• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Handle Hoyas 2-1 in first BIG EAST game

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

Bulls Handle Hoyas 2-1 in first BIG EAST game

TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 17 University of South Florida men’s soccer team defeated the No. 22 Georgetown Hoyas 2-1 in the first BIG EAST game at the North Kehoe Field in Washington, D.C.

“It was a nice with a win in the BIG EAST on the road is great,” said USF head coach George Kiefer. “I really take my hat off to our guys who were down 1-0 to a top 25 team and battled back to tie in the first half.  The second goal when Armante kicked it towards the goal and to have Bernardo head it in was great and is one of the better goals I have seen. I think we have a lot of guys contributing and all the guys coming off the field know that guys coming on the field are just as good.”

The Hoyas made the first move of the game, scoring in the 11th minute, when Georgetown got one into the back of the net. After several failed attempts and some great saves by sophomore goalkeeper, Jeff Attinella, the Bulls answered back with two minutes remaining the first half.

In the 43rd minute, Kevon Neaves fired a shot that the goalie deflected, which then allowed the ball to remain in the box, and junior, Jorge Mora zipped it pass the goalie. It was Mora’s first goal of the year and first as a USF Bull. That was only the second goal of the year that the Hoyas have given up in the first half at their home field. 

With ten seconds remaining in the first half, Bernardo Anor fired a shot that was just wide that would have the Bulls up by one.

In the second half, the Bulls came out confidentially with three shots and showing more aggression both on offense and defense. 

In the 66th minute, Neaves passed it up to junior Zak Boggs who was running one on one with Georgetown defender and shot it just high, unable to put the Bulls ahead by one.

Preseason BIG EAST Defender of the Year, Yohance Marshall made a diving defensive play, which he sprinted from one side of the box to the other that would allow the score to remain tied in the 70th minute. 

In the 76th minute, junior, Armante Marshall kicked a long cross which allowed Anor to head it in passed the goal keeper to put the Bulls ahead by one and secure the victory for the USF.

“We have been working hard as a team,” said Anor. “Today, we showed we can win any game on the road.”

On Sunday, the Bulls will face the Pirates in the third meeting between the teams, with USF leading the series 2-0-0. The last match took place on Oct. 25, 2006 at the BIG EAST Conference Tournament where the Bulls came out on top 5-1.

“Seton Hall is a very good team at home,” said Kiefer. “Their field is sports grass the surface will be true and our team likes to play on that because we can move the ball quick.”           

Seton Hall comes into the Friday games, 4-2-0 and 0-0-0 in the BIG EAST. The Pirates are led by Samuel Petrone who has scored eight goals for Seton Hall this year.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

Nice win . . . always tough on the road.  Looks like they've recovered from the meltdown at Notre Dame.

Archived