• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett McMurphy's countdown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

he is doing his own version of the Rivals countdown but with Big East teams.

I wonder where he will have USF?  We he do us like Greg did and put us 2nd?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  131

3rd

while i disagree we should be third in BE i do like his assesment of the team. key will be avoiding injury

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Objectively, third seems reasonable.  We know that our home/road Big East schedule is more in our favor in odd years than even. 

We're still one year away from the National Championship.  :D

My comment on his blog post:

Given USF's history, Brett, this is a fair assessment.  Personally, I think the Sun Bowl as well as last season have taught this team some valuable lessons.  Hopefully the coaches can build on those lessons and overcome the challenges this season will hold.

USF could easily be undefeated through Homecoming (Syracuse - 7-0 by then) and probably in the Top 10.  How they handle that pressure on the road at Louisville and at Cincinnati will be key.

The Big Time programs have all been there before, and now so has USF. They will know what to expect when they break the Top 10… when the media come to town en masse.  They were starry-eyed last year, this year they will not have a problem.

My prediction: 12-0 and playing in Miami.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

Brett usually seems to be pretty close with his assessment.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, he's been fairly accurate in years past.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

injuries are always key

if grothe goes down(bite my tongue) bulls finish closer to last place

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Why I picked USF No. 3? While the Bulls could easily prove me wrong, I don’t think the schedule sets up well for them. The short week at Cincinnati (where they’ve lost both previous trips as a favorite) and the season-finale at West Virginia (in a likely cold Morgantown setting on Dec. 6 against a team seeking double revenge) will be two tough places to win. And, yes, Louisville is down, but USF hasn’t won there – or even been competitive for that matter in two appearances. USF should hold serve at home in Big East play – but that’s not a guarantee. Since joining C-USA in 2003, USF has never been undefeated at home in league play.

schedule comes into play  and brett's analysis is so correct

to finish in top 15 a team needs a good coach,qb and favorable schedule.these have always been keys in clooege football

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

If we play to our potential we will be playing for the national championship or at the very least be in the discussion. However we can't have any let downs, and like any team we can't have any key injuries.

I think it was a fair prediction, and Leavitt will be using it as motivation all year.

• Content Count:  4,016

Brett's prediction was fair, but more importantly it was 'safe' no limb climbing on that call.  I personally believe the toughest 'at home' conference game will prove to be Pitt...followed by RU.  We beat Pitt early then I don't see a way we lose any of the other home conference games.  KU really sets the tone for the season much like Auburn did last year.  Win that one and the team is undefeated heading to Cinci.

I completely agree with Brett that Cinci is the shakedown game...we play at UL the week before...and despite what Brett and others think of Louisville, they have a high potential to be awful, and I am talking Syracuse awful this year.  We should see what occurs but think of it this way.  Imagine if USF lost 3 starting OL, Grothe, Ford, Taylor, Ben Williams AND Plancher, Taurus Johnson, Cedric Hill, Edwards, and Carlton Williams, and Ben Busbee...yeah!  And everyone's battle cry for why they'll be decent is Hunter 'frickin' Cantwell.  The kid played significantly two years ago, and had an amazing team surrounding him and looked pretty good.  Let's see what he does with a totally rebuilt offense with Chevy Nova parts.

The defense only lost 6 starters but then lost a starting DB to disciplinary reasons, a LB to eligibility and added a new staff. 

Anyway, I think we go up to UL and it's emotional for all the reason's brett brings up.  We throttle them, but come back and are forced to be in Cinci 5 days later.  Cinci will not be as good as last year, but not bad either.  This has RU last year written all over it.  We win that one and the tide has changed....but that's the game to circle for everyone!  With the talent we have it's really a five game season personally, KU, Pitt, NCST, Cinci, and WVU....that's how I see it.  Don't overlook any game but those five will decide what our season will be like.  Got to win at least 4 out of 5 to go BCSing.

Archived