• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

good possibility for BE 9th team

SRQ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

If not Tulane then what about Delaware... not sure what they would bring to the BE except that they are a state team and bring the entire Delaware tv market into the BE...

I'm a native Delawarean and all respect due to the First State, I've got to laugh at that one. There is no "Delaware TV Market" per se, in the sense that there are no networks native to DE. Northern Delaware (including UD) is in the Philly market, and I don't think there's enough following of them in that market for a viable impact.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I'm a native Delawarean and all respect due to the First State, I've got to laugh at that one. There is no "Delaware TV Market" per se, in the sense that there are no networks native to DE. Northern Delaware (including UD) is in the Philly market, and I don't think there's enough following of them in that market for a viable impact.

Really that's not good then, I figured that since they are pretty much the only team in the state then the market would be captive and thus easy to tap...

Oh well then what about Tulane, they bring a large tv market and a bowl game to the BE...

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Really that's not good then, I figured that since they are pretty much the only team in the state then the market would be captive and thus easy to tap...

Oh well then what about Tulane, they bring a large tv market and a bowl game to the BE...

in 3 years tulane will not have football

Really? I can't find a link about them loosing football...

I honestly think that Tulane would be a good addition, they had some good seasons not too long ago, and the market is lucrative that they are in, especially with a rivalry game against LSU. Plus being in the Big East may make them better and allow them to draw in better recruits - look what it has done for USF Football.

I think this is how the Big East should size up schools to add to the Conference... if you do that then it opens up at least 5-6 teams that could be in the running.

• Content Count:  260

Really? I can't find a link about them loosing football...

I honestly think that Tulane would be a good addition, they had some good seasons not too long ago, and the market is lucrative that they are in, especially with a rivalry game against LSU. Plus being in the Big East may make them better and allow them to draw in better recruits - look what it has done for USF Football.

I think this is how the Big East should size up schools to add to the Conference... if you do that then it opens up at least 5-6 teams that could be in the running.

Tulane's football is bleeding money - thay are struggling to remain D1A.  http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEFD81039F932A25755C0A9659C8B63  (I know it is an old story, but still relevant)

Tulane is a private school with a small fan base, and aren't really a good geographic fit either.  Being a private institution, they would not bring in the NO market any more than BC brought in the Boston market (or Temple the Philly market, even though Temple is a public university).  IMO not a viable option.

Well shoot you have a good point... I'll have to think it over and come back with another team later... will give me something to do this weekend.

Guest nybullsfan

Saying that adding Tulane would bring the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, or that adding Memphis would bring the Liberty Bowl (as mentioned in another thread), is like saying that adding USF would have brought the Outback Bowl to the Big East. Just because a school plays in the same stadium means nothing about the conference associations for the bowl game that uses that stadium.

Georgetown and Nova both play BE basketball and D1AA football, but neither is interested in moving to 1A. Even if they wanted to make the move, adding them wouldn't make the BE a better football conference. They'll never get to be powerhouses, at least not for another 15 years or so. Same goes for ANY D1AA program - even Appy State or Delaware. We don't need an anemic Duke / Vandy / Northwestern type (we already have Cuse) - we need another GOOD football program. Also, other than PSU, no current ACC / SEC / B10 / B12 / P10 team could even be considered - why would they jump??

Anyway, let's look at the D1A candidates:

The biggest obstacle is that the BE already has 16 basketball teams, it would be impossible to bring in an all-sports school unless basketball went to 17+ teams, or a b-ball-only team got kicked out. Highly unlikely, but who would be good?

1. Penn State: Great football, alumni, and TV ratings. Got vetoed by Pitt before, and are unlikely to leave the B10 now, even if they were invited.

2. Memphis: Good TV market, not terrible in football, and would add a LOT to the basketball league.

These teams might be willing to join as football-only. Again, unlikely, but who would be good candidates?

1. Navy and/or Army: Great TV and alum market. Good regional match. Could be good teams from time-to-time, but they will always be undersized.

2. FAU: Great TV market, will be good soon (and BE membership would help that), no bad blood with the league like UCF, could be willing to join as football-only.

3. ECU: Small TV, they made a good statement by beating WVU, and VaTech, but not consistently good enough (yet). Have already said they'd be willing to join as football-only.

4. Southern Miss: Small TV, not consistently good enough (yet). Could be a good choice someday.

5. Nobody else in CUSA or SunBelt is regionally appropriate, brings enough reputation/TV/alums, or is good enough to invite (especially Tulane!).

Teams that will never be invited, either as football-only, or as all-sport teams, and why.

1. UCF: Great TV market, decent team, but would be vetoed by USF, Pitt, and WVU. Too much bad history

2. Marshall: No TV, not that good, would be vetoed by WVU. They think about Marshall the same way we think about UCF

Last, and very much least, teams with an open invitation, who are actively snubbing the Big East

1. Notre Dame: As long as they have the NBC contract, they make far more $$ from football as an independent than they would as a BE member. Those Bas**rds!!

Much as I would like the BE to expand, unless Notre Dame decides to bite the bullet and play a full league schedule, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

:deadhorse

• Content Count:  277

I think an important thing to consider is what will the Big East do when/if the Big 10 expands eastward and steals either Louisville, Cincinnati, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers or West Virginia.  I bet the Big 10 will add a 12th team in a few years and here are their options if the go east - Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, West Virginia, south - Louisville, Kentucky, Cincinnati or west - Missouri. 

What will the Big East do for an 8th team if the Big 10 takes from them?

• Content Count:  260

I think an important thing to consider is what will the Big East do when/if the Big 10 expands eastward and steals either Louisville, Cincinnati, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers or West Virginia.  I bet the Big 10 will add a 12th team in a few years and here are their options if the go east - Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, West Virginia, south - Louisville, Kentucky, Cincinnati or west - Missouri. 

What will the Big East do for an 8th team if the Big 10 takes from them?

I dont think the B10 is looking or even overly interested in expanding but,

Big 10 would not consider Louisville, Cincy, or WVU based on academics.  (Big 10 is as much about academic (snobbery) as it is athletics).  I honestly think the Big 10 will not expand unless and until ND is ready to join, but barring that, Pitt would be ****-blocked by PSU as long as JoPa is there, leaving Syracuse or Rutgers, which may indeed get consideration.  Kentucky will not leave the SEC and I do not think Missouri would abandon its historical conference and geographic ties, but is a possiblity. 

IMHO the B10 really doesnt need or necessarily want to expand or have a championship game - they have great bowl tie-ins and are very likely to get 2 teams in the BCS more often than not due to political bull-**** (that is why Illinois and not Missouri got to play in the BCS Rose Bowl last year).  so the incentives aren't really there - the conference is already loaded and already generates tons of money so they really doesnt need a championship game.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think (and this is only my opinion) that Missouri would jump to the Big Ten in a heartbeat.

Archived