• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Today Show Coming to USF

USFishin

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  815
  • Days Won:  0

plus if I'm not mistaken doesn't UT have a better Political Science program than USF? I could be wrong and this could have nothing to do with the decision but my friend had her undergrad in poli sci from UT and started taking grad level classes at USF and said UT is a lot better

would've been so cool to have it at the marshall center

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,479

plus if I'm not mistaken doesn't UT have a better Political Science program than USF? I could be wrong and this could have nothing to do with the decision but my friend had her undergrad in poli sci from UT and started taking grad level classes at USF and said UT is a lot better

I'm Poli Sci, not sure how USF overall program compares to UT, but USF has Susan MacManus, who is one of the top political analyists in the country and is an expert on Florida politics. She does everything from NPR and local Channel 8, and I've seen her in on national cable channels as well.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  478

USF has some really famous professors in that dept.  Susan MacMannus is quoted in the NYT all the time and Mike Gibbons just published an article in the hardest most prestigious journal in political science - and if you can take classes with them - you will love it! They love teaching AND research - but they are in the minority. for the exception of a few faculty members (MacMannus, Kiki, cheryl hall) the poli sci dept is made up of a bunch of old school guys (i.e. old white men) who hate teaching and hate publishing. UT is a teaching college - so the men and women who teach there choose to do so because they want to put teaching first - so the majority of faculty at UT actually like teaching. but they are not as well known as USF - bc USF is a R1 school and have some well known faculty. does that help?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

USF has some really famous professors in that dept.  Susan MacMannus is quoted in the NYT all the time and Mike Gibbons just published an article in the hardest most prestigious journal in political science - and if you can take classes with them - you will love it! They love teaching AND research - but they are in the minority. for the exception of a few faculty members (MacMannus, Kiki, cheryl hall) the poli sci dept is made up of a bunch of old school guys (i.e. old white men) who hate teaching and hate publishing. UT is a teaching college - so the men and women who teach there choose to do so because they want to put teaching first - so the majority of faculty at UT actually like teaching. but they are not as well known as USF - bc USF is a R1 school and have some well known faculty. does that help?

yeah, it just means the today show is being dumb and choosing to use the campus of the university that's actually down town and has "tampa" in it's name! :)

honestly I knew nothing about USF's program aside from what I heard from my friend who didn't like it compared to UT's program...so I was just grasping at possible reasons to choose UT for this over USF. I know nothing about choosing on site locations for shows and just thought if it was true they had a better program maybe that could be a factor

I spent all my time in COBA...an international relations class was the closest I got to Poli Sci class the entire time I was there or in college period for that matter

Archived