• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

And you all say we are not rivals... The USF Alumni Magazine must disagree

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  51
  • Days Won:  0

As an upstart program we would be selling ourselves short to stay content with UCF with being our Rival. Granted for the time being I will accept them as our rival. But the rivalary is quickly ending. The level of competition is not there. Stanford vs. USC, UF vs. FSU, Texas vs. Texas A&M, Georgia vs. Georgia Tech. Those are rivalaries. What makes those vs a UCF & USF rivalary so different? Because of the level of competition. Stanford is not the greatest of programs but you better believe that they eat sleep and drink think about playing the Trojans. UCF doesn't display any competitivesness when they play us. Our guys come ready to smash them hard and they don't smash back. They are not a rivalary. That chapter of our program will come to a close and I would not be surprised to see a new rivalary brew with 5 game series that we have with UM. The clash of 2 South Florida teams makes for a great storyline. You can put it on the board.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,894

UCF is our rival and the only reason some USF fans say they aren't is to demean them. (Which just shows how much of a rivalry it is). I would much rather play UCF than Western Kentucky or whoever. It is a great game for the fans and gets a lot of local interest. Its also a great/close away game trip to make.

The only reason Leavitt won't play them is because he thinks we have much more to lose than they do. I don't think thats true. I think that if we beat them year in year out for a decade then we will totally devalue their program compared to ours. 3 wins doesn't do it for me. I hate UCF and want to crush them every single year.

I'm going to have to disagree. The whole point is to seperate the two programs. CJL wants to show seperation from the middle of the pack into the realm of the real contenders. UCF is middle of the pack. Why should we settle with them as our rivals because they are close to us. It is posisble to dislike someone and want to crush them and they not be your rival. How else does a football team get mentally ready for any team they play against. It would be pretty dumb to accept them as our rival because it seems like the natural fit. We haven't been around long enough. All the hype with the ucf game is from the ucf side. We never made the game a big deal. We knew we would beat them pretty bad. Ucf needs usf to be their rival because it helps their program. If we are the upset they get,we get hurt,and they move higher. Do we really want that?...you gotta think logically. They are not our rival if our head coach brushes them off his shoulder as if they don't matter. Regardless of how we feel of them as a school or people on the football field we are not rivals.

• Content Count:  4,016

UCF is our rival and the only reason some USF fans say they aren't is to demean them. (Which just shows how much of a rivalry it is). I would much rather play UCF than Western Kentucky or whoever. It is a great game for the fans and gets a lot of local interest. Its also a great/close away game trip to make.

The only reason Leavitt won't play them is because he thinks we have much more to lose than they do. I don't think thats true. I think that if we beat them year in year out for a decade then we will totally devalue their program compared to ours. 3 wins doesn't do it for me. I hate UCF and want to crush them every single year.

First, the biggest asinine argument to the "PLay UCF because they are our Rival", is the point that "I would rather play UCF over WKU, or Elon, etc...."  Does this mean USF is not allowed to schedule lesser teams without asking UCF if they want the slot first?  Do people take into account the overall scheduling meaning USF, or rather coach leavitt, likes a scheduling build up.  He likes having a 1-AA team on the schedule or a very weakass 1-A team (far weaker then UCF), he likes playing a FL school, and then some build-up BCS games.

Every game we play against a team that is presumably worse then UCF why do we have to believe that slot should have gone to UCF?  Leavitt and the athletic department have been aggressively pursuing playing FL schools, 6 game series with Miami, we have FAU and FIU tattered on the future schedules, and they're willing to sign 2 for 1's, and we have UF on our schedule.  I don't blame Leavitt to want to limit seasons where we play no more than two teams from FL in the future because of the emotion.

Scheduling is an art, to simply dummy down our schedule for the sake of including UCF is silly.  Leavitt has his schedule and plans the way he wants it, no need to tinker with it.  BTW, over the past four years do you realize that FIU, and FAU have given us better games then UCF- actually in both football and hoops.  Something to think about, and maybe something for the UCF fans to think about.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

UCF is our rival and the only reason some USF fans say they aren't is to demean them. (Which just shows how much of a rivalry it is).

