• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Detroit Lion running back situation

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Waiting for Gridiron God to come in here and slob up Kevin Smith and anoint him as the second coming. 

the problem with fans are, some of them know nothing of what they cheer for.

Are kidding me Dozer?  His first preseason game and you are judging him.  Are you so upset that he was drafted first in the third round that you just can't handle the fact that he is a very good RB.  I have always compared him to Emmitt Smith because of his vision and quickness to the whole.  So to help you out Dozer I will list Emmitt Smith's first three game stats, these are of the real football season:

Game 1 - San Diego Chagers  - 2 attempts, 2 yards, long 1 yard - average 1 YPC - no receiveing

Game 2 - New York Giants -     6 attempts, 11 yards - average 1.8 YPC, long 5 yards, 2 receptions for 12 yards

Game 3 - @ Washington -        17 attempts, 63 yards - average 3.7 YPC, long 15, 2 receptions for 12 yards

Get the point Dozer!

I have made no secrets on my feelings about Smith since before the draft, good try at a strawman though. Also good job slobbing him right on cue.  Smith wont be a quality starter at the NFL level no matter how many times you try to compare him to the NFL's all time leading rusher (also lol at this comparison 24k cant hold Smiths jock and Emmitt also ran much harder than Smith does and had one of the best lines in NFL history in front of him).  You can try to pump him up all you want but dude has good but not great vision and not much else.  He lacks the ability to run as a power runner and the quickness and break away speed to be a homerun/speed threat.  But anyways ill leave you to look like a fool by mentioning an unproven rookie in the same sentence as the NFL's all time leading rusher.  Now back to your scheduled 24k slobbing. 

Well you have your opinon as do I.  The difference, I spent 18 years coaching high school players and know talent when I see it.  I'm curious, what are your credentials on the subject?

Your "credentials" mean nothing since you have never been talent evaluator at a level any higher than high school. All your 18yrs does for you is give you ability to evaluate and identify high school talent.  Good try at elevating your opinion on this matter though.  Also what proof do we have that you are who you say you are?  Nothing that i've seen other than your text. 

Well considering he was the 63rd player taken in the NFL draft out of tens of thousands of college players, something tells me that my ability to analyze talent seems to be a tad bit better than you. 

Well, in this argument, him being the 63rd player drafted doesn't mean a heckuvalot considering that 6 rb's were drafted ahead of him.... 6 rb's drafted by people whose REAL job is evaluating talent..... 6 people who have REAL credentials.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

While supporting Smith, I know what he has and doesn't have.  He has in game speed as opposed to stuff you'd see at the combine.  His lack of line in Detroit will be a real test if he has "it" or not.  He wasn't playing with the first team line, so I cannot say just yet.  He will definitely have the opportunity to make a name for himself.  I think the line will be fixed at least partway next season and if the cards fall right, it should be fine in 2 years.

Since you're an anti-homer and I'm a realist, I guess we can both see the challenges in front of Kevin.  You see no chance of success, I see that there is plenty of opportunity.

Smith's in game speed doesn't impress me.  He actually ran a faster 40 than i thought he would and that was just judging from what i saw in games.  He has an opportunity to get carriers which means opportunities to prove me wrong but at the same time everything im saying is based on the skills he showed at UCF more so than the combine.   But i think between his deficiencies as a player and the deficiencies of the team that drafted him i think he will fail to produce  at a high level.  Again you have to remember that Detroit has one of the worst recent histories when it comes to player personnel decisions of all the teams in the league so you really can't assume the supporting cast around him will improve (line mostly CJ and Williams are studs at WR) based on the teams recent history.  Smith is like a Danny Wuerffel, a good college player that set some records for his school and but collegiate success doesn't always equal NFL success and i think Smith's skill set is better suited to college than the NFL.  Either way what me, you, or anyone else thinks will either be validated or proved wrong over the next 6 months.  

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

The Lion's o-line didn't look so good, either...could be a tough year for the Lion's running game no matter who's in the backfield.  But given..he only played a qtr or so...so he'd be on track for 100 yds!!   ;D

here come the excuses

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

The Lion's o-line didn't look so good, either...could be a tough year for the Lion's running game no matter who's in the backfield.  But given..he only played a qtr or so...so he'd be on track for 100 yds!!   ;D

here come the excuses

No excuses from me, I stick by my belief that he will be a star in the NFL.  What I am done is arguing talent with people like Dozer who has never had the responsibility to evaluate football talent.  And Dozer before you say I was only a high school coach, that may be true, but I coached Georgia all star teams for years, I also worked with the coaches from UGA, GT, FSU and many other Div 1 schools helping them evaluated not only my schools talent but other high school kids.  I also voted in the states all state teams as well.  So trash that if you like, football talent is football talent.  Also, don't go calling me a UCF homer, I was also the one that said that Ben Moffitt was a very good football players and will make an NFL roster, I still believe that as well.

here come the excuses

No excuses from me, I stick by my belief that he will be a star in the NFL.  What I am done is arguing talent with people like Dozer who has never had the responsibility to evaluate football talent.  And Dozer before you say I was only a high school coach, that may be true, but I coached Georgia all star teams for years, I also worked with the coaches from UGA, GT, FSU and many other Div 1 schools helping them evaluated not only my schools talent but other high school kids.  I also voted in the states all state teams as well.  So trash that if you like, football talent is football talent.  Also, don't go calling me a UCF homer, I was also the one that said that Ben Moffitt was a very good football players and will make an NFL roster, I still believe that as well.

Over the next 6 months we will see. 

No excuses from me, I stick by my belief that he will be a star in the NFL.  What I am done is arguing talent with people like Dozer who has never had the responsibility to evaluate football talent.

What you're overlooking is the fact that at least 6 other evaluators of talent, evaluators at a higher level than you, tend to side more with Dozer than you on this ....

No excuses from me, I stick by my belief that he will be a star in the NFL.  What I am done is arguing talent with people like Dozer who has never had the responsibility to evaluate football talent.

What you're overlooking is the fact that at least 6 other evaluators of talent, evaluators at a higher level than you, tend to side more with Dozer than you on this ....

Yup but that doesn't matter some guy on the internet who says he was a football coach says Kevin Smith is an Emmitt Smith type of talent so it must be so. 

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

No, Dozer amongst others on this site said he was a flop and was not an NFL RB.  To go futher, they said the only reason he had a good year was because he played in CUSA.  Funny, I thought I saw Chris Johnson, another CUSA RB run right through an NFL defense.

No, Dozer amongst others on this site said he was a flop and was not an NFL RB.  To go futher, they said the only reason he had a good year was because he played in CUSA.  Funny, I thought I saw Chris Johnson, another CUSA RB run right through an NFL defense.

Johnson is an athletic freak something Smith is not. 

No, the problem started when you constantly compared KS to Emmitt Smith, which must mean the 6 drafted ahead of him are jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders clones ...

Archived