• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF to another conference?

Jihme

Guest nybullsfan

I'm sure Florida State and Miami would love another Florida school in the ACC about as much as Florida would lobby for another Florida school to get into the SEC.

It's not gunna happen.  BEast expansion is a more likely unlikely scenario.

I agree - this will never happen, why would Miami or FSU want another fish in their pond? Plus given the current length of a NCAA season the ACC and SEC are as large as they can be, now if they added 2-3 more games then expansion would be necessary, but given the current system I'd say no.

BE expansion is the only way to go... add 4 more teams, make a Southern and Northern Division, either bring in ND or kick them out, and maybe sacrifice some Basketball teams to accomplish this goal...

My top 4 teams are:

1.) East Carolina

2.) Southern Mississippi

3.) Marshall

4.) Notre Dame (if they will join us in fball)

Not trying to bring out the horse to beat it, just throwing up my 2 cents...

:deadhorse

Marshall is to WVU what UCF is to us. The annoying little brother that follows you around everywhere, but mom won't let you pound him like he deserves.

:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

In order to have a conference championship game, a conference must have a minimum of 12 teams. Here are the conferences with at least 12 teams.

ACC

Big 12

C-USA

MAC (13)

SEC

The Big 10 has 11 teams and is waiting for the Conference of Notre Dame to merge with it. The PAC-10 has 10 teams. The Mountain West has 9 teams. The WAC has 9 teams. The Sun Belt has 8 teams and so does the Big East has 8 teams.

Why would the ACC, Big 12 or the SEC add a 13th team when they already have a championship game and only have to split money 12 ways? Why would the Big 12 or SEC split when they have been doing well for decades as they are? Why would the ACC split when it just put itself together? As noted above the Big 10+ is waiting to merge with the Conference of Notre Dame. IF the PAC 10 ever decided to expand then they would take teams from the west coast and not the west coast of Florida. :)

The BE already has a BCS auto bid, so why would USF leave the BE to to to the really weak Sun Belt? The MWC and WAC would be like the PAC 10 and not worth USF's interest.

So that leaves the BE expansion. As I understand it, the only way the BE will expand is IF the football and basketball schools split. Based on money considerations, I don't think they will any time soon. It would be possible when the next BCS contract comes up and I think it would only happen if the BE were to lose the BCS tag. IF the BE keeps the BCS tag in the next BCS contract, then I think the BE will not expand.

Yeah, I think that the SEC or ACC would JUMP at the chance of taking a UCF club that is:

0-forever against ranked opponents, 2-29 (or close) against BCS opponents, and has never been ranked.

Sounds plausible to me.

Now, to the real question. I'm sorry, you are wrong and lose the $64,000 question.

UCiF is 2 and 38 (5%) all time vs the BCS. The two wins were vs 3-8 Alabama in 2000 and 5-7 NC State last year.

USF is 17 and 21 (44.74) all time vs the BCS. You can debate which was the biggest win.

You are correct that UCiF is 0 and 19 vs ranked I-A opponents. USF is 5-8 vs ranked (AP) which is a 38.46% win rate.

Kizarvexis

Truthfully... conferences do NOT make expansions choices based on football ONLY... there are other sports the conferences play...

Did you know USF won more Conference USA championships than any other school?  This and our TV market are why USF is in the Big East... football was almost an after thought...

Oh... and in case you're wondering... UCF's teams were in the Atlantic Sun before they moved to C-DOA.

• Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

Kick out Syracuse, send them to C-USA. Bring in ECU from C-USA.

Rediculous idea. Syracuse has deep tradition and great basketball. Just because they have a bad coach right now doesnt mean they deserve to be booted from the league. They still have good fan support despite sucking and they have more name recognition than we do.

Guest nybullsfan

Did you know USF won more Conference USA championships than any other school?

Really? When we were only in the conference for, what, 2 years?

:link

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I'm thinking PAC-10.  I'm sure they'd like to expand into Florida for recruiting purposes.  Though it might substantially cut into my road trips.

NO.  Pac-10 or 10 teams in Pacific Coast States (minus Arizona) would not do that,  Even if they would it would be stupid.  Traveling 3000 miles for Conference play would be a waste, and not plausible.

I wouldnt mind the ACC. Even though the ACC is having a down year too, we would get more respect.

Not sure, but I have heard some stuff about not having more that 2 teams from the same state in a conference.  This could be B.S. or not, but I would prefer SEC, even though we are still building to be able to play at that level.  I thinnk the SEC has proven themselves, especially recently, to be the best conference in the NCAA.

according to this guy on the ucf board, ucf is going to the acc or the sec in a couple of years. he is absolutely sure of it... always talking in secret.. saying that he cant say much ... that work is being done underneath everythin... that a lot of people will be jealous and pissed off at ucf. has any of you seen his post?

That would be a slap in our faces.  UCF would love to rub that in our face.  They are not worthy of such.  Southern Miss would be a better add if they build up some more, however I am not sure more than 2 teams from the same state can be in a conference, though Pac-10 has 4 california teams.

You musta been reading my mind!

I was just signing in to add a new poll on this very subject. (Hey Moderators, is it possible to "add" a poll question to an existing thread?)

Option 1: Stay in the BE and own it. Big fish in a little pond scenario. Regardless of whether the roundball schools ever let us expand or not.

Option 2: Move to the SEC. Little fish fighting hard in the big ocean.

Before you say, "Never gonna happen! SEC will never invite us!", that's not the point. The point is, IF they DID invite us, would you rather we played in the SEC, with such a small chance of winning it, or play in the BE, where we have a good shot at dominance?

ACC is not included in the poll, since it would be only marginally different than staying in the BE. Besides, there's already 2 Fla schools. But then again, there's 4 NC schools, so I guess it could be done.

B10, B12, P10 not included for obvious geographic reasons. But then again, we're not exactly co-located with the other BE schools, eh?

Exactly.  IF SEC invited us, that would be the #1 scenario.  But another team would need to join SEC west i think.  We are already starting to raid recruiting in the state, so UF would not like us raiding even more IF we were high enough caliber to be SEC.  Working on it, but still not quite there.  We would have to beat every SEC team we came across. 

Archived