• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

mark may just said mike ford

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not saying we should change our offense but LSU runs all variations to get the most out of their offense, why shouldn't we include more i-form for him. We were in I-form when ford rushed the 1st play of the wvu game when he broke it open. We need that. We have a good fullback. The point is, we can spread it out all we want but we have to line it up and shove it down their throat too or else when we get on goaline...WE WILL CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE TO PUT IT IN. That's all Im sayin.

I agree. Adjust your offense to best suit what you have! Ford in the I formation would be great then drop back to the shotgun with Ford or Taylor. Taylor would be a great guy to throw to out of the backfield. We have to freaking get rid of that retarded QB Choice play.

Then what do we do with the plethora of wide receivers we possess with skills?  What about the smallish TE's?  The QB read option play is exactly what most teams are going to, why is it 'retarded' when it won a NC for LSU, and UF, Oregon ran it with efficiency and Matt seems to relish it?  We don't have the personnel for an I-Formation just a few choice fans think we do.  Teams that run a very traditional I usually possess enormous OL with all-americans, outstanding fullbacks, and a number of jumbo TE's.  We have none of those.  USF will use the I in certain situations but it is the spread read-option that has been our bread and butter.  Last year we were ranked 33rd in the nation in total offense, and 32nd in rush offense so something seems to work.  Give Ford the ball more, but don't try to change something that is already working.  The area this team has to improve on to win a championship isn't the running game it is the passing game.  They were ranked a very average 55 last year passing.  We need to get more efficient and consistent passing the ball and the rest will take care of itself.

smallish tight ends? They don't seem very small to me

Well then go to OK, or OSU, or Uconn....where they typically have TE's average in the 255-275lbs range.  They liken them to an extra tackle, and they breed those type of players for an I-Formation set-up.

We're definitely getting there by adding Pupello but we're not there yet.  I mean Cedric Hill and Busbee each played last year less than 240lbs.  That's not big by anyone's standards which is why we couldn't go 12 plays in the I.  We just lack the all-out dominating big guys with those skills.  Not a knock, but sometimes guys look at our roster and get a mistake that just because our guys are as big as 'their guys' that they're just as good.  Jared Carnes was just as big as Jake Long....our staff knows what we have and what works.  They're obviously angling to use more I and power formations so we can be more effective in the redzone, but we're still not possessing anywhere near the size and skill to be a pure I formation team.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I want someone other than Grothe to lead the team in rushing. He can run that's for sure, and as CJL said at Capogna's he will run, but I would like for him not to have to run so much. I think that if the RB's can carry the load rushing then Grothe will be sharper further into the season. He's not fragile by any means. It seems to me that the last few years we either had a great RB or a great QB, if we get both this year look out... BCS here we come.

You shall get your wish this year.  The past two year's Grothe averaged that by necessity, but Ford, and the other backs are now fully prepared to step up.  Grothe will still get his yards in the read option but they'll be more selective.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,566
  • Days Won:  29

Do you guys actually watch the games when you make statements ...

I wonder myself.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived