• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

And you all say we are not rivals... The USF Alumni Magazine must disagree

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Here is the thing, MAYBE to students going to USF now, UCF is a rival. To most alumni UCF is NOT a rival and playing them will do NOTHING to bring most of them on the fold.

Remember, 90% - 95% of USF's alumni doesn't even make it to USF home games so no clue how you can say that for the 200,000 alumni, UCF is or isn't a rival.

As the local Tampa media, players, USF Alumni Assoc and many USF fans (alumni too) have stated that to THEM, UCF is a rival.

So its not a rival to you...but please don't speak for the 200,000 USF Alumni.

PS. It's ok to have more than 1 rival (or 2, or 3, or 4, or even FIVE plus) on a football schedule.

Well going by your numbers if USF has over 200k alumni and 90% dont go to the games thats 180k and IF UCF WAS considered our rivals by those alumni themn ALL UCF games should had been packed to the rafters with scalpers making big time money on those that couldnt get in. Since that hasnt happened. Im safe to say that for alumni playing UCF was NOT something special.

We are breaking season tickets number and guess what UCF is NOT on our home schedule. and since I am an alumni chapter president I can tell you that there was NO extra excitement from playing you guys. Now UM thats diferent there are actually alumni that have NOR had season tickets getting them so they can be at the UM game.

You might not like it but that is the way it is.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Here is the thing, MAYBE to students going to USF now, UCF is a rival. To most alumni UCF is NOT a rival and playing them will do NOTHING to bring most of them on the fold.

Remember, 90% - 95% of USF's alumni doesn't even make it to USF home games so no clue how you can say that for the 200,000 alumni, UCF is or isn't a rival.

As the local Tampa media, players, USF Alumni Assoc and many USF fans (alumni too) have stated that to THEM, UCF is a rival.

PS. It's ok to have more than 1 rival (or 2, or 3, or 4, or even FIVE plus) on a football schedule.

Actually...it seems you are the person that can't comprehend how USF, USF fans, USF/local media have mentioned how USF/UCF are rivals...and can't accept it.

You obviously don't like it but that is the way it is.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Sorry, Sheriff, but you must catch up on your definition of a rivalry. Here are a few things to consider:

1) Close proximity...I'll give you that one.

2) Each game is close....Only the game in Orlando has been close

3) Each team does its share of winning....I think we are up 3-0!

And?

It took Ohio State SIXTEEN GAMES to finally beat Michigan.

How did that rivalry turn out over time?

It took Oklahoma EIGHT games to finally beat Texas.

It took FSU 7 games to finally beat Florida.

It took FSU 6 games to finally beat Miami...and 10 games to finally beat Miami twice.

Bottom line...with USF needing to schedule FIVE non-conf games per year...its a fun game where many fans/students/alumni from each school know fans/students/alumni from the other school...and with the stadiums just being only 85 miles a part, it makes a very easy game for diehards to travel to see their team play a road game...especially since all USF and UCF conf road games are sooooooo far away (98% of the fan bases stay home because of distance/cost).

Knight light, No offense, but I keep seeing you make this tired argument on every board.  It really does appear to some of us that UCF is begging to be our rival.  The main difference between the above example is that those started well before the bcs.  Quick, name just one TRUE rivalry (not some Marshall-WVU deal) that has started since the bcs began, between a bcs and non bcs program.  There aren't any.  As of now, BCS schools don't do rivalries with non bcs school.  This is just a fact.  We do need 5 conf games a year, and we trust Woolard/Leavitt to fill those adequately.  We are already playing everyone in the state, except for FSU.  We have an annual game with UM next year.  We really don't need another one.  We can play UM every year and rotate from among the rest of the FL schools into our schedule.  But there will be a large gap in time before playing ucf again.  USF, after playing UM, will forget about this series with ucf.  Sure we might play someday, at a place and time of our choosing, but it will never be a true rivalry.  Unless of course you guys somehow get into the BE.  I will grant you that then it would become a rivalry, but not before.

• Content Count:  1,894

Well most people consider them a rival. By definition it would seem they are as well, but my opinion is alittle different. The yankees-red sox is a rivalry to me. Similar to the Rays and Red sox but they aren't considered rivals. The rays until this year would consistantly get beat up by them. That didn't make them rivals until this year when they started competing. I will consider ucf our rival when they compete with us on the field. I would much rather miami be our rival. I know we play them in every sport basically at school but they really are just a bitter sister school. If we allow ourselves to be happy with that as our rivalry then we will be stuck at mediocrity. We must get some history and find our true rival but in our little time if you want to consider them the closed thing we have to a rival, thats fine.

UCF NOT MY RIVAL.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Why is it that 100% of UCF fans consider it to be a rivalry, but 75-80% of USF fans do NOT consider it to be a rivalry.  HMMMM....

What does that tell you.  Don't you have to have 2 sides to be a rivalry.

