• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

And you all say we are not rivals... The USF Alumni Magazine must disagree

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

On the inside back page of the USF Alumni Mag, there is a page dedicated to athletics and "Bulls by the Numbers". Well... the number 95.9 states: "miles between USF and rival UCF". Considering this is the offical magazine of USF, I think this sums it up... UCF is our rival no matter how much we talk down to the sissy's.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Definition of rival:

ri·val (rvl)

n.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

3. Obsolete A companion or an associate in a particular duty.

v. ri·valed or ri·valled, ri·val·ing or ri·val·ling, ri·vals

v.tr.

1. To attempt to equal or surpass.

2. To be the equal of; match: "They achieved more than they had ever dreamed, lending a magic to their family story that no tale or ordinary life could possibly rival" Doris Kearns Goodwin.

v.intr.

To be a competitor or rival; compete.

If the shoe fits..........

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

they are a RIVAL...GET OVER IT

• Content Count:  4,016

You three are smart, and incredible fans...so why try to force the issue?  At some level they're a rival, hell every school is a rival of one another because we all compete for the same dollars, the same fans, the same media attention, the same goals...so by that definition that was spelled out by Bulls I then UF is our rival, and FSU is our rival and so on.  UCF is a competitive rival with us as much as any other state school,to put geographic boundaries on it is limiting the scope of the rivalry definition...does that mean OKST is more of a rival to OK then Texas?  Some will argue differently despite geographic issues, they're just different rivals. 

At some level UCF will always be a 'rival' of ours, but so will other state schools.  What if we start a heated and very competitive rivalry with Miami in this upcoming six game series?  Do you think we should drop that rivalry in lieu of UCF because of geography?  That's the big point, being go with the flow, the University is obviously embracing a rivalry with Miami, even going as far as starting to schedule to game during rivalry weekend in FL (Thanksgiving weekend).  So if USF finds that more appealing despite what the UCF 'rivalry' offers then I am all for embracing that one first and seeing what comes of it.  UCF will always offer some rivalry potentials in other sports, and perhaps it will come about again in football, but for the time being I am willing to let the football program decide it's own fate and go with the flow.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

You three are smart, and incredible fans...so why try to force the issue?  At some level they're a rival, hell every school is a rival of one another because we all compete for the same dollars, the same fans, the same media attention, the same goals...so by that definition that was spelled out by Bulls I then UF is our rival, and FSU is our rival and so on.  UCF is a competitive rival with us as much as any other state school,to put geographic boundaries on it is limiting the scope of the rivalry definition...does that mean OKST is more of a rival to OK then Texas?  Some will argue differently despite geographic issues, they're just different rivals. 

At some level UCF will always be a 'rival' of ours, but so will other state schools.  What if we start a heated and very competitive rivalry with Miami in this upcoming six game series?  Do you think we should drop that rivalry in lieu of UCF because of geography?   That's the big point, being go with the flow, the University is obviously embracing a rivalry with Miami, even going as far as starting to schedule to game during rivalry weekend in FL (Thanksgiving weekend).  So if USF finds that more appealing despite what the UCF 'rivalry' offers then I am all for embracing that one first and seeing what comes of it.  UCF will always offer some rivalry potentials in other sports, and perhaps it will come about again in football, but for the time being I am willing to let the football program decide it's own fate and go with the flow.

Well said. 

• Content Count:  289

To an extent, I suppose we will always be rivals.  Our rivalry will probably be more secure notwithstanding contingencies.  Because of the similarities behind our schools we'll likely have a more bitter rivalry than either of us could have with Miami.  I mean after all there have to be fans on the other side in order to have a rivalry right?  With Miami's small enrollment and fickle fair weather fans it would be difficult to cultivate much of a relationship there. 

The rivalry with Miami will be contingent upon the outcome on the field.  If Miami were to soundly beat you several years in a row I suspect that USF fans would move on and not want to continue the series until the field were leveled at some future point. 

Now I think the rivalry with UCF would not be contingent upon any such thing.  You'd continue to enjoy playing us and we would continue to enjoy playing you for bragging rights because of the similarities we share as well as our short distance from one another.

It is just a fun atmosphere when we play.  I'll also go on record as betting that UCF fills your stadium with more visiting tickets than Miami ever will.

Anyways, I'm sorry to see it go away.  This is even within view of what happened to us last year.  The game is worth playing and has intrinsic quality.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

Definition of rival:

ri·val (rvl)

n.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

v.tr.

2. To be the equal of; match: "They achieved more than they had ever dreamed, lending a magic to their family story that no tale or ordinary life could possibly rival" Doris Kearns Goodwin.

v.intr.

Just which "shoe" up there fits USF's situation? ..... I don't see one.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Definition of rival:

ri·val (rvl)

n.

v.tr.

v.intr.

Just which "shoe" up there fits USF's situation? ..... I don't see one.

Going by this definition, they are not rivals.  They are "rivals" due to proximity, but not true rivals, and never will be unless they get into a bcs conf.  They are rivals like WVU and Marshall are rivals.  In a true heated rivalry, BOTH sides want to play and win that game more than any game on their schedule, like a Mich/OSU or a Aub/Ala.  It makes their year.  And both teams are on the same level.  Both of those are not true about this series.  Many (probably most) USF fans do not want this series to continue, although some do.  Most want a rival with another bcs team, on our level.  They will always be rivals due to proximity, but in every aspect of the definition of rivals given above, they are not rivals.  We don't want a rivalry with UCF, get over it people.  Focus on Miami, WVU, and other bcs programs.  Why do you think Leavitt is calling out FL to come to Tampa, he is thinking bigger time that some of you people.   

• Content Count:  12,293

we are rivals because no only do we compete for recruits ( not so much, we are clearly a better program with more to offer)  but we ARE rivals because we compete for TUITION!!

maybe im too young for this but when i graduated in 2000 there was FSU, UF, and Miami as far as football was concerned.....

i went to USF.  not for the football team but for the simple fact that i wanted to live in tampa not orlando.

USF and UCF compete for the college students who arent 100% sold on FSU or UF. 

if you take football completely out of the picture we are rivals in every sense of the word.  now anyone who knows football that wants to say we are rivals on the field is stupid.  we are clearly a better program.  but we are rivals because students at both schools have friends at the other and we will continue to look for that game to brag about.

let me ask you this...what game would you rather lose???

UCF or Rutgers?

if you answer rutgers then you are lying.  we are rivals get over it..because  if you want to pull the whole "yea you beat us but we won the big east(even if that rutgers game was for the big east)"  it still isnt true. 

i

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

let me ask you this...what game would you rather lose???

UCF or Rutgers?

if you answer rutgers then you are lying.  we are rivals get over it..because  if you want to pull the whole "yea you beat us but we won the big east(even if that rutgers game was for the big east)"  it still isnt true. 

I'm not sure that came out the way you wanted it to but I would sure rather beat Rutgers than UCF, ESPECIALLY, as you said, if the Rutgers game was for the BE title and and a BCS bowl ..... That is a no-brainer!

Archived