• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kind of out of the blue here

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Redshirt him please!!  I want him as a three year starter, not a two year starter.  Why burn this year for a few meaningless snaps?  He can get all the experience he needs next year.

Normal

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winning answer

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Redshirt him please!!  I want him as a three year starter, not a two year starter.   Why burn this year for a few meaningless snaps?  He can get all the experience he needs next year.

Normal

What makes you think he wont be?

• Content Count:  1,400

Fan:  He is still eligible for a redshirt.  Players can play a few snaps in the first three games of the season and still be redshirted.  BJ did not exceed the maximum allowed in the UTM game.  He can redshirt still.

Normal

Normal I believe they got rid of that rule a few years ago no the only way to get a redshirt is if they have medical proof of an injury

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Fan:  He is still eligible for a redshirt.  Players can play a few snaps in the first three games of the season and still be redshirted.  BJ did not exceed the maximum allowed in the UTM game.  He can redshirt still.

Normal

Normal I believe they got rid of that rule a few years ago no the only way to get a redshirt is if they have medical proof of an injury

However, NCAA rules are quite clear on the use of redshirt status: any participation in any competition counts as a season of eligibility. For example, even a single play in a football game counts as participation, so coaches cannot play redshirt players at the end of a game simply to get them some experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_%28college_sports%29

• Content Count:  2,523

Not going to redshirt fellas...CJL has been pretty vocal about that from what I have seen when asked about that question.  Besides, if we grow to be a top 15 program, we'll have plenty of good recruits after 2 years of BJ, so don't worry.  He's going to need serious experience to walk into UF and win that game.  Might as well start grooming him now...

Play Grothe until up by 28 or 35 total points to impress polsters.  This should take up the first half.  Then Gregory for the 3rd and Daniels for the 4th.

We owe it to Grothe to "get his" in games like this.  I used to hate coaches who sat starters way early when I played sports bc you needed those games to pad stats for your own individual goals.  Especially in baseball.  Sure, have me in every AB when the opposing starter is throwing 93+ with an era of sub 2, but take me out after 1AB against a guy throwing 75mph bp?  Screw that!!!  All folks see at the end of the day is stats and we owe it to our starters to "get theirs" and then get them out.  Especially your QB who is on the fringe of a magical season which might be his best chance to get heisman pub.  Sure, he won't win it, but the pub from him even being mentioned would go a long way towards helping us line future pipelines with stud QBs...

Get Matt his 4 TDs and then get him out...

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Not going to redshirt fellas...CJL has been pretty vocal about that from what I have seen when asked about that question.  Besides, if we grow to be a top 15 program, we'll have plenty of good recruits after 2 years of BJ, so don't worry.  He's going to need serious experience to walk into UF and win that game.  Might as well start grooming him now...

Play Grothe until up by 28 or 35 total points to impress polsters.  This should take up the first half.  Then Gregory for the 3rd and Daniels for the 4th.

We owe it to Grothe to "get his" in games like this.  I used to hate coaches who sat starters way early when I played sports bc you needed those games to pad stats for your own individual goals.  Especially in baseball.  Sure, have me in every AB when the opposing starter is throwing 93+ with an era of sub 2, but take me out after 1AB against a guy throwing 75mph bp?  Screw that!!!  All folks see at the end of the day is stats and we owe it to our starters to "get theirs" and then get them out.  Especially your QB who is on the fringe of a magical season which might be his best chance to get heisman pub.  Sure, he won't win it, but the pub from him even being mentioned would go a long way towards helping us line future pipelines with stud QBs...

Get Matt his 4 TDs and then get him out...

Could not disagree with this more. Sorry, just not that type of guy. What if Grothe gets 3 TDs, and while running in the 4th, the team (who is hostile already because they are getting waxed) takes a cheap shot at a knee and ends his season, what are his "stats" going to look like then?

Nope, if you want stats, play golf, tennis, or horse shoes. The only stats anyone on the field (coaches and players) should care about are wins.

I would love to see MG get 2 TDs in the first half, and have enough of a lead to get out. He's not expecting the Heisman, so do you really think he needs to pad his stats?

I see what you are saying in baseball because you are way less likely to get hurt (even if that guy throwing 75 wants to hurt you, you have time to get out of the way, or turn into it and take your base). Football isn't that way to me. Too many ways to get hurt...(see Wells, Chris)

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Orlando is correct.  Save the stats-padding for Urban Meyer or Greg Schiano.  They wrote the book on it.

• Content Count:  3,574

Normal

I believe this is correct.  BJ cannot be redshirted.

• Content Count:  4,642

Redshirt him please!!  I want him as a three year starter, not a two year starter.  Why burn this year for a few meaningless snaps?  He can get all the experience he needs next year.

Normal

Too late.  He played and has no injury to back it up.

He can still redshirt if he doesn't participate in more than 10% of the season.

• Content Count:  3,574

Normal

Too late.  He played and has no injury to back it up.

He can still redshirt if he doesn't participate in more than 10% of the season.

Nope...

You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/faqs/faqs_eligibility_seasons.html

Archived