• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

National Title Game: Your USF BULLS!!!

Zonald

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

Return of The Scorpion: College Football's Leading Authority?

The Scorpion, also known as Cy Simonbaum, once made a living from laying points and taking the money from young fools and middle-aged dreamers. A longtime acquaintance, Cy was known around the joints as "the Scorpion" because of the sting he brought when he took your money.

I once asked him how he had the nerve to take advantage of people who may have so little money to spare? He replied "It is natural, the great element of the universe put sheep here to be fleeced, there would be no balance in creation if there were no givers and no takers".

But this is not an article regarding the perils of commencing to odd-man with this knowledgeable old pro, rather some moments of a recent visit from a friend who spends his time doing work for the weary and the less fortunate, perhaps to simply bring balance to his own life as well.

"You still follow football, Cy?"

"Sure, I keep the set on when Miriam is not watching, you know how it is on Saturdays in the neighborhood, I just don't tell everyone my business".

"Do you have any thoughts on this college football season, such as who the best teams are?"

"Voy, you trying to get to the magic question without paying your dues?"

Without reluctance I rose and poured him a glass of red wine. Relaxed, he detailed his thoughts in the following manner.

"Living in Florida, I can tell you the best teams are in Florida. It's all the kids do, all they think about". Florida State, that's the one you better look out for in the ACC, South Florida, that's the one you better look out for in the (Big) East, goes without saying Florida in the SEC."

Asking Cy how he saw the national scene, he informed me "it's Penn State and SC with the big following, that's where the money will be made by the smart-guys, by Vegas, and elsewhere.

"If it's not those two someone will be angry, because that gives you (the) New York and L.A. media markets, and that's where all the people live who believe they know more than the wise guys." "Pouring water on a drowning man".

"How about the Big 12?"

"It's Nebraska you better look out for, Missouri has no defense and nobody has beaten the Cornhuskers yet." I asked about Oklahoma. "Lots of ghosts between the ears".

Texas? "What about Texas, look at the defensive backs' size, speed, and experience and then look at the the passers around that league."

"Who would you say is most likely to play in the national title game, Cy?" He gave me the following teams: "South Florida, if they get past UConn, Penn State, if they get past the road trips in the Big 10, Florida, if they get past Tennessee and Florida State, that's their two nemesis whenever they think they're going all the way."

"SC, they have a more difficult schedule than people think. You believe you throw your helmet out there and people will give up? That's when you will get beat."

Who do you think will win the national title? "Doesn't make any difference to me, I've got no stake in that". But, I persisted, just for the sake of argument, who would you say?

"The easiest road is Florida State and South Florida, the more likely is Florida and SC, but don't forget Penn State."

"If it is Penn St and SC, look for Penn St to win it all". How is that possible Cy?

"Because the last man to beat Joe Paterno in a national championship game has been dead for over 25 years."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/59185-return-of-the-scorpion-college-footballs-leading-authority

• Content Count:  4,642

awesome thought but it will never happen so long as we're less than 30 yrs old.  no one will vote us in because the traditional schools will lobby to get their teams into the game instead.

• Content Count:  1,238

awesome thought but it will never happen so long as we're less than 30 yrs old.  no one will vote us in because the traditional schools will lobby to get their teams into the game instead.

What are you talking about? We win all of our games and (provided there arent 2 other great undefeated teams) were in the NC game.

Where were you last year? We were right in position to win out and be in the game. There is no doubt it would of been us vs OSU if we had won out... With OSU being as overrated as they were last year we probly would have won that game too. ******* rutgers.

• Content Count:  637

PSU won't be making it to the national championship, and neither will freaking FSU.

• Content Count:  637

******* rutgers.

Rutgers sucks, but they had nothing to do with us losing to UConn and Cincinnati. Never mind Oregon.

• Content Count:  1,457

Bulls will play in Miami 2 x this year!

• Content Count:  1,260

Had we won out last year we would have been the only undefeated and ranked #1. No doubt we would have played for the title in that instance, and this year is no different. If we go undefeated it can happen...not sure why there are so many ppl who do not yet believe!!  ;)

Archived