• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hamed Earns Elite Big East Honor

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

Hamed Earns Elite Big East Honor

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The BIG EAST Conference has announced the 21 winners of the 2007-08 BIG EAST Scholar-Athlete Sport Excellence Awards, which recognize academic and athletic achievement as well as community service.

USF men’s tennis player Mahmoud Hammed is the conference’s lone representative for the sport.

“Mahmoud is organized and knows what he wants out of life,” said USF head coach Don Barr. “He works hard, he approaches objectives the right way and he deserves every piece of recognition he receives on and off the court.”

The Scholar-Athlete Sport Excellence Awards are given to one student-athlete in each BIG EAST sport based on academic credentials, athletic accolades or performances and volunteer service to the community. Student-athletes who attained junior academic standing and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 are eligible. The winners are chosen by the BIG EAST faculty athletic representatives.

“It is an honor to be recognized as the best in the Big East, but this speaks to maturity and character,” said USF Associate AD For Student-Athlete Development  Amy Haworth .  “For Mahmoud, factor in that he has accomplished all these things in the classroom and on the court while living thousands of miles away from family.  He is an outstanding representative of this University. We are very proud of him and the entire men’s tennis program.”

The Bulls finished the season ranked No. 44 nationally and Hamed, who is a native of Cairo Egypt, was a major contributor to their NCAA Tournament run.  Hamed was 15-15 on the season playing between the No. 1 and No. 2 spots.  The senior will return to a team next year that could be one of the best in program history.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

He is one exciting player to watch also.  Seriously tenacious.

Archived