• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Mention - "SEC To Lower Admission Standards"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Balto, the BE has the same admission rules as the SEC....it always has.  But my point is, the thing you have linked is a joke.  Did you not see the part about the SEC Commissioner taking on the role of commandant?  Please.  That is nothing but satire.  They took the news about Saban's whining, mixed in a few almost plausible facts and wrote a piece that was meant for entertainment.  All I'm saying is that it's disappointing that so many on this board are taking the piece as if it is factual and accurate.

Normal

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Balto, the BE has the same admission rules as the SEC....it always has.  But my point is, the thing you have linked is a joke.  Did you not see the part about the SEC Commissioner taking on the role of commandant?  Please.  That is nothing but satire.  They took the news about Saban's whining, mixed in a few almost plausible facts and wrote a piece that was meant for entertainment.  All I'm saying is that it's disappointing that so many on this board are taking the piece as if it is factual and accurate.

Normal

The article linked from the blog seems legit.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  143

Normal

The article linked from the blog seems legit.

perhaps you should write to Senator Blutarsky to get a clarification--- oh wait-- don't bother as he is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER. He is what Bluto from Animal House supposedly became according to the run out credits.

come on folks-- read.

• Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe I am still wrong about this, but here is another article I found that hopefully provides more clarification to the matter...

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/SPORTS030103/806120347/1025

The SEC's initial eligibility rules have been more strict than the NCAA's for several years, generally requiring non-qualifiers to graduate from a two-year junior college before being eligible for competition at an SEC school.

But with the change, it will become slightly easier for non-qualifiers to attend an SEC school for the first year and receive no athletic financial aid while focusing on the classroom - which is consistent with NCAA rules.

If after the first year of college, the non-qualifier has satisfied NCAA academic requirements, he would be allowed to play and receive athletic aid beginning in the second year.

Again, maybe I am still wrong, but it sure seems to me that this change to the eligibility requirements will allow SEC schools to sign-on players they otherwise would have not been able to before and seems to mimic what Leavitt and other coaches have done to stock their programs. I really hope that this change (whatever it is) will not adversely affect our recruiting in the future or cause some of our new commits to un-commit now a spot may be available for them in a "better" program.

I know the name "Senator Blutarsky" seems somewhat suspicious, but it has been my observation that lots of people (including myself) post blogs and on message boards under aliases and silly names.

I assume that now something about this has been reported both here, in the Tuscaloosa News http://www.tidesports.com/article/20080629/NEWS/391747554/1067/NEWS and previously, in the Clarion Ledger, something must have changed.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I agree, Balto.  Unless a couple of newspaper websites have been hacked by insidious ACC-lovers trying to damage the reputation of the SEC, it looks like this news IS legit.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

I agree, Balto.  Unless a couple of newspaper websites have been hacked by insidious ACC-lovers trying to damage the reputation of the SEC, it looks like this news IS legit.

Has little impact on us.  We are already taking players away from the SEC and they are full qualifiers.

Archived