• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe on Heisman: "I don't have a chance in hell"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Per Brett's blog...

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/tools/comments/grothe-in-the-jungle-today/

Grothe On Heisman: I Don’t Have A Chance In Hell

Updated Sep 16, 2008 at 07:52 PM

University of South Florida junior QB Matt Grothe has been appearing on some Heisman Trophy lists and the school is officially promoting him as a Heisman candidate.

Grothe, however, doesn’t expect to be getting the bronze statue.

“Honestly, I don’t have a chance in hell to win the Heisman,†Grothe told The Tampa Tribune Tuesday. “Not just this year, any year. It’s politics.

“We’ve been around for 11 years, it [Heisman] will go to a school that’s been around forever.â€

The last player to win from a somewhat non-national power was BYU’s Ty Detmer in 1990. Since 1991, the winners have been from Miami, Florida State, Colorado, Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Texas, Wisconsin, Nebraska, USC and Oklahoma.

Grothe said he’s appreciative of any recognition or consideration he receives as a Heisman candidate because it will help the school with recruiting down the road.

Grothe also has been popping up on some Heisman lists .

I have a Heisman vote, and it really doesn’t matter how many yards Grothe runs for or throws for. If he’s going to be considered a serious Heisman candidate on a national scale, the most important stat will be 12 – as in 12 regular season victories. That will garner Grothe the most attention, leading an undefeated team to the Big East title.

• Content Count:  21,004
  • Days Won:  38

Not sure what to say about this one...  I have often wondered if he has a chance in hell.  Forget awards and just win and prove it to everyone.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

That's all well and good, but does Brett have time to maybe eek out some actual, useful information from our coaches and players...I don't know, maybe an injury report going into, I don't know, a game this week?

• Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

when youre right youre right.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Keep going 32/45 for 338 yards with 2 TD and 0 ints and the W all year and anything is possible. 

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think Matt really cares if he wins it or not.  As he said on Rome today, as long as the team is winning, it's all good.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,556
  • Days Won:  29

Grothe is definately a USF FOOTBULL first kinda guy !

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

That's all well and good, but does Brett have time to maybe eek out some actual, useful information from our coaches and players...I don't know, maybe an injury report going into, I don't know, a game this week?

honestly the activity on here along with other outside factors have made me wonder if I'm flying to Miami for nothing...cause last time I checked there's a game going on Saturday but I haven't heard much about it from anyone (and I'm just as guilty of this as the next person)...just sayin

• Content Count:  21,004
  • Days Won:  38

I don't think Matt really cares if he wins it or not.  As he said on Rome today, as long as the team is winning, it's all good.

Yeah I don't think that goes well with the college superstar-obsessed ESPN coverage.  I thought the Heisman was mostly a hype-fest anyway. 

Big East Champion sounds nice though and would be a milestone for sure.

• Content Count:  1,470

if he gets 12 wins and throws a lot less interceptions he has a chance in hell.

Archived