• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ok... Jerome Murphy's TERRIBLE tackling...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Was it me, or was Murphy never even ATTEMPTING to use his arms to tackle an opposing player?  I must have seen a dozen times when he just tried to pop the guy to force the fumble, only to watch the guy bounce away and pick up more yards.

Not to bring down the room after a great win, but that was one thing I watched all night that really irked me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

I don't know but if you go back and watch the UCF game I believe there were a couple that he missed pretty bad also.  I wasn't going to mention it but since someone else brought it up...

• Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

agreed.  he has been awful at tackling this year.  it appears that he is doing his best Deion Sanders impression.  i mean he doesn't even extend his arms to attempt to tackle.  the best evidence was on the last drive when he was coming up on Reesing at the KU sideline.  he went flying into Reesing and bounced right off of him. 

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

He is laying some Jenkin-esque hits out there. The problem is if he doesn't knock the guy on his ass then he's going to bounce off and scamper down the field. Usually for a 1st down.

• Content Count:  1,528

that technique can work if you are John Lynch. If you don't lay the wood, it backfires and a sure tackle becomes a long gian. I would rather see him try and make the fundamental tackle. Our overall D is too good for guys to try and force splash plays.

• Content Count:  1,911

He likes to throw his body at a guy and doesnt wrap up. If you watch Quigly's TD run to tie it Murphy had the opportunity to stop him at the 3-4 yd line and it was kind of pathetic.

• Content Count:  2,118

sounds like someone needs to do the some tackling drills, just take their knees out. i don't like the high tackling, trying to get on the highlight reels.

• Content Count:  1,757

He also had 9 tackles against UCF and 8 last night... maybe we should cut him a little slack considering he's leading the D in tackles.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Murphy reminds me of Camon (R.I.P.), always looking to make the big hit and not wrapping up.

Speaking of big hits.....someone PLEASE put the hit Murphy laid on Kansas #10 on youtube.  :o

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Was it me, or was Murphy never even ATTEMPTING to use his arms to tackle an opposing player?  I must have seen a dozen times when he just tried to pop the guy to force the fumble, only to watch the guy bounce away and pick up more yards.

Not to bring down the room after a great win, but that was one thing I watched all night that really irked me.

he needs to be benched until his technique improves

our guys should have covered much better also

Archived