• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Bumped for ucIF fans ...A BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

That's awesome.  Got me curious, so I searched the St. Pete times archives quickly, and came up with this gem from Hubert Mizell.  I got a kick out of it, and I am sure you will too:

USF can't play top football

[CITY Edition]

St. Petersburg Times - St. Petersburg, Fla.

Author: HUBERT MIZELL

Date: May 22, 1994

It's not that I'm against the University of South Florida spending $5-million to create a football team. It's just that my slick-from-wear senses tell me to not hop a community bandwagon to shout "Yes!"

USF has big enrollment but not a big national reputation. Bulls people understandably hunger for a big-time ego fix. For universities in our state, big football comes to mind as a visibility vehicle.

Until now, men's basketball has been South Florida's prime athletic investment, but the bouncing Bulls are yet to escalate to the NCAA Final Four or worldly celebrity.

Football is a monster tease.

Plato, Curie, Edison and King have historically preached that it's good to be a dreamer, but USF's football inventors owe it to students, faculty, alumni, fans and taxpayers to fully consider major-college football reality.

Bulls football zealots, openly or not, surely imagine an eventual stadium smash in the standing-room-only league of Gainesville, Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, Columbus and Lincoln.

Football's birth at USF is virtually assured. Five-million dollars is all but raised for the great ego chase. But I wonder, are Bulls financiers being realistic about where South Florida football can be by, say, the year 2020?

If the Bulls are crafty, nifty and lucky for 10 to 15 seasons, USF might approach the status and appeal of the football program at the University of Central Florida.

In Orlando, the Knights play a schedule all but devoid of major football names, drawing 15,000 on a good Saturday night. Just now, after a generation of dues-paying, UCF is straining to get enough attendance and other vitals to jump to Division I-A, where the big boys play. If that brings snorts of excitement from the Bulls, they should put up their $5-mil and go for it.

But c'mon, isn't USF fantasizing about far more, including eventual year-to-year football schmoozings with the 'Canes, Gators and 'Noles? Have they examined how long that could take and how much money it could cost?

Hey, teacher, call on me . . .

Aware of the costs of playing NCAA major football, my answers to those questions would be "forget it!" and "forever" and "megafortunes." Big-time college football is too expensive, too complex and too competitive for USF - for any school - to initiate in the '90s.

There are alternatives.

Mid-sized NCAA football, including divisions II and I-AA, might be realistic. But how long would that be acceptable to USF's ego? This is a big school in a big metropolitan area. Small is a word that makes for a bad chew. Could the Bulls be content to spend the 21st century trying to compete with Troy State, Georgia Southern and Eastern Kentucky?

If so . . . go for it!

If USF itches to become a party to UF-UM-FSU-style football, even 20 or 30 years from now, the odds-against are horrendous. They'd have a better chance for success by plunging for 5-million $1 tickets in this week's Florida Lottery.

Here's the big question:

Among the 50 most prominent Division I football efforts, including FSU, UF and UM, along with Notre Dame and Penn State and all the other heavies, what program is the newest?

It's FSU, heading to a 48th football season since the Tallahassee school went coed in 1947. Miami is also one of the younger programs; the Hurricanes are in their 65th year. Most big-name football universities were already deep into the game by 1912, when Arizona became the 48th state.

There was a 1950s exception. Air Force Academy football was christened 38 years ago, but that was a federally funded case. I doubt the Bulls can expect football financial aid from the Clinton administration.

I'm for USF doing the right football thing. Who has the heart to give a total thumbs-down to Lee Roy Selmon, the Bulls' chief football fund-raiser and former Tampa Bay Bucs defensive Goliath? But it's too much of a longshot to gamble on USF ever swimming with our state's big football fish.

USF could probably better spend $5-million, but if the FootBulls have minds made up, they should work at building the best mid-sized NCAA program around, understanding the FSU-UM-UF level is permanently out of reach.

Unless, of course, USF wishes - once the Bulls rise to current UCF football ilk, well into the next century - to sign an occasional deal with the 'Noles, Gators or 'Canes to be a homecoming opponent amenable to 60-point clobberings.

If it tips your tankard, Bulls, go for it.

WOW!!!

Thats a gem and just a pleasure to read.

Has anyone emailed this guy and sent him this article back???

Just wondering.

GO BULLS!!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Too bad we don't have a follow-up story from Hubert Mizell, on how wrong he was.  This just proves that just because you have a computer and work for a newspaper doesn't make you an expert in football or in any sport.  Great find BullswinBucswin.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038

Nice find, Dale!  That article is great.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,567

Too bad we don't have a follow-up story from Hubert Mizell, on how wrong he was.  This just proves that just because you have a computer and work for a newspaper doesn't make you an expert in football or in any sport.  Great find BullswinBucswin.

Not that I am condoning a stampede on a 70 year-old guy, but the St. Pete times just did a follow-up story on Hubert last month.  He's a Gator, living in Gainesville doing a couple of sports commentaries, one of the local ABC affiliate called "The Mizell Minute" and he writes features for a mag called "Gator Country."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/article773004.ece

It would be funny to get his thoughts on that story.  I wonder if he even remembers writing it, it was over 14 years ago!

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139

:ROFLMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!     STOP IT !!!  I CAN'T LAUGH OUT LOUD AT WORK LIKE THIS !!!  :ROFLMAO

chad,   get rid of that crystal ball my friend,...

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,451

I would like to see more USF/UCF related articles dug up from pre-2005

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  476

Things much different in 2003 than 2005. Programs wax and wane, the earth spins, new discoveries are found, the struggle of life goes on.  Nothing is certain nor final. ;D

Chad, you spend a lot of time on these boards.. Does UCF not have a comparable message board?

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461

I have to say, UCFChad is far from the worst UCiFer I've seen on these boards... I don't mind the banter.

I don't mind it either, but I really would like an answer to my UCF message board question.