• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stud alert: Players ready to break out

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

riz, i agree grothe needs to improve as a pocket passer. every preview i've read says grothe needs to improve his decision making so im sure he's got the message by now. while i think he'll improve because of a good oline, better options, experience ect, he is limited due to his height and arm stregnth.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I have faith in Mike Ford as well guys. However, Ben Williams is still the BEST pass protecting back we have. He might be one of the best in the nation, just watch the film. Take the time to see the way this guy picks up the blitz and protects Grothe. Then, once you have done that, go back and look at the Rutgers game. There was a play, I believe in the second or third quarter, in which Mike Ford was in at RB. It was a passing play and Mike Ford allowed a blitzing CB (or it might have been an LB) to go by completely untouched. This resulted in Grothe getting clobbered for a huge sack.

Is Mike Ford the most powerful runner we have? Yes.

Does Mike Ford have the highest upside of any of the RB's in our stable? Absolutely.

Was Mike Ford the most complete back we had in 2007? No. I hope that has changed with another year in the system and time to learn his blocking assignments on passing downs.

• Content Count:  12,293

and the Defense is the biggest question mark of all--- we lost 2 corners to the NBA, and an all-BE linebacker in Big Ben.

Yeah man, it sucks that the Celtics and the Magic drafted our cornerbacks, but at least Moffitt got a Free Agent Spot with the Raptors!

;D

Too bad Heath couldnt get those guys in the lineup for the stretch run.

• Content Count:  1,985

I was trying to look for stats on the internet to see what games Mike Ford excelled in when he had 15 or more carries. Instead I found this: http://www.mikefordonline.org/.

Had no clue there was a web site for him

I went to it, but my computer kept dropping the link.....haha

• Content Count:  3,403

mike ford doesnt have fumble problems.....

point blank.

they said tiki had fumble problems

give him the ROCK.  he will plow linebackers

Tiki DID have fumble problems.  He got over it by holding the ball in a higher location and focusing on a tight grip.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

My breakout players this year are Jason Sherman and AJ Love on Offense and Tyler Roberts on D.  I think Roberts is one of the best athletes on the team and he'll be able to show that with the playing time that he'll get.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,566
  • Days Won:  29

I have no idea of the fumbles by Ford, but don't think it was anything close to 5% ... I would have Ford carry the ball more - bigger potential to make things happen.

Really feel he'll be a better back that Franks would want him in - it's mainly his call, not Gregory.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Ford should be getting as many carries as gameplanned.  I still consider Grothe our most dangerous runner and defenses will either know or soon figure out that stacking the box will spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!! 

It is CRUCIAL that we get the Ford rolling right out of the gate.  Leavitt BETTER not put the brakes on in this TN-Martin game!  If you need to keep rolling up points until your offense looks like it's on key, then you better keep doing it!!!  Don't give me this "oh, run a vanilla offense and keep it close to make the other team happy" GARBAGE!!  I hope Leavitt learned his lesson after Elon's coach wrote a letter to the alumni apologizing for "losing a winable game."  Screw that!!!  To me, beating a 1-AA team by 15 and then PAYING them for playing us is a LOSS!!  They're getting paid, give them their friggin money's worth.  People won't give you crap for hanging 70+ points on an FCS opponent---- hell, you're supposed to!!! 

Maybe I'll be the only USF fan with this opinion, but if you have the opportunity to knock an opponent on it's ass, the do it, with the utmost respect.  I'm not saying let Grothe throw for 600 and Ford run for 300... I mean, you can put in the backups... but you still need to run your offense accordingly.  I will be greatly disappointed if I have to sit and watch the second half of this game HOPING WE HANG ON!   

Sorry, I drifted well off topic, and now I'm all jacked up!!!  Bottom line, Ford should be used as game-planned. 

whoa man-- take a chill pill regarding the warm up game. If anything, it may have put the next opponent (AUBURN) a little less concerned when we just kind of meandered through that game.

I'm not sayin we should do it as some sort of deception but here are the things I want out of game 1:

1) NO ONE GETS HURT

2) WE WIN

3) Our first team offense and defense gets in a good half of football and is prepped for the Kansas game

4) Our backups get plenty of time on the field and experience that will be vital going forward

5) a decent crowd that sticks around for atleast one half.

Chill pill has been taken.  I basically wanted to say what you just said...  except prepare for the UCF game.

• Content Count:  1,894

lol at losing the two corners to the NBA. Lol. I don't think he even realized. Mike ford ready to break out?..I think he showed us a glimpse of what he can do with last year and he doesn't have to be the question of being ready to break out. We need Buie to have a breakout season at de,along with bedford. This double sided pressure will allow a break from Selvie's double teams and give our corners some help from what we lost.

I have no idea of the fumbles by Ford, but don't think it was anything close to 5% ... I would have Ford carry the ball more - bigger potential to make things happen.

Really feel he'll be a better back that Franks would want him in - it's mainly his call, not Gregory.

Go BULLS !!!

According to the game by game stats on GoUSFBulls... Ford had 5 fumbles on 138 carries plus 2 receptions... by game: WVU 2 (lost 1) / UCF 1 (lost 0) / Pitt 2 (lost 1).

Now, 20 carries per game would be 240 carries on the season... which would be 3-4 more fumbles on the season.

It may or may not be that bad... but turnovers are a big deal -- but if Mike can hold onto the ball I would agree.

Archived