• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kind of out of the blue here

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I cannot believe people still think that you can still redshirt if you play even a single down (provided you don't qualify for  medical redshirt)

come on-- we've gone over this crap like 1 million times already. The redshirt is gone and he needs the reps to e the #2 next year. WE CANNOT COUNT ON A MEDICAL REDSHIRT FOR GRANT GREGORY. Look how well that turned out for Mauk at Cinci. No-- let's get him ready to step in as a backup next season and be ready to keep the train rolling forward in 09/10

Agreed.  Also, let's trust our staff with recruiting.  He'll have the chance to be the starter for at least 2 years.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642

Redshirt him please!!  I want him as a three year starter, not a two year starter.  Why burn this year for a few meaningless snaps?  He can get all the experience he needs next year.

Normal

Too late.  He played and has no injury to back it up.

He can still redshirt if he doesn't participate in more than 10% of the season.

Nope...

You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/faqs/faqs_eligibility_seasons.html

how come in different interviews CJL talked about whether or not he still wants to redshirt daniels?  even in media articles they are talking about whether CJL will burn the rest of daniels' redshirt?

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/792043.html

i believe that the five year rule is still applicable?  an athlete has five years to play 4 years' worth, so if BJ were to redshirt, then in his last year he would have to miss one game and play the rest, since he played one game this year.

Redshirt him please!!  I want him as a three year starter, not a two year starter.  Why burn this year for a few meaningless snaps?  He can get all the experience he needs next year.

Normal

Nope...

You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

how come in different interviews CJL talked about whether or not he still wants to redshirt daniels?  even in media articles they are talking about whether CJL will burn the rest of daniels' redshirt?

i believe that the five year rule is still applicable?  an athlete has five years to play 4 years' worth, so if BJ were to redshirt, then in his last year he would have to miss one game and play the rest, since he played one game this year.

I haven't heard that and I can't see much from the link... but that's straight from the NCAA and I think the statement is clear.  You have 5 years to be able to participate in 4 years (not measured on a per game basis).

Were JL's comments before the season?  Maybe Greg or Brett can help us out.

Normal

Nope...

I haven't heard that and I can't see much from the link... but that's straight from the NCAA and I think the statement is clear.  You have 5 years to be able to participate in 4 years (not measured on a per game basis).

From the scout article listed above:

Backup QBs: Do they continue to go with Gregory or burn B.J. Daniels' redshirt completely. My guess is the staff will stick with Gregory and try to redshirt Daniels this season since the schedule doesn't have too many more spots for a backup to get work.

The CJL interviews were from after the first game.

Normal

Nope...

From the scout article listed above:

Backup QBs: Do they continue to go with Gregory or burn B.J. Daniels' redshirt completely. My guess is the staff will stick with Gregory and try to redshirt Daniels this season since the schedule doesn't have too many more spots for a backup to get work.

The CJL interviews were from after the first game.

Not sure then.  Someone better tell the coaches or give the media a copy of the NCAA rules.  But from that quote, it does not seem like JL or any of the coaches suggested that or said that.  It looks like the writer of the article is speculating.

The NCAA rule is pretty clear to me.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Probably a pretty good bet that either Greg or Brett will have something on this based on whether or not he gets an opportunity to play and if he gets to play or not..

Regardless, it seemed at the beginning of the season CJL pretty much said there would be no redshirt for B.J.

any updates?  greg?  brett?

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Outside of a win of course, I can't really think of anything I want to see this weekend other than a healthy running back corps and some B.J. Daniels!

I would love to see B.J. get game time every game, we're going to need him.  Now, I know a lot of folks said this about Carlton Hill, but I sense B.J. is much different (despite the one fumble). 

Get him some action.  You may need him sooner than you may want to think.  Start the grooming now.

my dear misguided board leader

bj should be medical redshirted

we need him to start for 3 full years

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Outside of a win of course, I can't really think of anything I want to see this weekend other than a healthy running back corps and some B.J. Daniels!

I would love to see B.J. get game time every game, we're going to need him.  Now, I know a lot of folks said this about Carlton Hill, but I sense B.J. is much different (despite the one fumble). 

Get him some action.  You may need him sooner than you may want to think.  Start the grooming now.

my dear misguided board member,

Over fall practice, I too was in favor of a full redshirt this freshman year for B.J.

However, CJL said Daniels will play this year and will not redshirt.

Therefore, with that said, if he is not going to be redshirted, he needs maximum exposure to the game so he will be an able backup in 2009 and/or compete for the starting job.

You might need to cut back on your USC reading and really get a hold of these USF issues.

my dear misguided board member,

Over fall practice, I too was in favor of a full redshirt this freshman year for B.J.

However, CJL said Daniels will play this year and will not redshirt.

Therefore, with that said, if he is not going to be redshirted, he needs maximum exposure to the game so he will be an able backup in 2009 and/or compete for the starting job.

You might need to cut back on your USC reading and really get a hold of these USF issues.

I think there was no option when Voss left the team.  It would have been a huge risk if we only have 2 QB's available in a game.

Archived