• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Okay, so are we rooting for WVU to do well tonight?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

Wouldn't it be great if we could beat a top team at the end of the season? If WV wins out, including beating a highly ranked Auburn team, then thats how we'll end the season. It can only help if voters are deciding whether to put us in the top 2 come the end of the season.

I am getting way ahead of myself...  I'm pulling for WV tonight

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Our projected SOS is in the low 70S- high 80s...so ya we need the big east to win because That will probably get a 1 loss SEC or Big 12 team a nod over.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced we go undefeated. The depth just isn't there.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

And, if we played LSU we would've been destroyed.

Just because OSU is an imposter, doesn't mean the other teams at the top wouldn't have their way with us.

Look at what Kansas managed to do to us at our house. Kansas lacks a run game and isn't even a legit top 10 team. If we played Oklahoma at a neutral site (with many more OU fans than USF) we'd be killed.

I'd take an Orange Bowl win versus a National Championship embarrassment right now.

You're missing the point, LSU wouldn't have been the opponent. They only got in because WVU laid an egg in their final game. It would have been Oh St.

...what I am getting at is...wait for it... It's not always the best two teams that play for a NC in college football. We have as good of a shot as anyone right now, and should always be pulling for teams on our schedule to help us close the gap.

As for RU, I choose not to watch their games, then I don't have to "root" for them.

And, you're missing my point...if we make the NC unless it's against OSU we'd get embarrassed. Also, OSU is overrated as a top program, but I'm not so sure we could beat them more than 50 times out of 100.

Also, most people hate that it's typically not the "best" team in the NC, I've seen people say that around here. However, we'll condone it if we're clearly not a top program (and we're not) but we make it to the NC? Love hypocrisy. I'd rather win the Sugar / Orange Bowl and build from there.

Did you expect us to beat Auburn last year on the road? They are a better program right?

I don't know if you've noticed, but we play up to our competition. I have enough confidence to say that on a neutral field, NO ONE embarrasses us. Sure, Oregon did it last year, but we clearly weren't ready for the game. I personally don't think LSU would have killed us last year. Flynn is an average QB. Hester was OK at RB (no Rice, Slaton, or Stewart). Their defense was good, don't get me wrong, but, so was ours. I would think that would be a low scoring game. They may win, but we wouldn't get killed.

By the way, assuming USC was the best of the best last year, or UGa for that matter...They weren't in the NC game. When you go to a BCS game, you're getting someone good. So, if "not the best 2 teams" are playing for the NC, what are your odds of playing one of the best 2?

I guess I agree with your theory. I don't agree that we "are clearly not a top program". I am not saying we are, the word "clearly" is the sticking point to me. How do you define it? By playing teams that are well respected and beating those teams. We have beaten KU, if UConn and WVU can win some games, UL gets back on the map, and we win all of those games, then I think we have proven our position in the polls. If, by that time, we are one of 2 undefeated teams in the nation, sure we deserve a shot at the title.

We're "clearly" not Hawaii from last year that would go into a BCS game and get destroyed because we haven't played anyone in the last 3 years.

• Content Count:  637

Did you expect us to beat Auburn last year on the road? They are a better program right?

There's a large collection of teams which have "a better program." Auburn being "a little better program maybe." Auburn is not a top 10 team though, not this year not last year. WVU definitely was last year so our wins vs WVU were more impressive than Auburn.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we play up to our competition. I have enough confidence to say that on a neutral field, NO ONE embarrasses us. Sure, Oregon did it last year, but we clearly weren't ready for the game.

So wait, how did Oregon instill confidence exactly? We weren't ready? Is that your excuse? And, is that okay? I traveled to the game and was more prepared than the team was. Without knowing it, I even stayed in the hotel that the Oregon team stayed at...they were prepared. I talked to the coach before and after the game. I honestly thought after speaking to him they had us pegged, and they did.

They may win, but we wouldn't get killed.

Yeah, you're right. We got killed by Oregon, so we wouldn't be killed by LSU  ::) ???

I don't agree that we "are clearly not a top program". I am not saying we are, the word "clearly" is the sticking point to me. How do you define it? By playing teams that are well respected and beating those teams.

I'm not referring to tradition, or even beating other conceived top programs as a way to become a "top" program. I'm simply referring to the fact that a top program is one of the 5 best in the country. We are not that team, at least it sure doesn't appear it after we had troubles falling asleep against UCF, our heated rival, and had trouble beating a borderline top 20 team. I happen to feel we're a borderline top 10 team by the way, no slight to us, we're just not "one of the best" right now.

We're "clearly" not Hawaii from last year that would go into a BCS game and get destroyed because we haven't played anyone in the last 3 years.

We could hang with many teams out there on talent, however we have two large problems: 1. consistency, 2. the lines. The top program out recruit us massively on the OL and DL, this is the area the separates us from the elite.

• Content Count:  4,642

ideally, you'd like every opponent to be 11-1 with only one loss to your team while your team is undefeated

• Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

I will root for all Big East teams vs OCC . If you dont think all the BE bashing hurts USF because the league cant win OCC, then you are wrong.

It helps USF if our conference teams do well and are ranked.

Go Big East!!! Go USF!!!!

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I hope they win, but if they lose. 

Should be fun to see the WVUstatechump ridiculed/

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I won't be happy if WVU wins, and I won't be unhappy if they lose.

If we go 12-0 we'll BCS bid regardless of our conference strength, we're not NC caliber so our SOS doesn't concern me in terms of that.

My sentiments exactly.  Based on current big east perception, NC is not gonna happen anyway... big east hast to be VERY strong for that, or every other conference falls apart like last year.  Just win our games.  I'll root for WVU tonight and UConn tomorrow, but if they lose, i'll still crack a smile :)

• Content Count:  52

Screw WVU.  If we win the conference it doesnt matter how they did.  If we got in the NC game, and thats a big if, we would probably get stomped by whoever else was there unless it is another surprise team that goes undefeated out of nowhere.  Let them doubt the BE.  We do well when we are the underdogs.

Archived