LOL .... Right, some of the biggest rivalries around have a good portion of the fans of one team denying there's a rivalry just to dis the other team ... Brilliant observation.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

So...I guess you would want us to CANCEL our in state series with UM, just so we can keep/develop a "rivalry" with UCF.  We're playing UM every year starting next year and we don't need another in state annual game.  True rivals are on the same level, ala Mich/OSU, AU/Ala, USC/UCLA, etc. etc. etc.

THOSE OF YOU ACCEPTING A RIVALRY WITH UCF ARE DOING THIS PROGRAM A TREMENDOUS DISSERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

USF does not have a rivalry with Disney World.  They only legitimate chance they had was with their "Record setting all-star" Minnie Mouse running the ball, but they are so totally below us in talent the game was hilarious.  I was so disappointed when Amarri stepped out of bounds in the last minute punt return preventing USF from getting the last 7 points. I mean 71 - 12 has a better ring to it.

This game is going to be so 1 sided it's not even going to be worth going.  Maybe if all the USF fans go we can wait at the gates b/c the stadium will be empty by half time.

And done say anything about the Disney references; all you UCF fans prove them because you're all so **** Goofy.

• Content Count:  412

Gotta love the same arguments thread after thread, lol...

1- No BCS/ Non-BCS rivalries exist- too much too lose on the BCS side vs. a lot to gain on the Non-BCS side.

2- CJL is ending the series. Moot point.

Now, if UCF were to grow a pair and join a BCS conference instead of touting their C-USA championship around (which is the equivalent of being held back a couple of grades and then bragging that you're the biggest kid in the class), then there would be ranking implications and etc. THEN, a series would be worth something. But not now. We've got bigger fish to fry.

We have nothing to gain by setting up a rivalry with a mid-major.

*NOTE- this is only in terms of football rivalry- all other aspects (enrollment, other NCAA sports, etc) is a different story, but one I don't feel has bearing on this thread.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

1- No BCS/ Non-BCS rivalries exist- too much too lose on the BCS side vs. a lot to gain on the Non-BCS side.

Now, if UCF were to grow a pair and join a BCS conference instead of touting their C-USA championship around (which is the equivalent of being held back a couple of grades and then bragging that you're the biggest kid in the class), then there would be ranking implications and etc. THEN, a series would be worth something. But not now. We've got bigger fish to fry.

*NOTE- this is only in terms of football rivalry- all other aspects (enrollment, other NCAA sports, etc) is a different story, but one I don't feel has bearing on this thread.

Disney World would sell their soles to join the BCS conferences.  It's just not going to happen.  There are only 3 league that would make geographical sense for them: BEast, ACC, and SEC.  Well, the SEC could probably use a 1-11 cupcake, but their full it wont happen.  The ACC is also full and have enough cellar dwellers already, and the BEast has USF and there is no way in hell we'll let them join.

Their best bet would be to start begging the Big 12, but it's still not likely.

This game will never have relevence.  Though, I'd like to see UCF in the rotations signing 2-1 along with FAU, FIU, and FAMU (no return games for famu though).  We can play UCiF every 4 years.  I'm fine with that or ever 3 and get rid of famu.

• Content Count:  412

Disney World would sell their soles to join the BCS conferences.  It's just not going to happen.  There are only 3 league that would make geographical sense for them: BEast, ACC, and SEC.  Well, the SEC could probably use a 1-11 cupcake, but their full it wont happen.  The ACC is also full and have enough cellar dwellers already, and the BEast has USF and there is no way in hell we'll let them join.

Their best bet would be to start begging the Big 12, but it's still not likely.

This game will never have relevence.  Though, I'd like to see UCF in the rotations signing 2-1 along with FAU, FIU, and FAMU (no return games for famu though).  We can play UCiF every 4 years.  I'm fine with that or ever 3 and get rid of famu.

FAMU was a fun game- all the fans I talked to were really nice and had great BBQ. Also the halftime show kicked @ss.

Archived