• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can USF mend the little things to be a top 10 team?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

I would love to see USF in the top 10, but right now I don't think we are top 10 material.

I think finding a kicker and shoring up special teams a little bit really helped -so I think our current ranking is fair.

However, the other teams ahead of us are going to lose, starting this weekend. Eventually, we will move up.

Now, the question is this: what must we do to be a top 10 team (to be top 10 material, regardless of the voting)?

Here's my short list:

1) Energy. Look at our star athletes, they always play 100%. I think the team needs to do that each and every game.

2) Coaching experiments on offense. A top 10 team knows what works and doesn't.

3) Tackling. You don't see top 10 teams not wrapping up.

4) A dangerous returner: A top 10 team needs to make things happen on special teams.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

1) Energy. Look at our star athletes, they always play 100%. I think the team needs to do that each and every game.

I notice this too.  But I am encouraed because, we haven't even got hot yet.  Last year we peaked between weeks 2-4.  The cool part is that our penalties are way down this year.  IMO, excess energy often equals penalties.

Win. That is it. 

Our schedule is nice and easy for a few weeks... at least until the Louisville-Cincinnati road trips.  Going to the Ville, we'll be 7-0 and in the Top 10.  It doesn't matter how we win, just that we keep winning.

Regardless of what little things USF does or doesn't do -- it is a Top 12 team right now.  After this weekend, we will likely be a Top 10 team (assuming we win).

So, I will tell you, the only thing that matters for staying in the top 10 is winning.

Oh, and for your four points... I would point out that LSU last year ran all kinds of trick plays and experiments (that 4th down call against Auburn was gutsy)... and they did not have a "dangerous returner"... that only leaves "tackling"... which I would say is never a problem when you're winning.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

I would love to see USF in the top 10, but right now I don't think we are top 10 material.

I think finding a kicker and shoring up special teams a little bit really helped -so I think our current ranking is fair.

However, the other teams ahead of us are going to lose, starting this weekend. Eventually, we will move up.

Now, the question is this: what must we do to be a top 10 team (to be top 10 material, regardless of the voting)?

Here's my short list:

4) A dangerous returner: A top 10 team needs to make things happen on special teams.

First, one of the teams above us will lose when LSU beats Auburn this weekend.

Things we must do to get in Top 10: 

Just read that Buie doesn't have a tackle this year?  I thought he was in on a sack.  So let's start there - get a tackle from our Def ends not named Selvie.

Tackling, rather than hitting, should be emphasized.  We don't need you on Sportscenter, we need you to stop the guy with the ball.

Score TDs in the red zone.  Not as much of an issue this year so far so continue to do that.

Force more turnovers and continue not turning the ball over.

WIN

Only on the defensive line, am I dissapointed by the apparent experimentation taking place.  We got Selvie and then a bunch of randoms.  I know we need a DL rotation but, besides Selvie, who the heck can get to the QB and/or disrupt?

I think the WR and RB's are being managed wonderfully this year.  I'll even go further to say that Coach Gregory has his boys more ready to play than Coach Burnham does at this point.

Just read that Buie doesn't have a tackle this year?  I thought he was in on a sack.  So let's start there - get a tackle from our Def ends not named Selvie.

Buie is costing Selvie a lot of money this year.

I mean, we expected the double teams.  But wouldn't it be nice for Buie to get a push and engage the blocking back so George doesn't have to deal with triple teams?

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Buie is costing Selvie a lot of money this year.

I mean, we expected the double teams.  But wouldn't it be nice for Buie to get a push and engage the blocking back so George doesn't have to deal with triple teams?

I've watched Buie very closely all year.  He's not necessarily playing bad, he's been able to mount a very formidable pass rush, and is always in pursuit, but he's just not a finisher at the college level.  He's always a step away, or a move away.  Buie's got to be committed to getting to the QB more efficiently.  If he can put in that extra effort to get there a half-second faster he'll find himself in on a ton more big plays. 

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Here's my short list:

i wouldnt call these things little

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

we could use better punt and kick returning.

yeah, i said that after the first week and got blasted for it.

Archived