• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Papel Bum!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I dont like the term "buy Championships" because as you can see, all the money in the world still doesn't buy you a championship (i.e. the yankees since 2000). All it does is allow you to go get the players you want. If there is a guys out there that a large and small market team wants, sorry small market, money talks. But as far as gauranteeing a championship, we can all see that this is not the case.

Also, the yankees in the '90s started with home grown talent. Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Bernie williams, Andy Pettite, etc. Then they took the money they had to get who we wanted. (Or atleast keep them from going to the Red Sox lol)

I'm for a salary cap.....of say $200 million  ;D

Its not the fact that they are buying championships but they are driving up the market for free agents that it becomes nearly impossible for small market teams to retain the players that they develop into stars.  If there was a salary cap you would see more franchises in smaller markets have sustained success due to actually being able to keep the talent that they scout and develop for the long term.  If you dont think teams like the Yankees, Sox, Mets etc dont have an advantage because of the lack of the salary cap you're blind.  With the current lack of a salary cap all other teams are in a perpetual catch up mode every off season due to the advantage that small group of teams at the top of the payroll heap have.  Fact is that the fans of the team at the top of the heap know deep down inside they have an advantage and will never ever want to give that up. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

I dont like the term "buy Championships" because as you can see, all the money in the world still doesn't buy you a championship (i.e. the yankees since 2000). All it does is allow you to go get the players you want. If there is a guys out there that a large and small market team wants, sorry small market, money talks. But as far as gauranteeing a championship, we can all see that this is not the case.

Also, the yankees in the '90s started with home grown talent. Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Bernie williams, Andy Pettite, etc. Then they took the money they had to get who we wanted. (Or atleast keep them from going to the Red Sox lol)

Its not the fact that they are buying championships but they are driving up the market for free agents that it becomes nearly impossible for small market teams to retain the players that they develop into stars.  If there was a salary cap you would see more franchises in smaller markets have sustained success due to actually being able to keep the talent that they scout and develop for the long term.  If you dont think teams like the Yankees, Sox, Mets etc dont have an advantage because of the lack of the salary cap you're blind.   With the current lack of a salary cap all other teams are in a perpetual catch up mode every off season due to the advantage that small group of teams at the top of the payroll heap have.  Fact is that the fans of the team at the top of the heap know deep down inside they have an advantage and will never ever want to give that up. 

they play within the rules. If Bill Gates bought the Rays and spent 200 million a season people on this board would not complain. The Marlins have never been huge spenders (97 they spent some money) and still have 2 championships. Small market teams need smart baseball men in the FO.

• Content Count:  760
  • Days Won:  0

Its not the fact that they are buying championships but they are driving up the market for free agents that it becomes nearly impossible for small market teams to retain the players that they develop into stars.  If there was a salary cap you would see more franchises in smaller markets have sustained success due to actually being able to keep the talent that they scout and develop for the long term.  If you dont think teams like the Yankees, Sox, Mets etc dont have an advantage because of the lack of the salary cap you're blind.   With the current lack of a salary cap all other teams are in a perpetual catch up mode every off season due to the advantage that small group of teams at the top of the payroll heap have.  Fact is that the fans of the team at the top of the heap know deep down inside they have an advantage and will never ever want to give that up. 

You're right. The advantage goes to where the money's at.

But hey, don't forget about revenue sharing  ;)

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Its not the fact that they are buying championships but they are driving up the market for free agents that it becomes nearly impossible for small market teams to retain the players that they develop into stars.  If there was a salary cap you would see more franchises in smaller markets have sustained success due to actually being able to keep the talent that they scout and develop for the long term.  If you dont think teams like the Yankees, Sox, Mets etc dont have an advantage because of the lack of the salary cap you're blind.   With the current lack of a salary cap all other teams are in a perpetual catch up mode every off season due to the advantage that small group of teams at the top of the payroll heap have.  Fact is that the fans of the team at the top of the heap know deep down inside they have an advantage and will never ever want to give that up. 

Of course the teams at the top of the salary range know they have an advantage...  that is pretty obvious.

But it is within the rules... so they are not screwing up the game for anyone.  They are making advantages for themselves which is exactly what they should be doing if they can.

If the rules are causing problems... the lower budget teams need to band together and get the rules changed.

Revenue sharing helps a little... but it isn't going to remove the huge advantage... only a salary cap can do that... and until there is one... those teams should do everything they can to take financial advantage of the situation.  Its smart business.  If you only have to compete with a small handful of teams for the best players, you are increasing the odds of winning.  Doesn't mean you win, but a 20% chance is much better than 1%.

Archived