• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SELVIE 99% SURE HE WILL RETURN '09 SEASON

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

weight really isnt an issue.  they are plenty of hybrid DE,OLB positions in the NFL.  specially with as many teams that run a 3-4.  he is an good fit for the 3-4 defense (see Julian Peterson, Manny Lawson, Andre Carter)  sorry, I am a Niners fan so those are 3 that come to my mind off the top and all 3 were 1st round picks who played DE in college.

bottom line, if Selvie is an all-american again this year he BETTER leave for the NFL.  it just doesn't make sense for him to come back. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,691

In advance: PLEASE FORGIVE ME, I HOPE I AM WRONG!

I don't think that he will leave for the NFL and not because of the degree or high intentions. I don't think he can repeat last years results and his stock will drop for a year. He needs to be stronger and develop a couple more moves to be an NFL caliber DE. He needs to do the same to have another great year. He is a marked man and will see more double teams and RB chips than he could ever imagine. He also needs another end on the other side to buy him some time and allow him to flourish.

With 2 NFL caliber corners last year, A great linebacking corps, and the beast Clebert I'm not sure Selvies numbers are going to be close to what they were either.  How many coverage sacks did he get from Jenkins and Williams?  How many double teams did Clebert eat jsut from his shear strength?

Selvie is very talented.  I'm sure he'll have a great year, and as long as the team is in the rankings I think Selvie will be a top 15 pick.

The only way he'll stay is to bulk up, but he could do that while getting paid.

think sampson genus will clog up the middle just fine. also expect buie to be much improved

think LB's can be stronger even without big ben

tmac another yr in the system

brouce will get even better and expect a huge bouce back yr from a healthy robinson

remember going into last yr most were more excited about robinson than selvie!

hopefully murph is as good as we expect at CB

• Content Count:  292

Bad news.  If he's saying 99%, he's thinking 75% or less.  But if he has another great season, he will have earned it.

This....

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

In advance: PLEASE FORGIVE ME, I HOPE I AM WRONG!

I don't think that he will leave for the NFL and not because of the degree or high intentions. I don't think he can repeat last years results and his stock will drop for a year. He needs to be stronger and develop a couple more moves to be an NFL caliber DE. He needs to do the same to have another great year. He is a marked man and will see more double teams and RB chips than he could ever imagine. He also needs another end on the other side to buy him some time and allow him to flourish.

With 2 NFL caliber corners last year, A great linebacking corps, and the beast Clebert I'm not sure Selvies numbers are going to be close to what they were either.  How many coverage sacks did he get from Jenkins and Williams?  How many double teams did Clebert eat jsut from his shear strength?

Selvie is very talented.  I'm sure he'll have a great year, and as long as the team is in the rankings I think Selvie will be a top 15 pick.

The only way he'll stay is to bulk up, but he could do that while getting paid.

think sampson genus will clog up the middle just fine. also expect buie to be much improved

think LB's can be stronger even without big ben

tmac another yr in the system

brouce will get even better and expect a huge bouce back yr from a healthy robinson

remember going into last yr most we more excited about robinson than selvie!

hopefully murph is as good as we expect at CB

I agree, but there's a lot of question marks there.  I think the CBs could be the biggest issue, but we'll find out.

And Genus is still unproven.

The Defense could be better than last year's for all we know.  Selvie could have bigger numbers.  I'd say it's more likely they will be smaller, but still impressive.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

as I recall, he was facing plenty of double teams halfway through last season. It wasn't as if he was under the radar the whole way.

anyway-- whatever happens or he decides, it's pretty hard to argue that his efforts as a Bull were anything less than stellar. If he goes to the NFL early, I have no problem with that. It allows the next great DE recruit a spot they can fill --- it helps us recruiting wise and reputation-wise.

If he comes close to putting up numbers like last year-- he might get top ten consideration if he performs well at the combine.

It's sometimes hard to believe some of the hype he has received-- but I sure like anything that promotes our program.

• Content Count:  883

If he's 1st round he has to go.  That's what he's been working for his whole collegiate athletic career.  Of course I want him to stay for as many years as he's allowed, but it should really be a no brainer. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

as I recall, he was facing plenty of double teams halfway through last season. It wasn't as if he was under the radar the whole way.

anyway-- whatever happens or he decides, it's pretty hard to argue that his efforts as a Bull were anything less than stellar. If he goes to the NFL early, I have no problem with that. It allows the next great DE recruit a spot they can fill --- it helps us recruiting wise and reputation-wise.

If he comes close to putting up numbers like last year-- he might get top ten consideration if he performs well at the combine.

It's sometimes hard to believe some of the hype he has received-- but I sure like anything that promotes our program.

How many of his sacks were during the 1st half? He like like 6 vs Elon and Auburn alone.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

How many of his sacks were during the 1st half? He like like 6 vs Elon and Auburn alone.

I said halfway through the season and you reply with the first two games. Yeah-- that's equivalent

I said halfway through the season and you reply with the first two games. Yeah-- that's equivalent

Are you really that slow?

Are you really that slow?

I will make this easy for you to understand picture boy.

Correct me if I am wrong. Your point was that he still put up big numbers even though half way through the season he was double teamed.

My point was that I thought 6 of his 14 sacks were in the first two games alone. (before he was double teamed)

I was actually wrong it was 5 sacks

But according to you he was more under the radar the first half. Here are his first half numbers.

21 TFL 11 Sacks

Here are his 2nd half numbers

10 TFL 3 Sacks

Looks to me as if he slowed down once he was double teamed.

Archived