• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

mark may just said mike ford

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not saying we should change our offense but LSU runs all variations to get the most out of their offense, why shouldn't we include more i-form for him. We were in I-form when ford rushed the 1st play of the wvu game when he broke it open. We need that. We have a good fullback. The point is, we can spread it out all we want but we have to line it up and shove it down their throat too or else when we get on goaline...WE WILL CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE TO PUT IT IN. That's all Im sayin.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,478

I'm not saying we should change our offense but LSU runs all variations to get the most out of their offense, why shouldn't we include more i-form for him. We were in I-form when ford rushed the 1st play of the wvu game when he broke it open. We need that. We have a good fullback. The point is, we can spread it out all we want but we have to line it up and shove it down their throat too or else when we get on goaline...WE WILL CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE TO PUT IT IN. That's all Im sayin.

I agree. Adjust your offense to best suit what you have! Ford in the I formation would be great then drop back to the shotgun with Ford or Taylor. Taylor would be a great guy to throw to out of the backfield. We have to freaking get rid of that retarded QB Choice play.

• Content Count:  3,403

We used that wishbone variation last year with 3 backs, and it was pretty successful in short yardage situations.  It's not like we don't add in new plays.

• Content Count:  4,016

I agree. Adjust your offense to best suit what you have! Ford in the I formation would be great then drop back to the shotgun with Ford or Taylor. Taylor would be a great guy to throw to out of the backfield. We have to freaking get rid of that retarded QB Choice play.

Then what do we do with the plethora of wide receivers we possess with skills?  What about the smallish TE's?  The QB read option play is exactly what most teams are going to, why is it 'retarded' when it won a NC for LSU, and UF, Oregon ran it with efficiency and Matt seems to relish it?  We don't have the personnel for an I-Formation just a few choice fans think we do.  Teams that run a very traditional I usually possess enormous OL with all-americans, outstanding fullbacks, and a number of jumbo TE's.  We have none of those.  USF will use the I in certain situations but it is the spread read-option that has been our bread and butter.  Last year we were ranked 33rd in the nation in total offense, and 32nd in rush offense so something seems to work.  Give Ford the ball more, but don't try to change something that is already working.  The area this team has to improve on to win a championship isn't the running game it is the passing game.  They were ranked a very average 55 last year passing.  We need to get more efficient and consistent passing the ball and the rest will take care of itself.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

Then what do we do with the plethora of wide receivers we possess with skills?  What about the smallish TE's?  The QB read option play is exactly what most teams are going to, why is it 'retarded' when it won a NC for LSU, and UF, Oregon ran it with efficiency and Matt seems to relish it?  We don't have the personnel for an I-Formation just a few choice fans think we do.  Teams that run a very traditional I usually possess enormous OL with all-americans, outstanding fullbacks, and a number of jumbo TE's.  We have none of those.  USF will use the I in certain situations but it is the spread read-option that has been our bread and butter.  Last year we were ranked 33rd in the nation in total offense, and 32nd in rush offense so something seems to work.  Give Ford the ball more, but don't try to change something that is already working.  The area this team has to improve on to win a championship isn't the running game it is the passing game.  They were ranked a very average 55 last year passing.  We need to get more efficient and consistent passing the ball and the rest will take care of itself.

smallish tight ends? They don't seem very small to me

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Do you guys actually watch the games when you make statements about having a retarded offense?  Over the last 8 regular season games we averaged almost 460 yards per game.  That was a top 10 offense over that period of time. That was with losing 3 starters from the offensive line plus playing 2 true freshman at RB.  That also included 4 games against top 20 defenses.  Offense in college is not the same tupe of offense in the NFL.

You can't blame the offfense for losing to Rutgers.  We moved the ball very well  against UCONN in the 2nd half.  5 mental mistakes at the goal line kept us from winning that game.  We still had almost 500 yards against Cincinnati, but there were other problems in that game.  Hardly a matter of poor production from the offense.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I want someone other than Grothe to lead the team in rushing. He can run that's for sure, and as CJL said at Capogna's he will run, but I would like for him not to have to run so much. I think that if the RB's can carry the load rushing then Grothe will be sharper further into the season. He's not fragile by any means. It seems to me that the last few years we either had a great RB or a great QB, if we get both this year look out... BCS here we come.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I want someone other than Grothe to lead the team in rushing. He can run that's for sure, and as CJL said at Capogna's he will run, but I would like for him not to have to run so much. I think that if the RB's can carry the load rushing then Grothe will be sharper further into the season. He's not fragile by any means. It seems to me that the last few years we either had a great RB or a great QB, if we get both this year look out... BCS here we come.

You have a different dynamic on offense this year because we have proven talent, experience and depth at all skill positions and even on the OL.  This is the first time we have a complete, experienced roster on offense since '02.  The only reason Grothe led the team in rushing the last 2 years was because, despite what a lot of people don't want to believe, we didn't have a RB ready to step up and carry the load.  Going into the first game of the 2006 season our eligible RB corp had exactly ZERO  career carries.  Going into last year our most experienced guy was Ben Williams with less than 100 carries.  The next most experienced guy was Mo Plancher with 4 carries.  The most physically talented guy hadn't played football in 2 years.

Grothe is a football player that had proven he could run the ball in our offense.  You keep the ball in the hands of the guy that can make the plays.  It's a different story this year.  Loads of experience... Loads of talent.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

You have a different dynamic on offense this year because we have proven talent, experience and depth at all skill positions and even on the OL.  This is the first time we have a complete, experienced roster on offense since '02.  The only reason Grothe led the team in rushing the last 2 years was because, despite what a lot of people don't want to believe, we didn't have a RB ready to step up and carry the load.  Going into the first game of the 2006 season our eligible RB corp had exactly ZERO  career carries.  Going into last year our most experienced guy was Ben Williams with less than 100 carries.  The next most experienced guy was Mo Plancher with 4 carries.  The most physically talented guy hadn't played football in 2 years.

Grothe is a football player that had proven he could run the ball in our offense.  You keep the ball in the hands of the guy that can make the plays.  It's a different story this year.  Loads of experience... Loads of talent.

I agree completely. We should be able to spread the load around.

• Content Count:  1,457

Mark is a great supporter of BE ball - ex pitt standout and player.  He is much more appreciative of very good unknowns.

Ford tuff!

Archived