• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF on the cusp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Laugh away.  I just think its far to early to try to rank anything considering none of these kids have even played their senior seasons.  If you don't like that that's fine but please pick up your skirt sally.  This is a message board im stating my opinion if you don't like it don't read it or don't reply.  Now either move along or continue acting like a little girl about my opinion. 

Exactly, this is a message board and i'm just stating my opinion that you're constanty looking for ways to be negative.  I would bet that i'm not the first person in your lifetime say it.  After all, who wants to be around a negative person all the time?  Why wouldn't I read or reply to your post?  I clicked on a thread that I was interested in only to see you crap on it.  So anything else you want to add?

LOL @ looking for ways to be negative because i believe it to be silly to be "on the cusp" when the class is 1/2 full and a large part about how we finish this class has to do with how the team performs on the field and non of the kids have signed a LOI.  Hell we've had many recruits verbal then sign somewhere else that they perceive as greener pastures come Feb, including one player who has already decommitted from us and another that has changed his verbal to a soft verbal.  The article would be accurate if it was posted in say January or even december (when teams truly will be rounding out their classes and have a chance to be on the cusp) but to act like anyone is on the cusp of anything whenit's July and the majority of the recruiting classes  around the country are 1/2 full or less that's puff and sorry but i like substance not puff.  Now carry on with your crying about someone having an opinion that isn't all cotton candy and rainbows and actually realistic.   

I agree it's early.  However, what kids verballed and switched in February?  Only one I can think of is Anthony Jones.  Could be others, just not recalling any.  

As for decommits, I think 85-90% of kids stay with who they verballed to, so what we have is a good start.  Difton did decommit but very well may end up back with us, as the issue with him was that mom wanted him to at least see a few schools before committing.  Well that, and the "why USF" push that exists in some areas.

If we can reel in some of the big fish we're on then this could be a very good class, which it is shaping up to be.

Im not talking about actually decommitting on signing day but rather the verbal then bail that has happened to us many times before but most are usually in the fall.  Also most of the kids that do bail are usually early commits.  Difton and woods have already backed off of their verbals and if we disappoint this season (i in no way shape or form want us to) i can see a kid or two bailing and Bellamy is a real long shot because of grades from everything ive heard.  This is why i find the article silly. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Actually, we got George Baker in Feb who was an early verbal to Auburn.

Also, in THIS class it has been reported in various places that James Green had given an early verbal to Auburn and then decommitted from them and gave us a verbal.

PalmettoSports.com front page | E-mail this article  | print this article

May 22, 2008

Green Still Available

By Phil Kornblut

WR James Green (6-4 200) of Tallahassee is still on the market after pulling back a commitment to Auburn according to a source familiar with his recruiting. Green apparently had given Auburn a pledge but quickly withdrew it and is continuing to weigh his options. He has offers from Auburn, USC, Central Florida, Minnesota, Syracuse, Iowa State and Ole Miss.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20080522/PSPORTS02/394385488/-1/psports

In addition, Rodney Scott is a soft Auburn verbal and is leaning to USF. Edit: Now Scout no longer lists him as an AU verbal.

Rodney Scott

School Interest Level Offer? 

South Florida High Interest Yes     

Auburn Med Interest Yes   

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=3615021

So, we'll probably gain just as many as we lose, if not more.

You just proved my whole point for me mama.  Verbals don't mean squat and recruits regularly back out of them and it's even more likely when the player has committed during the summer.  The reason behind this is other than the top prospects the recruiting really doesn't pick up for most kids till coaches see them play as a senior or after their senior season.  Yes we've benefited from some decommits and been hurt by some but the fact remains its still just the second week in July and many of these kids will still have coaches from across the country promising them the world over the next few months.  As i said earlier classes really start to take shape from December on, and the later a kid chooses his school the more likely they are to stick to it.  If this article was written in December or January i wouldn't have a problem with it but the facts are its still july and no program anywhere is on the cusp of anything.  Love it, hate it, be indifferent but its the truth.     

I think you miss the point.

It's the PERCEPTION that really matters.

When ESPN puts out its early rankings it gives an indication who is starting out well in recruiting. The PERCEPTION that USF is doing very well at the moment, HELPS to recruit other players who want to be part of a strong recruiting class.   

When ESPN puts out its early rankings it gives an indication who is starting out well in recruiting. The PERCEPTION that USF is doing very well at the moment, HELPS to recruit other players who want to be part of a strong recruiting class.     

obviously any press is good press but other than the mention i dont find much exciting about the article.   

obviously any press is good press but other than the mention i dont find much exciting about the article.   

It's not at all obvious than any press is good press when it comes to recruiting.

Did you read the earlier ESPN front page article on USF recruiting, comparing it favorably to the recruiting at Ohio State? That's pretty good press:

Ohio State not alone in recent recruiting hauls

...Although it was an impressive haul for the Buckeyes, I have seen something similar in recent past -- actually very recent past, as in this past week. While Ohio State was reeling in talent, South Florida was having likely the most important week in the recruiting history of its program. The Bulls coming off their Super Bull Camp landed seven prospects this past week, six of them in one day. Excellent prospects like Victor Marc (Hallandale, Fla.), Ricardo Dixon (Hallandale, Fla.) and Demi Thompson (Lake Mary, Fla.) jumped on board. In my opinion this was a little bigger of a week than that of the Buckeyes because they landed one more commitment and this was a much more monumental haul for South Florida than it was for Ohio State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/columns/story?columnist=haubert_craig&id=3466932

Then they had the big story on USF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/notebook?page=peprally/080627

Now they are featuring RB Lamar Miller and his six finalists and USF is listed among them.

All of that taken together is making a good IMPRESSION about USF recruiting this year.

When a recruit sees that OTHER players are picking USF over teams such as Tenn and Auburn, that makes him much more comfortable in considering and even choosing USF. He knows that other top guys are also coming in and he won't have to do it alone. It becomes more of a reality that USF can really become a powerful team WHILE he is there. 

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Not many guys back out of verbals.  We have a pretty good record of keeping them.  I think we lost that Mains guy last year, but I don't remember anyone else. 

We've also never had a start like this.  There's not much negative to be seen here.

Archived