• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida Four

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

I've always said we should aim for higher recoginition than the Big 3 status.  Why limit ourselves to just the state of Florida?  How about we become known as a national power instead?

I understand what your saying but I kind of disagree.  After UF won the national championship they were still considered part of the "BIG 3", albeit the best of the 3.  As long as UF, FSU, and UM win championships or bring in highly rated recruiting classes they will continue to be the big 3.  I believe we are the 4th best team in FL but we won't gain recognition as one of the top FL programs until we beat those programs ahead of us.  Fortunetaly we will have our chance to prove it on the field.  Thats whats so great about sports.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although CJL says it, I don't think USF technically has to beat one of the Big 3 to join 'em.  Let's say USF does the unthinkable this year and wins the National Championship. Would we be Big 4 then?

* UF, FSU, and Miami were playing and beating each other for decades before Miami won the first championship in the bunch (1983).

* Florida didn't win it's first SEC championship until 1991 (the same year Miami won it's fourth National Championship)... Was it the "Big One" before 1991??

* FSU and Miami didn't play in a conference until 1992...

* FSU won it's first national championship in 1993 and Florida in 1996...

So, what I guess I am saying is that USF's inclusion among the Elite programs in the state is could be independent of performance against the Big 3.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree Jim

But somehow I believe it's gonna be awhile before the Nation as a whole includes us with the  other three.

Rome wasn't built in a day and those three programs are as good as it gets nationally

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Although CJL says it, I don't think USF technically has to beat one of the Big 3 to join 'em.  Let's say USF does the unthinkable this year and wins the National Championship. Would we be Big 4 then?

* UF, FSU, and Miami were playing and beating each other for decades before Miami won the first championship in the bunch (1983).

* Florida didn't win it's first SEC championship until 1991 (the same year Miami won it's fourth National Championship)... Was it the "Big One" before 1991??

* FSU and Miami didn't play in a conference until 1992...

* FSU won it's first national championship in 1993 and Florida in 1996...

So, what I guess I am saying is that USF's inclusion among the Elite programs in the state is could be independent of performance against the Big 3.

Assuming we start and finish in the top 20 this year and next, and win bowl games both years.  Beat UM next year too.  and if FSU and UM do their part and end in the top 25, the Media will call us the Big Four or Florida Four. 

We have some work to do to get there, but the groundwork is already in place. 

Archived