• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett McMurphy's countdown

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

going unbeaten in the Big East seems fairly hard to imagine based on the previous years. I cannot see us doing better than 10-2, although that would be pretty awesome.

THis season will have lots of great football-- looking forward to it. Not overly concerned if USF isn't playing in a BCS bowl this year. Not sure if we are ready for that step just yet. WE sure are getting closer though.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I thought his predictions were on the money, except for Pitt.  They get way too much credit for one, count em one, good win.  They still went 5-7, so let's see a little more consistency before putting them at #2 in BE.

• Content Count:  6,348

Fair assessment of the team by Brett, but I am really interested in seeing why he has Pitt and and WVU above us.  I realize that WVU is the easy choice, but if brett is so concerned with us being a few injuries away from finishing worse, I don't see how you don't have a much bigger concern with WVU.  Devine is an untested every down back.  If Slaton was taking a pounding Devine will be worse since he weighs about half as much as Slaton.  If he gets hurt who runs the ball besides White.  No Schmitt blocking this year either.  Who does White throw to without Reynaud?  Only 4 returners on defense.  They a play a bit of a sophisticated D.  All it takes is someone out of place at the wrong time and it can cost them a ball game.  Didn't they have some problems with that in 2006?  

Pitt has lots of potential talent, but really no proven QB yet.  If MCoy gets hurt then what?  I am very curious to see what he says about these teams.

Quite honestly, my opinion is that we have all the parts in place.  I don't see any defense in our conference that will stop our offense this year.  Even losing three games in conference last year only WVU slowed the offense up.  Our lowest point total was UCONN, but that was pretty much self inflicted.  Their defense didn't really stop us.  We just kept screwing up at the goal line.

Fair assessment of the team by Brett, but I am really interested in seeing why he has Pitt and and WVU above us.  I realize that WVU is the easy choice, but if brett is so concerned with us being a few injuries away from finishing worse, I don't see how you don't have a much bigger concern with WVU.  Devine is an untested every down back.  If Slaton was taking a pounding Devine will be worse since he weighs about half as much as Slaton.  If he gets hurt who runs the ball besides White.  No Schmitt blocking this year either.  Who does White throw to without Reynaud?  Only 4 returners on defense.  They a play a bit of a sophisticated D.  All it takes is someone out of place at the wrong time and it can cost them a ball game.  Didn't they have some problems with that in 2006?  

Pitt has lots of potential talent, but really no proven QB yet.  If MCoy gets hurt then what?  I am very curious to see what he says about these teams.

Quite honestly, my opinion is that we have all the parts in place.  I don't see any defense in our conference that will stop our offense this year.  Even losing three games in conference last year only WVU slowed the offense up.  Our lowest point total was UCONN, but that was pretty much self inflicted.  Their defense didn't really stop us.  We just kept screwing up at the goal line.

good points about WVU-- and it doesn't even take into account the coaching changes.

also-- isn't Devine about the same weight as SLaton, only stockier

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

No. Devine is a WVU's version of thumbelina. He's tiny.

No. Devine is a WVU's version of thumbelina. He's tiny.

7    Noel Devine  RB    5-8  173    So.  Ft. Myers, Fla. 

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?sport=football&show=roster

Position: Runningback

Birthdate: January 4, 1986

Height: 5 foot 10 in

Wt: 185 lbs.

Hometown: Fairless Hills, PA

High School: Conwell Egan Catholic H.S.

http://www.steveslaton.org/

2 inches taller, 12 pounds heavier-- not exactly Tom THumb versus the Golly Green Giant

going unbeaten in the Big East seems fairly hard to imagine based on the previous years. I cannot see us doing better than 10-2, although that would be pretty awesome.

THis season will have lots of great football-- looking forward to it. Not overly concerned if USF isn't playing in a BCS bowl this year. Not sure if we are ready for that step just yet. WE sure are getting closer though.

Mike, which games do you think USF would lose?

Sure, we know USF tends to have a couple off games each year... but looking at our opponents, I only see two that could be problems: Cincy and WVU.

Tenn-Martin - Easy win

UCF - Harder than many here might expect, but still a win

Kansas - Big crowd. Friday night. USF wins this one.

FIU - FIU 2008 is no FAU 2007, heck they aren't even FIU 2006. Win.

NC State - Possible hiccup here. On the road, looking ahead to Pitt.  But our talent level is better. Win.

Pittsburgh - Big crowd. National TV. Loud and sold out. USF wins again.

Syracuse - Homecoming. Probably a Noon kickoff. Another win.

Lousiville - S Bien noted why L'ville will be awful. Another win.

Cincinnati - A road game on a short week when USF is probably Top 10. Sounds like Rutgers last year.  Only that RU team was better than this UC team.  <----  TOSS UP

Rutgers - Revenge. Home game. Week off to prepare. No Ray Rice.  USF wins this one going away.

Connecticut - Revenge. Home game. U Conn has a lot of players back, but they don't have a lot of talent. Win. Probably for the Big East title.

West Virginia - In Morgantown, but I don't think WVU will be as good as last year. This will be a Day game, so not as cold.  USF also has an extra week to prepare. <-- TOSS UP

Going game by game, USF should be no worse than 10-2, with a better-than-realistic chance at 12-0.

Sure, we know USF tends to have a couple off games each year... but looking at our opponents, I only see two that could be problems: Cincy and WVU.

Tenn-Martin - Easy win

NC State - Possible hiccup here. On the road, looking ahead to Pitt.  But our talent level is better. Win.

Cincinnati - A road game on a short week when USF is probably Top 10. Sounds like Rutgers last year.  Only that RU team was better than this UC team.   <----   TOSS UP

Rutgers - Revenge. Home game. Week off to prepare. No Ray Rice.  USF wins this one going away.

Connecticut - Revenge. Home game. U Conn has a lot of players back, but they don't have a lot of talent. Win. Probably for the Big East title.

West Virginia - In Morgantown, but I don't think WVU will be as good as last year. This will be a Day game, so not as cold.  USF also has an extra week to prepare. <-- TOSS UP

Going game by game, USF should be no worse than 10-2, with a better-than-realistic chance at 12-0.

The only games that concern me really are Kansas, Pitt and WVU.  The only thing scary about Pitt is they have a ton of athleticism and raw talent.  At some point, if all that talent gels they could be pretty good.  I'm not sure what they have at QB in terms of leadership or experience and McCoy has to have a repeat performance.  Still lots of question marks though.

Again,  WVU too many question marks for me to be completely sold on them as dominant. 

WVU-best returning QB in the league, lost key RB, lost top receiver, lost a lot on defense, new head coach replacing an extremely demandin, intense HQ.  Sounds a lot like UL from the year before doesn't it?  I am not expecting them to fall off quite as bit as UL, but they can fall back a bit in the conference this year just as easily as win the conference.  Too many questrion marks to know right now until the season starts.

I like our chances of winning the BE a lot this year.

Tenn-Martin - Easy win

Cincinnati - A road game on a short week when USF is probably Top 10. Sounds like Rutgers last year.  Only that RU team was better than this UC team.   <----   TOSS UP

I can't really say a particular game itself is what worries me-- it's more about the team showing up every game and how the opponents come out against us.

We relied alot on turnovers last season-- and also were victim to it. So I am worried about just about any BE game and the KU game. I just see us stumbling here and there a few times. Just look back at the last few seasons in the conference-- everyone is susceptable

Archived