• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

And you all say we are not rivals... The USF Alumni Magazine must disagree

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I would like to develop a rivalry within the conference, please and thank you.

Viable options (in order of interest):  Pittsburgh....  Louisville...... Cincinnati.....  West Virginia..... Rutgers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the local Tampa media, players, USF Alumni Assoc and many USF fans (alumni too) have stated that to THEM, UCF is a rival.

The media has tried to play the series of games up. Outside of those that post on here that consider this a rivalry, I don't think you'd find that many who consider UCF a rival.

Actually, you would be quite surprised that it is probably the reverse ...

Outside of those that post on here that do not consider this a I rivalry, I do think you'll find many who consider UCF a rival.

I've talked to quite a few students & alumni over the years, and the do see UCF as a rival.  They were among the many clamoring for the game before it was scheduled. They are also some who do not understand why this isn't an annual series.

Oh, those of us here understand it.  For many good reasons posted on this thread.

We just can not use The Bulls Pen membership as a true gauge of our fan base.  We are the anomalies here...

I would like to develop a rivalry within the conference, please and thank you.

Viable options (in order of interest):  Pittsburgh....  Louisville...... Cincinnati.....  West Virginia..... Rutgers

We won't have a "rivalry" in conference...

Pittsburgh and West Virginia have the Backyard Brawl... you think either of those schools will elevate USF higher than their Brawl rival?

Louisville and Cincinnati share the same airport... and they have played for the Keg of Nails since 1929...  hard to really beat a rivalry that goes back almost 80 years...

So that leaves Rutgers, and I could see that as a possibility... Rutgers doesn't have any real traditional rivals... same with Syracuse and U Conn for football (in basketball that would be a different story).

But the biggest problem with an in-conference rivalry is geography.

Miami has the making of a great rivalry... close in distance... BCS-level competition... fan bases that have no respect for each other... I'd like to see the Miami series become permanent.

• Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

exactly! Just picture it now. Our arrogant fans who call ourselves the real U, against the real U. It is perfect. Let's take it back to the time we played them with julmiste qb'n for us. They scored in the first quarter and the beg. of the second then our defense shut it down. We just could not score with him at qb. Now it's a different story. It is perfect timing for these two teams to meet because the first game the advantage will be ours. The years after their recruiting class should give them the advantage but that is actually how we like it. I'm ready for Miami.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

As the local Tampa media, players, USF Alumni Assoc and many USF fans (alumni too) have stated that to THEM, UCF is a rival.

The media has tried to play the series of games up. Outside of those that post on here that consider this a rivalry, I don't think you'd find that many who consider UCF a rival.

Actually, you would be quite surprised that it is probably the reverse ...

Outside of those that post on here that do not consider this a I rivalry, I do think you'll find many who consider UCF a rival.

I've talked to quite a few students & alumni over the years, and the do see UCF as a rival.  They were among the many clamoring for the game before it was scheduled. They are also some who do not understand why this isn't an annual series.

Oh, those of us here understand it.  For many good reasons posted on this thread.

We just can not use The Bulls Pen membership as a true gauge of our fan base.  We are the anomalies here...

As it it pertains to our fan base, how exactly are we "anomalies'?

We won't have a "rivalry" in conference...

Pittsburgh and West Virginia have the Backyard Brawl... you think either of those schools will elevate USF higher than their Brawl rival?

Louisville and Cincinnati share the same airport... and they have played for the Keg of Nails since 1929...  hard to really beat a rivalry that goes back almost 80 years...

So that leaves Rutgers, and I could see that as a possibility... Rutgers doesn't have any real traditional rivals... same with Syracuse and U Conn for football (in basketball that would be a different story).

But the biggest problem with an in-conference rivalry is geography.

I don't think he's saying that we'll be the #1 rival of a conference mate but I don't see why we couldn't eventually turn into a rival of one or more of the BE teams. If we keep screwing up WVU's seasons, you don't think they're going to ge t a little extra pumped to play us? And Rutgers is a very real possibility if they keep screwing up OUR seasons ..... As far as geography being a big problem, are UF and the Vols considered rivals?

Trip... members of the Bulls Pen are anomalies because we are far, far, far more informed than your typical fan... especially those of us who post fairly often.

Rivalries tend to go both ways... in many ways, USF will be rivals of all opponents...

If you ask UF to list their top rivals you will see FSU, Georgia, then Tennessee... (IMHO)... Florida's feelings towards Tennessee are because their in the SEC East more than anything else.  If UT was like Vandy - as in not a good team - it would not be a rivalry at all.

• Content Count:  4,451

Death of the BCS, birth of a real FB playoff makes UCF, USF's No. 1 out of conference, in-state rival.  There is no argument unless one of the schools backs off its commitment to the game. 

• Content Count:  4,016

Death of the BCS, birth of a real FB playoff makes UCF, USF's No. 1 out of conference, in-state rival.  There is no argument unless one of the schools backs off its commitment to the game. 

Is this a cryptic message or something?  Do we need a decoder ring? ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Trip... members of the Bulls Pen are anomalies because we are far, far, far more informed than your typical fan... especially those of us who post fairly often.

That's what I figured .... We far,far, far more informed members realize that it's not a rivalry at this point and shouldn't ever be unless certain situations change ...

If you ask UF to list their top rivals you will see FSU, Georgia, then Tennessee... (IMHO)... Florida's feelings towards Tennessee are because their in the SEC East more than anything else.  If UT was like Vandy - as in not a good team - it would not be a rivalry at all.

That's really kind of what I was talking about, a lesser type rivalry with some of the BE teams that already have historic rivalries but ones we will hopefully be competing with for a BCS bowl bid on a regular basis ...

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

If we beat WVU again this year, it will be well on the way to becoming a rivalry, possibly their # 2 rivalry behind Ptt.

If we beat UM next year, it could well be on the way to becoming a rivalry.

USF-RU could become a rivalry.

We won't be hurting for rivalries.  Give it time (and don't settle for CDOA's UCF).

• Content Count:  99

UCF is our rival and the only reason some USF fans say they aren't is to demean them. (Which just shows how much of a rivalry it is). I would much rather play UCF than Western Kentucky or whoever. It is a great game for the fans and gets a lot of local interest. Its also a great/close away game trip to make.

The only reason Leavitt won't play them is because he thinks we have much more to lose than they do. I don't think thats true. I think that if we beat them year in year out for a decade then we will totally devalue their program compared to ours. 3 wins doesn't do it for me. I hate UCF and want to crush them every single year.

Archived