• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some thoughts from a long time UCF fan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

The advice in the post is sound... thanks for posting O_M.  I don't think that alcohol will be taken away from general seating people, at least not at this point... but should things get worse, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.  Some people on here just seem to take this whole situation too lightly, and the long term effects could mean dry games and dry tailgating.  (i don't think it will ever get to that...but if it ever were to get bad enough... anything is possible)

There's no such thing.  Nothing will change.....except for arrests due to alcohol possession.  Drunken behavior will remain the same and ejection numbers will not go down.

And this is because you can not stop people from acting like idiots - it's going to happen regardless.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The advice in the post is sound... thanks for posting O_M.  I don't think that alcohol will be taken away from general seating people, at least not at this point... but should things get worse, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.  Some people on here just seem to take this whole situation too lightly, and the long term effects could mean dry games and dry tailgating.  (i don't think it will ever get to that...but if it ever were to get bad enough... anything is possible)

There's no such thing.  Nothing will change.....except for arrests due to alcohol possession.  Drunken behavior will remain the same and ejection numbers will not go down.

And this is because you can not stop people from acting like idiots - it's going to happen regardless.

Authorities might not be able to stop it, but they can try, and we can try as fans to prevent the people we are with from acting like a-holes.  That is the whole point of this Respect-A-Bull campaign... every little bit helps.  Ignoring the problems make them worse.

• Content Count:  65

Thanks Velcro.  I don't want any of you to think that I think our OCS has solved all of our problems or that I think we are somehow superior.  Aside from the fact that we cheer for different schools we both live in relatively the same geographic region and our cities are fairly similar from a demographic and socioeconomic perspective. 

It was much worse at the CB.  Do we still have trash left behind, yes, and let me tell you the broken tent thing is usually from the rain.  My tent was destroyed during the Texas game when I left it out during the game and it poured. 

Anyway, back to the CB.  We used to have idiots setting fires in the dumpsters, homeless people hanging around selling "all kinds of things" etc.  Things were a little rough during the USF game but I chalk a lot of that up to it being a rivalry and our own frustration in the series.  I've been to every game at BHNS and for the most part things are very very tame. 

That said, I have a lot of experience working with and marketing to students and they are like cattle.  They really do want structure and control.  You can curb a lot of your problems by making things very structured for the students.  Part of that is highly programming the student tailgate experience.  Giving radio stations, and other promoters clear guidelines on what is acceptable and what isn't helps.  Regulating parking to just students will help.  You can credential visiting fans with parking passes if they buy their tickets through the school, that will help.  Encouraging the state ATF to come out and ticket underage drinkers helps.

There are lots of things you can do that will slowly make a difference.  You cannot bury your head in the sand.

• Content Count:  2,461

There are lots of things you can do that will slowly make a difference.  You cannot bury your head in the sand.

Nobody on this board will ignore bad behavior... All this argument is for nothing. The people who need the lecturing are not hardcore fans like us.

Authorities might not be able to stop it, but they can try, and we can try as fans to prevent the people we are with from acting like a-holes.  That is the whole point of this Respect-A-Bull campaign... every little bit helps.  Ignoring the problems make them worse.

They can try, but my point is those individual will never change.  Now if you have been reading any of my other posts to the million other threads out there touching on this subject, you will see that I'm all for personal responsiblity, for stopping people that are acting like a-holes, for treating the visiting team with respect, offering food/drink/conversation to all visitors to Ray Jay.........I've said this plenty of times.  But going to a dry policy will not change a **** thing and you are fooling yourself if you think it will.  That is the part I do not agree with.  But personal responsibility is our only chance to change things.  Extra Police force will not work either - just not enough to cover such a large crowd.  But if most fans step up the hospitality and respect factor, then the small percentage of a-holes will fall in line or stay at home.  But even then, there will still be those that refuse to fall in line. 

So needless to say - I'm not ignoring the problem. 

• Content Count:  1,387

Nobody on this board will ignore bad behavior... All this argument is for nothing. The people who need the lecturing are not hardcore fans like us.

Can you even call them fans?

Can you even call them fans?

they are counter-productive.  anti-fans might be a good title.

I agree, they are more like anti-fans, but their actions make us look bad... and being a younger program, we are more likely to have a higher quantity of this type of folks at the games. 

look - we both agree we all need to do our part - but here's the thing.....I don't think we have a higher quantity of these anti-fans because our program is younger.  Just look at all the programs out there........programs that have been around for a long time, and you see this type of behavior time and time again - UF, UM, UCF, Futgers, WV, service man and women at Auburn who threw stuff at our players after the OT touchdown.....the list goes on and on.  I just get mad (sticking up for USF, not the anti-fans) that people are dumping on this program for a few bad apples.  I mean come on.  Do your part, be responsible, but realize you can not police out the few bad apples......sure give it a shot......but it's just not going to cure all.  I just want to be realistic here.

it won't cure all... but it will help.  No one said we can prevent everything... but if we prevent some of it... that reflects better on us.  That is realistic.

Archived