did beat Uconn today

@ Notre Dame Nov 1st (non conference) just help us outrank them

L'ville Nov 8th

@ Cinci  Nov 22nd (this is after a bye week so they will probably beat them but cicni is capable of an upset)

WVU Nov 28th  WVU owes them one from last year its a Friday game and a rivalry so who knows.

Uconn Dec 6th  Uconn may be playing better ball by then and they are a good squad

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Will the Bulls be Top 15?

1. Texas (39) 6-0 1,599

2. Alabama (26) 6-0 1,582

3. Penn State 7-0 1,492

4. Oklahoma 5-1 1,306

5. Florida 5-1 1,284

6. USC 4-1 1,247

7. Texas Tech 6-0 1,210

8. Oklahoma State 6-0 1,184

9. Brigham Young 6-0 1,131

10. Georgia 5-1 1,081

11. Missouri 5-1 984

12. Ohio State 6-1 908

13. LSU 4-1 893

14. Utah 7-0 834

15. Boise State 5-0 714

16. Kansas 5-1 620

17. Virginia Tech 5-1 540

18. North Carolina 5-1 416

19. South Florida 5-1 397

20. Michigan State 6-1 371

21. Wake Forest 4-1 330

22. Vanderbilt 5-1 258

23. Pittsburgh 4-1 182

24. Ball State 7-0 166

25. California 4-1 115

Others Receiving Votes

Tulsa 84, TCU 61, Minnesota 48, Florida State 38, Georgia Tech 25, South Carolina 9, Kentucky 7, Oregon 4, Northwestern 3, Notre Dame 1, Cincinnati 1. Maryland and Boston College may sneak in too.

We will definitely jump by default at least to #16; as high as #14 if BYU and Mizzou fall below us (which I fully expect). There is the chance that Pitt gets put ahead of us, which frankly, I think is only fair. Therefore, I predict we will be #15 in both polls, and even if Pitt is ahead of us in the human polls, the computers put us ahead to #14 over Pitt in the BCS poll for a harder nonconference schedule (we both have a win over a ranked team, but their loss came against a currently 3-4 MAC team, Bowling Green).

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

we'll obviously be 14th or 15th in the AP and Coaches polls.

For those of you that think this doesn't matter...we could be as high as #5 after next week:

No. 15 Boise State at San Jose State

No. 2 Alabama at Tennessee

No. 7 Texas Tech at No. 16 Kansas

No. 4 Oklahoma at Kansas State

Kentucky at No. 5 Florida

No. 10 Georgia at No. 13 LSU

No. 8 Oklahoma State at No. 1 Texas

Rutgers at No. 23 Pittsburgh

No. 3 Penn State at No. 12 Ohio State

No. 6 USC at Arizona

10 games that could help us.  I would not bet that Tennessee, K-State, Kentucky, or Rutgers win, but those others are plausible.  That would still be as high as #9 if Boise, Texas Tech, Georgia/LSU, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, and USC lose.  I would think it's likely that OK State and OSU lose, so we'd at least be 12th with all those other games in play to move up...

We could have an at-large BCS bid at stake even if Pitt doesn't lose twice.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

For those of you that think this doesn't matter...we could be as high as #5 after next week:

No. 6 USC at Arizona

10 games that could help us.  I would not bet that Tennessee, K-State, Kentucky, or Rutgers win, but those others are plausible.  That would still be as high as #9 if Boise, Texas Tech, Georgia/LSU, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, and USC lose.  I would think it's likely that OK State and OSU lose, so we'd at least be 12th with all those other games in play to move up...

Losses by Texas, Alabama, Penn State or Oklahoma probably wouldn't be enough to push us past those teams. Losses by Florida or Oklahoma State would be toss-ups as far as whether or not we pass them.

I think Pitt jumps us, and to be honest it is hard to make a convincing arguement why they shouldn't.  Polls really aren't that important to us anymore.  We win the BE and we are going to a BCS bowl.

There's a bit of a problem with your statement.

USF needs help to win the Big East (specifically 2 losses by Pitt).

Which means the only other way USF gets a BCS bis is...

wait for it

dependent upon the polls!

I think you are confusing correlation with causation.  If Pitt loses they will fall in the polls, but they don't have to fall in the polls to loose.

No, not really.

