• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should I Become a Bulls Fan?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Should you become a Bulls fan?  If you have to ask, then no.  We are men and women of sound judgement, strong devotion, and unwavering loyalty.  It's not something that anybody else can or should decide for you.

Go Bulls!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  339
  • Days Won:  0

well, USF does have 8 games on national television (if you get ESPNU) this year, so it may make it a little easier to follow.

Guest BasketBull.

If you like to complain, you've found the right place. Just kidding.

Well, it's odd, I'll say that much (your approach). However, if it makes sense for you then that's all that matters.

I think "devotion" has to come from some sort of connection to USF (come to our next home game and we'll throw some beer on you -that should do it).

As for choosing among those teams, well, there's no contest! USF is superior in too many ways to count.

Good luck with your decision!

• Content Count:  879

Do you want to be awesome?

Or do I want to extend my awesomeness? Answer: yes.

Does anyone know of good bloggers who focus on the Bulls? I'm trying to gather material "arguments for" from good writers, too.

Try Greg's Blog.

The Octonian should really solidify it though.   http://nunesmagician.blogspot.com/2008/08/octonion-of-solace.html

Octonian = AWESOME

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

two thoughts.

The first, where do you live?  May want to pick a team who at least plays sometimes in that area.  Also one who is on TV enough yu can follow them (USF has 6 more ESPN games, plus a bowl game, and have already had 2 on espn).

Second, if you are a green bay fan, their colors are Green/Yellow.  Ours are Green/Gold but the Gold is often substituted with Yellow on shirts, etc...  So it will be like cheering for the packers for you.

Just my two cents.

I live in Brooklyn... but am surrounded by sports bars as far as the eye can see. I may not get to watch every single game (though I'll try) but I shouldn't have a problem getting most.

Yup, big fan of the color scheme already!  :D

If you are referring to Brooklyn, NY, as a former New Yorker who moved to Florida, you'd be nuts not to choose the Bulls.  Rutgers, UConn, Pitt and Syracuse all play against the Bulls.  You'd get to see more games with USF as your choice than the other teams you mentioned. 

Your approach towards becoming a fan is unique, to say the least.

Good hunting.  LOL

• Content Count:  15

what were the other four teams

Wake Forrest, Washington State, San Diego State, and Vandy

I'm bias, but I don't think it's much of contest.  Vandy will never really reach the next level.  Wake Forrest and USF are the only real choices.

Biases are good and what the poll is all about! But I'm not concerned so much about the winning and losing of the team (a fan never really controls that) because those things are cyclical. As a fan, you're always going to go through the good times and the bad times.

Well as for the next 10 years you'll get the most good times from USF out of that bunch.  SDSU isn't going anywhere.  Vandy is way outmatched in conference play.  Washington State won't come near USC for millenia. Wake may win the ACC this year, but FSU and UM wont be gone forever.

Plus, did you read The Octonian yet?  That's really all the proof you need.

I did. It was hilarious. And so right on. (I am in the middle of most of the other Big East teams so I have some interaction with their fans regularly.)

But, hey, it's not up to me, I've turned this over to people. I only follow the word of the people.

• Content Count:  15

Should you become a Bulls fan?  If you have to ask, then no.  We are men and women of sound judgement, strong devotion, and unwavering loyalty.  It's not something that anybody else can or should decide for you.

Go Bulls!

That's a romantic and noble notion. And I agree that fans should be devoted and loyal, I'm no stranger to that... BUT! Everyone comes to their rooting interests in different ways. Most are purely geographical, where you were born, where you grew up, where your parents grew up.

Certainly, college football usually derives from where you chose to go to school. But I chose the best school I could get into which just happened to not have a football program played at any level that I can follow. (I did attend Maroons games while in school, fun, but about high school level play.)

My point is that, yes, everything you say is true about good fans... of almost <i>any</i> team. But I don't see how my way is worse than simply being born in some particular location or having a parent who went to such-and-such school.

I've limited the poll based on criteria that I set out in the post. Each team has something that intrigues me, some reason I've watched them play over the years.

My approach may be odd and irreverent, but it's not flippant or disrespectful, that's not the intent.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

two thoughts.

