• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF #16 in Coaches Poll | #12 in AP

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

One thing I noticed from last year, the Coaches poll usually has a 1 week delay.  It's even worse when you play Saturday night.  I guess these guys are actually coaching like they should.  

Gotta love that the AP is giving us some respect, but that's all it's worth in the big picture.

Remember,  the only poll that matters is the BCS, which=Coaches+ Harris+ Computers

Actually, in the BIG picture the AP poll is worth more than that.

First, it is cited by all the media in their stories and on TV.

Second, how they vote does have an impact on the Coaches' and Harris voters the following weeks. It acts as a quasi check on the BCS. As a result, all the polls tend to even out down the road.

Exactly Mama,

The AP can also name a national champion. The #1 in the AP is always the national champion ala USC in 2003 when they were co-national champs with LSU

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,661

I don't think the specific rankings matter much right now. The top 20 or so teams have already split into three tiers:

Team To Beat - USC. USC's clearly #1 at this point, though I think anybody in the following group could beat them:

Contenders - Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, LSU, Florida, and Georgia I think you could throw in a hat. My favorite is Oklahoma, but all these teams look very potent. The #2-7 rankings aren't going to be decided until these teams start playing each other. I'd put Ohio State here as well. And depending on your opinion, you might also include some teams from the next group here:

Second-Tier Contenders - USF, Kansas, Penn State, Wisconsin, Alabama, Auburn, Texas Tech, BYU, Utah, East Carolina, Oregon, Wake Forest, Clemson. These teams are all in the running for a conference championship and/or BCS bid. They could beat someone from the Contenders group on a good day, but are also a long way from invincible. Some of them will keep winning and force their way into the Contenders group. But I don't see anyone from this group doing worse than 8-4.

Because after that it's a biiiiiiiiig drop off to the rest of the field. If you don't believe me, just look at how deeply flawed the rest of the top 25 is already: West Virginia, Arizona State, Illinois, and Florida State all have disqualifying losses and/or empty wins. And it's not like there's more deserving teams currently outside the top 25.

In other words, the aforementioned teams are the only ones who got through three games without being badly exposed. And the top 20 teams have flaws too. And it's only been three games. Could be a fun season.

• Content Count:  3,827

Auburn and Alabama are CLASSIC cases of SEC bias.

• Content Count:  1,528

Florida State at #25?

After two victories over 1AA schools?

and both at home no less. How on earth do those wins equal a top 25 ranking? I'm not saying they won't be good....but honestly, how can you tell anything against that level of competition??

Notre Dame pulling votes is a freaking joke. That game only showed how terrible Michigan is going to be this year.

• Content Count:  10,219

we need to win, just win every week and we will move up!

NC baby.

However, usf always loses to someone we should not.

this is the year of the COACH...getting the team ready and playcalling on gameday!

we have the talent and depth and baring bad luck ... all loses should be laid at the feet of the COACHES!

at this point anything short of 12-0 is a coaching problem!

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

we need to win, just win every week and we will move up!

NC baby.

However, usf always loses to someone we should not.

this is the year of the COACH...getting the team ready and playcalling on gameday!

we have the talent and depth and baring bad luck ... all loses should be laid at the feet of the COACHES!

at this point anything short of 12-0 is a coaching problem!

Agreed. A loss to a team we should beat is gonna be in the hands of the OC. Hes killing us. I know we have won our games so far, but his play calling is killing me.

Archived