• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tyller Roberts Article - Sarasota Herald

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  0

COLLEGE FOOTBALL I USF

Bulls' CB Roberts eager to step up

By ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

Published: Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 11:11 p.m.

TAMPA - The best advice Tyller Roberts received from his predecessors at the University of South Florida won't be found in a playbook. And it's one the defensive back has heard many times in his life.

Bringing the brawnCOURTESY PHOTO / USF ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT Cornerback Tyller Roberts increased his strength this summer, adding about six reps to his 225-pound bench press."Be yourself," are the words that keep ringing through his ears as he heads into his first season as the Bulls' starting cornerback.

A backup for three years, the 21-year-old senior knows you can't follow Superman, not if you expect to be successful.

In this case, Superman is the departed Mike Jenkins. The Southeast High graduate started four years at cornerback and became the first USF player to be selected in the first round of the NFL draft this year when he was chosen by Dallas as the 25th overall pick.

The Bulls' other veteran cornerback, Trae Williams, also a four-year starter, was drafted by Jacksonville in the fifth round. Now Roberts and junior Jerome Murphy are the starters.

The wait has been long for Roberts, but it could help. He has gotten some good playing time in the nickel package and has been in there, subbing for Jenkins and Williams at times.

But while Murphy is being touted as a possible star, Roberts could be fighting for respectability. He hasn't gotten any guarantees, though Bulls defensive backs coach Troy Douglas said it would take a lot for someone to unseat him as the starter.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder felt some pressure when spring practice came and it was evident the job was his to lose. But he has had contact with both Jenkins and Williams, which has helped his confidence.

"They told me a lot of people are going to try and compare me and Murph to them and to stay away from that stuff," Roberts said. "I talk to those guys every day and they always tell me you know what you can do and just play the game and have fun."

Douglas believes the run support could be better with Roberts and Murphy because they are bigger and both have become a lot stronger this summer.

"The thing that Tyller and Murphy will give us is that they are a lot more physical players than Mike and Trae," Douglas said. "They don't have the long speed that Mike did or the savvy and play-making ability that Trae had."

Roberts increased his strength this summer, adding about six reps to his 225-pound bench press while Murphy added about nine reps to his 225-bench. Douglas hopes that will make it easier for them to come up and support the run. At times last year, USF struggled against teams that run it up the gut, particularly with Rutgers' Ray Rice and Oregon's Jon Stewart.

"The coaches say I am bigger than Mike and Trae, but athletically those guys were unbelievable," Roberts said. "We have big shoes to fill, but I've just got to bring what brought me to the table."

Ford bulks up a bit

The biggest surprise of the Bulls' first preseason practice on Monday might have been running back Mike Ford.

The former Sarasota High standout weighed in at a career high 233, up about 13 pounds from last year.

"I got my speed back. I am not a 4.3 (seconds in the 40-yard dash) like I was in high school, but this time if I break out I will probably be gone. I wasn't trying to put on the weight. I was just lifting and lifting and got bigger and stronger."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080806/ARTICLE/808060361/2050/sports&title=Bulls__CB_Roberts_eager_to_step_up

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

fresh.

Roberts and Murph are going to step in and take over where Jenk and Trae left off.

they won't be the same kind of players, but they will be awesome in their own right.

i know corner is our biggest concern on defense going into the season, but we couldn't ask for a better situation than to have two upper-classmen step in and fill the holes.

love the part about Mike Ford.  he was impressive as an out of shape true freshman who had been away from football for 2 years... can't wait to see what he does as a buff sophomore with a year of PT under his belt.

• Content Count:  10,199

love the part about Mike Ford.  he was impressive as an out of shape true freshman who had been away from football for 2 years... can't wait to see what he does as a buff sophomore with a year of PT under his belt.

Ford should have a monster year, he is bigger, faster, stronger and a year of experience.

He should really open up the passing game, if he plays like I expect him.

Ford should have a monster year, he is bigger, faster, stronger and a year of experience.

hopefully that added strength in his arms will help him hold onto the ball a little better.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

If we want to win the Big East, Ford needs to be touching to ball at least 20 times a game....wear down the defense, burn em with grothe to a wideout.

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

I'm most excited to see some corners who are not afraid to pound running backs (unlike the backpeddling Jenkins).

I don't know how Ford managed to get bigger and faster at the same time but it could be a deadly combination.

If we want to win the Big East, Ford needs to be touching to ball at least 20 times a game....wear down the defense, burn em with grothe to a wideout.

tell that to Greg "3 play playbook" Gregory.

Archived