• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

R.I.P. Dr. Sid Haton, First Director of H.O.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Days Won:  0

Dear Members of the Herd of Thunder Family, present and past:

It has been brought to our attention that Dr. Sid Haton, the first director of the Herd of Thunder, passed away on Friday in his office on the campus of Gardner-Webb University.  Although it has not been officially confirmed, the cause of death was said to be a heart attack. Dr. Haton had been hired by Garnder-Webb in 2006 to begin a marching band program from scratch, something he had done twice before. While at USF, Sid had been known as a very capable musician and marching band director whose affable personality was well suited to the task he took on in 1999. A number of HOT traditions and the foundation of excellence that currently underpins the band can be traced to his leadership. Prior to his stay at USF, Dr. Haton had worked the University of Oregon. He had just recently completed his doctorate in music education at the University of Georgia.

On behalf of the Herd of Thunder, the HOT staff will be in contact with Sid Haton's family to express our deepest sympathy for the untimely loss of his meaningful life and to recognize in a suitable manner our appreciation for his contributions to our band program and university. We will likewise send our condolences to the members of the Garner-Webb University Marching Band.

Individual expressions of sympathy may be channeled through Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs, North Carolina. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time.

Sincerely,

Dr. John Carmichael

Director of Bands

University of South Florida

• Content Count:  1,633

Sid was prob in his late 40's, early 50's...

He was the band director for the first 3 years of HOT, and I had him for the first two years I was in it. He was just a super nice guy. He made it his job to learn all 200 of our names and if any of us had a problem we knew we could go to Sid. Not just a problem with HOT, but anything in life that was bugging us, we knew we could go it him. It is really a shame....

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Sid was a good guy.  I was in HOT for the inaugural year.  He was 45.  Rest in peace brother.

Guest MiggyBull

Sid was far too young, that's for sure.  I, too, was in the inaugural HOT.  I was only in it for one year because I graduated the following spring (2000).  He really was a good guy.  I remember being really stoked to join the USF band because I was a true "band geek" since middle school AND was and still am a huge USF football fan.  I showed up really early to his office one day to get my mellophone, and he was just as excited as I was to get started.  He was the perfect choice to start up the band because he was really energetic and cool but not afraid to get in your face if you screwed up.  I'm really sorry to hear this.

I wonder why he left USF after only three years?  Anybody know?  I assumed he'd be there a long time. 

• Content Count:  1,501

Wow. My deepest condolences.

I also marched under Sid and enjoyed my time there in 2000.  Sid was a nice guy, probably too nice at times.  He is responsible for a lot of the things HOT does to this day. 

• Content Count:  1,433

I had met him through the Search Process way back when...was a very nice fellow.  Sad to hear this...

Rest In Peace and prayers for comfort to the family...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Wow... this has been a rough couple of weeks... RIP Sid and prayers out to his family and Garner Webb.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Sid, thanks for helping make HOT the band they are today. 

• Content Count:  32

Sid was a very talented and genuine man, who created a college marching band from scratch - twice.  He started many of the traditions we carry on today in the HOT Band, as well as composing/arranging "March V" and "The Mission".  Anyone who knew Sid will tell you that his first priority was always his students.  The HOT Band will always appreciate the strong foundation he provided for our program, and we send our deepest sympathies to his family, as well as his students at Garner-Webb.

Archived