• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

You gotta love UCF's erector set stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

lets get a little perspective here:  for an on-campus stadium in a non-BCS school, their set-up is quite nice.

The lack of parking and horrible egress issues severely dampens my support for an OCS at USF.  Maybe when we're selling 50K season tickets and can fund a bond issue for a first class solution.  Otherwise, give me Ray-Jay and hit the Glazer's a little harder as we have more success.

I don't think traffic would be nearly as bad at USF.

You could route people out on Fowler, Fletcher, BB Downs. They could then go in either direction toward 75 or 275. The issue with UCF is that they really only have access from Alafaya, then at university, you get a little relief where traffic can split in 2 directions. I think our situation would be much better, could be wrong though.

Parking may be an issue.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

The way their athletics complexes are setup is great...they have alot of space to work with. The retail/restaraunt area to me was nice...but didn't really have that collegiate campus feel. It seemed like "manufactured character"...like Centro Ybor or Channelside....but at least it gives the students options as far as dining and keeping them on campus.

As for the stadium, I've always said that there is nothing like having an on campus stadium. Kudos to them for making that a reality. That being said...the building is less than sturdy and reminiscent of a super-sized high school stadium. For their sake, I hope they plan on reinforcing everything with concrete some day. We're really spoiled at RayJay...

• Content Count:  14,404
  • Days Won:  13

From Wikiedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks_Stadium:

"The all-steel seating areas are known to reverberate and noticibly bounce. While many fans like this feature, some are uneasy with the bouncing. Stadium officials claimed the stadium was structurally sound, and an independent contractor confirmed that the bouncing will not damage the stadium and shorten its expected 50-year useful life. Still, a project was begun prior to the 2008 season to reinforce the stadium superstructure and mitigate the bouncing effect."

I think they need to hire new engineers.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

One positive with their stadium is that they had decent spacing between rows, where you didn't have to stand to let someone move past and simply could swing your legs to the side.

The major negative was getting there.  The parking and traffic, both coming and going, was atrocious.  At least the Citrus Dump was easy to get in and out of.

I agree completely. For rail-seats, this is a good setup (again, it's rail seats...how "good" can it get?). The stadium being new, had good fan amenities and concessions. As for that relentless bouncing...it was humorous at the beginning, but wore off after a while. You can really make more noise stomping on the metal, but that's about the only positive.

We weren't there to tailgate, so we left at 3:30 and got to our seats at exactly 7:00 in time for the Nat'l anthem. I'm not real keen on having to trek from one end of the campus to the stadium, but we burned a lot of fuel just sitting in traffic. I'm guessing that, as a first timer, there is a learning curve to navigation over there.

The thing you have to remember, when comparing RJS to BHS...RJS serves one single, solitary purpose. It is a game day venue, and as such, traffic and parking flex around that focus. BHS, on the other hand, will not volume parking adjacent to the stadium as, per the above, the parking garages have to serve a purpose on all of the other three hundred fifty-odd non game days as well. And, just being honest, we'd probably run into similar considerations on Fowler Ave.

• Content Count:  2,032
  • Days Won:  20

I wasn't even close to impressed with their stadium. All I heard about was how it was going to be the most intimidating environment we've ever been in. Yeah, right. Not even close to the loudest i've heard a stadium.

• Content Count:  5,590

unless you're watching it on TV and you feel like you're a bobble head doll.  Holy crap was that annoying!!!

I hear the stadium was so poorly constructed that there is not a water fountain in the entire arena?

They installed 50 water fountains.

And the water tasted like it came straight out of the toilet.  To UCF's credit, the water fountains at RJS are just as bad.

Was water cheaper at BHS?  It was 3 last night, i always thought it was 4 at ray jay.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

k, call me crazy but I thought that the stadium was kinda cool. Is it what I would want if we had an OCS, no...but would I have been all about jumping around and getting crazy if I was watching my team play a home game there...yes. There were definately a lot of ways in which it could have been better though.

As for the structural soundness I don't doubt it's sound, but am curious as to what testing/models the engineers used to determine the residual effects of the resonation from the bouncing over time. Although, when you consider that the stadium sees that 6 times a year it may not be a big deal.

the walk back to the car did stink and seemed a lot longer than the walk to the stadium (not that I'm surprised). Also, the traffic was pretty bad, I was able to call a friend from UCF and got to 408 fairly quickly once I got out of the immediate vicinity of the stadium. Had I not been able to do that I probably could've added another half hour to my drive trying to get to 417

• Content Count:  45

Thanks for all of the observations, good and otherwise.  We love BHNS, and it's a great venue for us.  In our previous 27 years of FB at the Citrus Bowl we had three games with 40K+ attendance - we have 9 straight now that we're on campus.  As for the field conditions, thank Hanna.  It was incredibly soggy last week as we played in a downpour, and the SC State game tore the field up a bit.  Good thing that we have a month before our next home game.

I do share everybody's complaints about traffic after the game - it took me an hour and a half to take my 10-mile drive home.  But it WAS a record crowd!

Great game guys, and it was a lotta fun.  I'd like the series to continue but it isn't up to me.

Good luck.

• Content Count:  8,158

USF Game = Bigger crowd than CUSA Championship Game

Yes, we are their SuperBowl.

• Content Count:  476

USF Game = Bigger crowd than CUSA Championship Game

Yes, we are their SuperBowl.

Kansas,

We had over 50 several times at the Citrus Bowl.  One was the first C-USA championship. Nice try on the superbowl bit.

Archived