The first, where do you live?  May want to pick a team who at least plays sometimes in that area.  Also one who is on TV enough yu can follow them (USF has 6 more ESPN games, plus a bowl game, and have already had 2 on espn).

Second, if you are a green bay fan, their colors are Green/Yellow.  Ours are Green/Gold but the Gold is often substituted with Yellow on shirts, etc...  So it will be like cheering for the packers for you.

Just my two cents.

I live in Brooklyn... but am surrounded by sports bars as far as the eye can see. I may not get to watch every single game (though I'll try) but I shouldn't have a problem getting most.

Yup, big fan of the color scheme already!  :D

If you are referring to Brooklyn, NY, as a former New Yorker who moved to Florida, you'd be nuts not to choose the Bulls.  Rutgers, UConn, Pitt and Syracuse all play against the Bulls.  You'd get to see more games with USF as your choice than the other teams you mentioned. 

Your approach towards becoming a fan is unique, to say the least.

Good hunting.   LOL

I was in a similar situation as Cian.  I grew up in New York and always watched college football but never really had a favorite team.  i always liked the team with the most most hype, FSU and Deion Sanders and Amp Lee, Michigan with Desmond Howard, Notre Dame with Rocket Ismail, etc.  In NY there isnt really any college football programs in the area to follow. 

It was a coincidence I attended USF in 1997 and adopted the football program, never in my wildest dreams would I be rooting for them to win the Big East and get a BCS bowl game but I guess the cards fell in my direction.  For that I am lucky. 

Oh yea, Yes you should beecome a Bulls fan. 

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Asking fans to romance you so they can win your affection is disturbing.  Instead, cheer and support the college you attended or support and cheer a local college that needs your support.  It would be great to have another Bulls fan, especially, one who resides in Rutgers, UConn Area, however, I don't believe that asking to be convinced to support the Bulls is the best approach.  Good luck in efforts.

• Content Count:  1,386

Should you become a Bulls fan?  If you have to ask, then no.  We are men and women of sound judgement, strong devotion, and unwavering loyalty.  It's not something that anybody else can or should decide for you.

Go Bulls!

That's a romantic and noble notion. And I agree that fans should be devoted and loyal, I'm no stranger to that... BUT! Everyone comes to their rooting interests in different ways. Most are purely geographical, where you were born, where you grew up, where your parents grew up.

Certainly, college football usually derives from where you chose to go to school. But I chose the best school I could get into which just happened to not have a football program played at any level that I can follow. (I did attend Maroons games while in school, fun, but about high school level play.)

My point is that, yes, everything you say is true about good fans... of almost <i>any</i> team. But I don't see how my way is worse than simply being born in some particular location or having a parent who went to such-and-such school.

I've limited the poll based on criteria that I set out in the post. Each team has something that intrigues me, some reason I've watched them play over the years.

My approach may be odd and irreverent, but it's not flippant or disrespectful, that's not the intent.

I have no problem with your approach. I grew up an Army brat, so I didn't have any real ties to college football as a child, except that my Dad hates Ohio St with a passion. I rooted for Army against Navy, but that was about it. When my dad retired in Tampa, I kinda followed FSU, UF and Miami because that is what was shown on Tampa TV. I could not of told you who they were playing until they walked on the field on Saturdays and I probably could have only named a hand full of players from all three teams combined. When USF started playing I added them to the list, but the obession grew. It's wild that with only a decade of football USF has come so far. And you get to see the traditions grow. My son and I saw the original Green and Gold guys at a game when my son was 3 or so. He was so interested in why these guy's Mom would let them paint themselves Green and Gold and walk around in shorts with towels over them. The Green and Gold guys have been copied by the students as the Beef Studs and Studettes and you can see them in the endzone at games on TV.

Go for the BULLS. You won't regret it. You will grow into a Bulls fans as the Bulls grow into a bigger and bigger program. Not to mention the geography. You get to go to games near you when the Bulls travel in the Big East every year. The BasketBulls will play in the BE tournament in your town. Also trips to see Bulls home games are in SUNNY Florida. Come down to a December game and enjoy a dry 70-80 degree sunny day and a very short trip to St Pete Beach (it doesn't rain much in the winter in Florida). There is also Mickey town for family stops on the way up or down if you have a family or get absorbed into one in the future.

Bulls Nation is the way to go.

Kizarvexis

Archived