You said polls don't matter and if USF wins out we are in the BCS.

But that is only true if Pitt loses twice -- otherwise, the only way USF gets a BCS bowl is if we get votes in the polls.

So polls DO matter.

No. 6 USC at Arizona

Only three of those games could really help us - and then only if the higher seeded team wins.

San Jose State won't beat Boise State.  OK State losing to Texas may or may not drop them past USF.

No. 6 USC at Arizona

Losses by Texas, Alabama, Penn State or Oklahoma probably wouldn't be enough to push us past those teams. Losses by Florida or Oklahoma State would be toss-ups as far as whether or not we pass them.

With the possibility of being 5th if all 10 games go our way, it would depend.  Obviously, it is more likely for half that amount, but I think at least 3 happen.  It would be easier for Texas and Penn State to win.  They are likely to beat the teams they are playing, which would help us.  That's what I include in the 10 possibilities.  However, Bama and Oklahoma would be losing to unranked teams.  For Bama, their wins are already less impressive than they seemed, and Oklahoma has already lost so a loss to an unranked team could drop them a decent amount.  Those are just 2 of the least likely possibilities, though, so like I said, it would depend.

I think UF losing to ANOTHER unranked team would drop them 8 spots and OK State would drop 5 spots if they lost.  Very few teams avoid a 5 spot drop.  Oklahoma did, but they lost to another top-5 team.

I think top-10 is a good possibility, assuming we beat Louisville, of course, which is certainly not a given.

No. 6 USC at Arizona

Only three of those games could really help us - and then only if the higher seeded team wins.

San Jose State won't beat Boise State.  OK State losing to Texas may or may not drop them past USF.

Your first statement is absolutely false.  All of those games COULD help us.  I also think it is almost guaranteed that OK State would drop below us if they lost.  It wouldn't be that many spots because I think Penn State wins, too.  All of the teams playing unranked teams could drop pretty far.  Of course it depends on how many lose, but they all COULD help.

Oh, and San Jose State is 5-2 so they could compete with Boise State.  I am not saying I'd pick them, but at least it's not on the blue turf.  It's not like Boise has played anyone besides Oregon, whom they beat by 5.

Oh, and Texas Tech would outright drop below us.  Kansas is lucky so many other teams lost so they'll stay ranked, but Texas Tech's first game this season is Kansas.  Oh, my bad, they played Nebraska...and went into OT...a lot of people in the media say they are overrated so they won't get the benefit of the doubt.

Look, the point here is that there are a lot of options for moving up with those games.  If only the LSU/Georgia game helps, then obviously we won't move up much.

No. 6 USC at Arizona

Your first statement is absolutely false.  All of those games COULD help us.  I also think it is almost guaranteed that OK State would drop below us if they lost.  It wouldn't be that many spots because I think Penn State wins, too.  All of the teams playing unranked teams could drop pretty far.  Of course it depends on how many lose, but they all COULD help.

Oh, and San Jose State is 5-2 so they could compete with Boise State.  I am not saying I'd pick them, but at least it's not on the blue turf.  It's not like Boise has played anyone besides Oregon, whom they beat by 5.

Oh, and Texas Tech would outright drop below us.  Kansas is lucky so many other teams lost so they'll stay ranked, but Texas Tech's first game this season is Kansas.  Oh, my bad, they played Nebraska...and went into OT...a lot of people in the media say they are overrated so they won't get the benefit of the doubt.

Look, the point here is that there are a lot of options for moving up with those games.  If only the LSU/Georgia game helps, then obviously we won't move up much.

Okay, you're right. Hypothetically speaking, they all COULD help us. But being realistic, there won't be 10 upsets.  Kansas will drop below USF this week anyway, but I don't see them beating Tech -- the Kansas D couldn't stop Grothe, how can they stop Harrell?  And San Jose State has played even worse teams than Boise State (3 pt win over a Div II team?), and lost their only two games against BCS teams.

Arizona might be the only real "upset" special listed there, and with every media member in love with USC, they won't drop that far.  OK State won't drop more than 5 or 6 spots with a loss at Texas (unless it's a 56-31 blowout) -- as a top team losing to another top team does not drop.

So, I only see Ohio State and the LSU/UGa loser dropping below USF.

And I would love a Rutgers win... but I don't see it at Heinz Field.