• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowden says maybe we'll play

This part of Greg's post was interesting...

"The only reason you ever hesitate to play somebody like that is you build up their credibility," Bowden said, speaking about FAU. "That's why (West Virginia) didn't want to play (Marshall), that's why people kind of go slow picking up somebody. You build their credibility. You don't want them to have that yet."

What he is saying is that FSU doesn't want to play USF because it would "build up their credibility."

Sounds an awful lot like what USF fans say about UCF.

Now, I know ... USF was #2 in the country and is in a BCS conference, so we already have more credibility... but I just wanted to point out that USF fans can not be mad at Bowden or FSU until USF wins the Big East championship and beats one of the Big Three.  Then FSU would not be doing anything for our credibility by playing us... then we can clamor for a game and not worry about hypocrisy.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Now, I know ... USF was #2 in the country and is in a BCS conference, so we already have more credibility... but I just wanted to point out that USF fans can not be mad at Bowden or FSU until USF wins the Big East championship and beats one of the Big Three.  Then FSU would not be doing anything for our credibility by playing us... then we can clamor for a game and not worry about hypocrisy.

I am not mad or upset at Bowden or anyone else.  If it is in our best interest and another schools best interest to play then we will play.  Until then, we wont.  I don't blame anyone or any organization for refusing to do something that isn't in their best interest.  That being said, I don't feel the need to beat FSU or UF to establish ourselves as "at that level".  USF wins the BE and wins a BCS bowl I think we are there.  Be ranked in the top 5 or top 10 for a few years we are definitly there.

I think at some point real soon schools such as FSU are going to realize that playing us doesn't give us any more or less credibility, we are already there.  At that point it will become a simple matter of if the game makes sense for them and for us. 

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Agreed Jim... we are getting there and slowly removing the excuses the big boys have.

The only one they'll have soon is that they are afraid of losing :)

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

some day.  http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/07/bowden-on-playi.html#comments

Chances are Bobby Bowden won't be coaching at Florida State if it ever happens, but the Seminoles coach said Friday that the struggling economy could lead to FSU playing more nonconference games closer to home, and USF could be a possibility along those lines.

"I think eventually, that could happen," Bowden said. "Yes, (gas prices) could change that. Whether it will, I don't know, but it could, sure could. ... You usually try to find somebody that you've got a chance to win, instead of getting your nose bloodied."

That says it in a nutshell....we will bloody their noses so I guess it will be some time before we could not compete against FSU

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

There is no reason why this game shouldn't be played. For all of this talk about FSU playing a tough OOC, wouldn't it seem to make more sense for them to play USF than one of the 2 1 AA's they have to start this season?

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

bowden is clearly the best coach in college football history. 

he tells it like it is.  and if you dont like it....

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

There is no reason why this game shouldn't be played. For all of this talk about FSU playing a tough OOC, wouldn't it seem to make more sense for them to play USF than one of the 2 1 AA's they have to start this season?

I think they are playing the 2 1aa's because of the players that will be suspended to start the season, it would be stupid for them to play us then with alot of the players stuck on the sidelines.

Like others have said no rush to play FSU it will happen when it happens.  I want to see the team win the big east first.

FSU signed the 2nd FCS game before the suspensions were announced... I think this is Bobby's last season and they wanted as many wins and home games as possible... Only 1 of the FCS wins will count towards the 6 wins needed for bowl eligibility.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

Similar argument to that which UCiF uses when chiding us to play them every year.

Bowden is classy.  He probably meant it as a compliment.  We will rise to the top with or without FSU.  It isn't up to them; it is up to us.

• Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Here are the reasons for NOT playing us and playing TWO 1AAs.

One- ALL games at FSU where they will have 80k and keep most of the money.

Two- Dont have to worry about getting beat

Three- Dont give USF a shot at showing recruits and nation that they can beat FSU.

Four- They already play UF and UM yearly no need for another tough instate game.

So it makes good sense for them NOt to play. Sorry but I dont see us playing FSU nor UF in Tampa any time soon. There is a higher chance of us playing them in a Bowl game.

Would the Gator want a FSU-USF match up? You know they would sell out in a heart beat.

Archived