• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

More Awards for Bonani and Selvie

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

Two More Awards Roll In For Bonani & Selvie

TAMPA -- True freshman kicker Maikon Bonani was highlighted by the Lou Groza Award for this game-winning performance last week.  The Groza picks three players for their weekly award throughout the college football season. 

Bonani missed his first ever attempt at the college level early in the game but hit the next three including the game winner with no time left on the clock to give the Bulls a 37-34 upset win over the Kansas Jayhawks last Friday at Tampa.  Bonani who was kicking in his first collegiate game scored on kicks of 34, 23 and 43 yards.  USF Coach Jim Leavitt had a hunch to start the freshman over junior Delbert Alvarado, the Bulls starter the previous two years, and the Brazilian native from Lake Wales, Florida validated the decision.

The Lou Groza Award goes to the top collegiate kicker each year.

George Selvie picked up the national defensive honor from the Lott Trophy.  Selvie was on the preseason Lott Trophy watch list.

Selvie broke up three passes and recorded a sack while constantly harassing  quarterback Todd Reesing of Kansas in the Bulls’ electrifying 37-34 win last week.  South Florida will receive $1,000 for its general scholarship fund in recognition of Selvie’s  performance.

Selvie (6-4, 242, Pensacola, Fl.), an All-American last season,  was selected by The Legends Football Coaches Association.  Former Arkansas Head Coach Frank Broyles, an LFCA member, commented on Selvie’s play: "George Selvie was the player of the weekend. Selvie was playing out there on the edge and pressuring the quarterback all night long. He made big play after big play and South Florida probably wouldn't have won that close game without his outstanding play."

Named after Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, The Lott Trophy is awarded to college football’s Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year.  Now in its fifth year, The Lott Trophy is the first college football award to equally recognize athletic performance and the personal character attributes of the player.

Get more Bulls football at GoUSFBulls.com 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Selvie should bring USF some considerable hardware after this year.

He may not get the same numbers as last year, but people are noticing his impact regardless of numbers.

Does it seem almost SURREAL to anyone else that a USF kicker is being recognized by the Groza committee??

Wow!!  Sweet!!

I'm not entirely sold on Bonani yet.  That last FG was inches from bouncing off the goal posts.  I'm not jumping on our kicking bandwagon until a few weeks of consistent performance.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Does it seem almost SURREAL to anyone else that a USF kicker is being recognized by the Groza committee??

Wow!!  Sweet!!

I'm not entirely sold on Bonani yet.  That last FG was inches from bouncing off the goal posts.  I'm not jumping on our kicking bandwagon until a few weeks of consistent performance.

...against the wind from 43 yards away...he said that he aimed at the upright.

I am sold, he is our best option.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Wow!!  Sweet!!

Does the name Grammatica ring a bell? LOL

Wow!!  Sweet!!

...against the wind from 43 yards away...he said that he aimed at the upright.

I am sold, he is our best option.

It was definitely a great kick, but I just don't want to get my hopes up.  I've seen the kicking game the last few years.

Archived