UCF, you do have a good rivalry budding with ECU.  Go with that and run with it and quit begging to be USF's rival.

• Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Actually...it seems you are the person that can't comprehend how USF, USF fans, USF/local media have mentioned how USF/UCF are rivals...and can't accept it.

You obviously don't like it but that is the way it is.

Actually I dont care either way. i have season tix to USF and fly to many away games. i wont be going to the UCF game is my choice. Im just saying what I see of the alumni that I deal with. If others, or the tampa media or the students want to consider it a rival then thats their choice. All Im trying to point out to you is the reality that to most alumni the UCF game has NOT been the atraction that a rival would bring.

You seem to be the one that cant comprehend that many USF fans do NOT consider UCF a rival. Sorry if you dont like it but thats the way it is.

• Content Count:  1,894

Well I'm agree as well you can't speak for all the alumni. I'm a student,former student athlete and I played ucf every year in baseball. The rivalry between our schools is on the baseball diamond and that might be it. We go back and forth with them and it is pretty competitive. That doesn't mean just because they are close and we have to play them in other sports that they are our football rival. Football is it's own monster. They will have their own rival. I just don't think it's ucf. Ucf fans might want it to be but it's just not there.

Ucf should get a series with Fau and develop one because last year I felt fau was better than ucf, that's just me.

CJL knows what he is doing by scheduling UM for this series because it could develop into something special and ignite our recruiting class. We are moving on to the bigger and better matchup.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Sorry, Sheriff, but you must catch up on your definition of a rivalry. Here are a few things to consider:

And?

It took FSU 6 games to finally beat Miami...and 10 games to finally beat Miami twice.

Bottom line...with USF needing to schedule FIVE non-conf games per year...its a fun game where many fans/students/alumni from each school know fans/students/alumni from the other school...and with the stadiums just being only 85 miles a part, it makes a very easy game for diehards to travel to see their team play a road game...especially since all USF and UCF conf road games are sooooooo far away (98% of the fan bases stay home because of distance/cost).

Knight light, No offense, but I keep seeing you make this tired argument on every board.  It really does appear to some of us that UCF is begging to be our rival.  The main difference between the above example is that those started well before the bcs.  Quick, name just one TRUE rivalry (not some Marshall-WVU deal) that has started since the bcs began, between a bcs and non bcs program.  There aren't any.  As of now, BCS schools don't do rivalries with non bcs school.  This is just a fact.  We do need 5 conf games a year, and we trust Woolard/Leavitt to fill those adequately.  We are already playing everyone in the state, except for FSU.  We have an annual game with UM next year.  We really don't need another one.  We can play UM every year and rotate from among the rest of the FL schools into our schedule.  But there will be a large gap in time before playing ucf again.  USF, after playing UM, will forget about this series with ucf.  Sure we might play someday, at a place and time of our choosing, but it will never be a true rivalry.  Unless of course you guys somehow get into the BE.  I will grant you that then it would become a rivalry, but not before.

And what he can't get through his thick head is that his examples are universities from bordering STATES or universities within a state vying for the TOP SPOT in the state. Our situation is nowhere near those....

The problem with these Kanigits who just won't let this  go is that the thought of their biggest rival being ECU is downright frightening...

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The media has tried to play the series of games up. Outside of those that post on here that consider this a rivalry, I don't think you'd find that many who consider UCF a rival.

• Content Count:  4,016

And?

And what he can't get through his thick head is that his examples are universities from bordering STATES or universities within a state vying for the TOP SPOT in the state. Our situation is nowhere near those....

The problem with these Kanigits who just won't let this  go is that the thought of their biggest rival being ECU is downright frightening...

There is always FAU for them. ;D  Opps I said it now there will be a dozen knights explaining how they're miles ahead of FAU.

Again, we are their rival at some level in some sports, but overall it appears this series in football, and mens and women's hoops doesn't carry the same validity for USF it does for UCF.  For that they're not a true-blue rival.  We're competing for players on the national top 100 lists in all those sports with nationally known schools.  We really can't look back and pretend that with one game against the knights who generally don't have the talent we possess overall in those sports that we're now down to their level.  No offense to the knights because they play at a high level in those sports, it's just right now we play at a slightly higher level.  Our vision and goal in football is to compete with the UF's and FSU's, if we're not then we're not meeting our goal of winning conference championships, and in hoops we're competing with the UL, Cinci's, and Gtown's of the world, and if we're not making those teams our goals and making UCF our goal then we're not seeing the vision of winning conference championships.

As KL did say we're always going to be competitors and rivals in the state because we all compete for the ever diminishing almighty dollar, fans, students...but we compete with FAU, FIU, and FSU too for those same resources, so by that definition those guys are equal as rivals in our eyes to UCF.  But when you bring it down to football, and hoops, the big money makers, our University would be selling it's fans short by trying to tie itself in, and compete solely with UCF because they are not on the same plateau as our conference brethren, the people we need to beat to win conference titles. 

Archived