• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

a good analogy about red sox fans that live here

Singabull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  873
  • Days Won:  0

I don't like boston fans, never have, never will.  But, if and when I leave the tampa bay area, if I move to another place with a major market MLB team, I should burn my rays gear and swear a new allegiance?  I pray I never get a job in the north east...

That's the key. That's the one thing I used to like about Deumig was his ragging on fans like that but then I got to thinking about that scenario and there's no way in hell I would have given up the TB teams if I had moved away... What I don't agree with is other team's fans who live here now but push their kids to their team is just wrong to me. They should grow up following the team where they live, like their parents did.

That's child abuse.  I hate seeing a 3 year old kid in red sux gear because he has no choice.  Then he gets older but has been wearing red sux gear since he was young so what is the kid gonna do?  He hasn't been exposed to the local teams because his parents forced him into their cities' teams.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I cheer for the Rays have been to numerous games. however, my first team is the Reds and even though they have had a bad 10 years or so, I'll still keep on cheering for them. who cares if you like another team while living in a different city. That's life. My brother lives out in southern california and he still wears his university of miami stuff around and has decals on his truck. if your a true fan, then you'll stick with your team no matter here you live. sounds like a bandwagon fan called in that remark.

So Singabull if you somehow got a job offer in Boston that increased your salary by 100%. First of all dont say you wouldnt take the job because that is lie. But would you burn all of your Rays stuff and Buy Pats and Red Sox stuff?

I'd give it away to a Rays fan, not burn it.  And although it would be difficult at first, I'd become a fan of whatever area's teams I move to.  The home team is a part of the community and if I move somewhere I'm not going to be a dissent to the community.  If the area's team wins a championship, I want to be able to go to the parade and enjoy it with my family and friends and the people I work with.  I want to be able to pick up a newspaper and read the top story of the sports section about my team, not go online and look at espn.com every day.  You can change teams if you really want to.  Don't say you "can't."  It's a sports team, not a spouse.

Easy to say when you are a Rays fan, a new franchise.  Sox, Yanks, Cubbies, etc teams have genrations of families who were fans of those teams.  its not that easy to change. 

though you do make good points about the parade and newspapers

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I know he's not, I just give him crap how it was easy to root for the Celts and Boys back in his day.   

Dad is from Queens, NY.

The Cowboys and Celtics got more press than the New York teams?? I take it back, he is a bandwagoner ....... he has just never jumped off.

thats my point. 

I cheer for the Rays have been to numerous games. however, my first team is the Reds and even though they have had a bad 10 years or so, I'll still keep on cheering for them. who cares if you like another team while living in a different city. That's life. My brother lives out in southern california and he still wears his university of miami stuff around and has decals on his truck. if your a true fan, then you'll stick with your team no matter here you live. sounds like a bandwagon fan called in that remark.

So Singabull if you somehow got a job offer in Boston that increased your salary by 100%. First of all dont say you wouldnt take the job because that is lie. But would you burn all of your Rays stuff and Buy Pats and Red Sox stuff?

I'd give it away to a Rays fan, not burn it.  And although it would be difficult at first, I'd become a fan of whatever area's teams I move to.  The home team is a part of the community and if I move somewhere I'm not going to be a dissent to the community.  If the area's team wins a championship, I want to be able to go to the parade and enjoy it with my family and friends and the people I work with.  I want to be able to pick up a newspaper and read the top story of the sports section about my team, not go online and look at espn.com every day.  You can change teams if you really want to.  Don't say you "can't."  It's a sports team, not a spouse.

Easy to say when you are a Rays fan, a new franchise.  Sox, Yanks, Cubbies, etc teams have genrations of families who were fans of those teams.  its not that easy to change. 

though you do make good points about the parade and newspapers

I know what you're saying but you make your OWN choices.  It CAN be done.  I've talked to so many fans at sporting events in tampa that moved from another city, previously rooting for their old team.  Lightning fans that were once ranger fans, bucs fans that were once eagle fans, rays fans that were once red sock fans.  If you want to, you can.  You have every opportunity with the media coverage, the people you work with, and the way a team can pull a community together.

