• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let's talk about men's bball -why haven't we succeed? (Last dance: 1992)

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

[Let's stick to roster and floor play. Okay?]

I think we've not had a team and a bench that can contribute since forever.

Q: Which team since 1992 was the closest team to making the dance?

We've had stars on our team, but good teams always found ways to shut them down and then the rest of the team falls apart -not enough scoring.

And then we've had coaching philosophies that didn't work for our program -matching the talent with the style. Personally, I think we've got to play up-tempo bball to have a chance.

I tell 'ya, in terms of floor philosophy and coaching, this staff is the best that I've seen at USF in a very long time. Now, with the impressive recruiting turn of the tide, I think we've got very good possibilities. Of course, we all have to recognize that the Big Basketball schedule and our program is the equivalent of Duke Football playing in the SEC.

Q: How do you define acceptable progress in terms of this next season?

Making the Big East tournament...

;) ;) ;)  j/k (I know all teams make it to MSG)

I would say acceptable progress would be... Top 12 of the Big East... maybe with fewer than 10 BE losses (??)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Jim:  If we have less than 10 losses in the BE we would be at least 9-9.  THAT should easily put us in the top 12 and the post season (at least NIT).  I am skeptical at this point that we will go 9-9 in the BE.  Hope I am wrong.

Normal

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't see a 9-9 season coming ... but if we went 7 - 11, i'd consider that an improvement and step in the right direction.  You don't go from worst to upper half of the the 16 team big east in one year.  If you do, you sign the coach to a LONG contract extension.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

never recruited good talent

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Our record will be decided how we do with our home schedule.

Can we win all of our home games? Possible not likely however.

We have so many newcomers that is is just going to take time for us to see what we have and how to play together.

Remember CSH said last year that he targets year 3 as to when he believes USF can be a good Big East team.Now he said that before we had Gus Gilchrist fall into our laps, but there are still pieces needed.

Other then Verdejo and Ajayi we return everyone for the '09-2010 season, and have already add 2 great shooters in big guards Shaun Noriega and Jordan Dumars.We still are in search of a true PG and Athletic Wing forward to add to the roster.Depending on what opens up, maybe add another Big although it isn't necessary unless Gilchrist is so good that he is 1 and done.

Fans still need to show patience with the process.You don't go from the worse job in college basketball to powerhouse within a couple of years.Now I think we have, I know we have the right man on job because he already is taking us to places we haven't been with our program.

As for me, I'm going to sit back and enjoy every aspect of the birth of a Top 25 program, "yes I said it."

Archived