I remember how fun this area was when the lightning were on their stanley cup run.  people were enjoying themselves and really coming together.  And A LOT of northerners became lightning fans during that playoff run.  Do you remember the parade in downtown tampa on that HOT June morning?  People were taking off work to come out with their hockey jerseys on....it was a big party (all lightning fans).  If another team wins it all that you like, you'll have to watch the parade on TV (not as much fun).

ANd also, I ask a lot of yankee and red sock fans how they follow their team.  Most watch the games that are nationally televised and check the box score for the other games.  Going to the trop is a lot of fun and how could you go against the teams here?

I know I say a lot of crazy stuff but I don't know how people can't become lightning, rays, or bucs fans.  You can do it if you want to.  No one is forcing you to root for the yankees or sox.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,210
  • Days Won:  422

I know I say a lot of crazy stuff but I don't know how people can't become lightning, rays, or bucs fans.  You can do it if you want to.

It's a lot easier for those transplants to consider switching when the local team is doing good. The Bucs and Lightning have proved that ...

I know I say a lot of crazy stuff but I don't know how people can't become lightning, rays, or bucs fans.  You can do it if you want to.

It's a lot easier for those transplants to consider switching when the local team is doing good. The Bucs and Lightning have proved that ...

And those same people call us "bandwagon" fans.

No, the bandwagon fans are the northerners that finally switch when their team sucks and the tampa teams get good.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

While at the game last night I saw a guy walking around the Batters Eye with a "Rays Sox" shirt on. Talk about bandwagon... that biatch is on TWO bandwagons.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,210
  • Days Won:  422

And those same people call us "bandwagon" fans.

No, the bandwagon fans are the northerners that finally switch when their team sucks and the tampa teams get good.

Fan bases are built with bandwagoners ..... the key is keeping them ON the bandwagon.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

interesting thread - some thoughts from someone Singabull is going to hate if he doesn't already

first off: Bruce Blingstein - I think I'm in "L" with you! Love your football/baseball teams, you hate the rangers, and I don't give a darn about basketball anymore.

I've lived in tampa for over 12 years and am 24, I also went to school in Boston for 2 years and I've never turned on the teams I grew up as a fan of

it's not that I can't be a fan of tampa teams, it's that I don't have the desire to be one. For a couple years I rooted for the Bucs and followed them as much as I did the Jets. In fact, my first football game was a Bucs/Vickings game. Then they got good, and all these people became "fans", some of them started talking garbage and giving me a hard time for being a Jets fan and for the Bucs not being my number one team. It turned me off, people who knew nothing about the Bucs and had lived here their whole lives were giving me garbage about still rooting my home team, the team I'd grown up on. It turned me off from ever wanting to root for a Tampa team let alone become a fan and give up my teams for them.

I am blessed in the fact that my father is a huge sports fan, I even joke that I don't want to move out of my house mostly because of how much sports packages would cost me. With DirectTV and the sports packages we have I can watch my baseball, football, and hockey teams any time I want. I follow them the same way I would if I still lived up north.

I am no less a memeber of my community because I'm not a fan of their sports teams. Just like a person who doesn't like sports at all is no less a member of the community.

if you ever see a girl in a "Mrs Wright" tshirt, or sporting Jets gear on sundays, or in a Devils jersey at a lightning game it's quite possible it's me...in short SingABull I'm that girl you love to hate :)

You can change teams if you really want to.  Don't say you "can't."  It's a sports team, not a spouse.

I know plenty of people who's teams have outlasted their spouse...just saying :)

• Content Count:  667

i dont mind cheering for the red sox if you live here as long as you are FROM the boston area... if/when i move from tampa, i'll always be a bucs/lightning/rays fan.. it is what i was born with and i think everyone need to learn to cheer for their hometeam through thick and thin...

when the olympics roll around, do you cheer for canada in hockey?  cuba in baseball?  germany in soccer?

NO!  YOU CHEER FOR USA BECAUSE YOU ARE AMERICAN.

therefore, you should cheer for tampa sports if you are a tampanian (or whatever we are called)

Archived