• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mercer working to put off-court issues in past

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

This is an excellent read and I hope all USF basketball fans take a look at this.Not many outside the inner circles of the basketball program know about Mercer other then he is a great athlete that played for Georgia and ended up tranferring here because of some problems he had.Read about what Heath and Dominique Jones have to say about Mercer and why Mike decided to transfer here, becoming a team leader,  and his expectations for his new team.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=822763

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

thanks it was a very good read.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Great read.

Heath is doing an excellent job recruiting.  Of Course RMC didn't get to use the Big East tag as often, but Heath is bringing in good talent.  Hopefully Mercer sets aside his off-court issues and plays lights out!

Guest BasketBull.

It looks like Howard and Mercer will be our point guards after the first semester.

However, who's the back-up for Howard before then?

It looks like Howard and Mercer will be our point guards after the first semester.

Back-ups??

At USF you play 40 minutes or bust!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I'm hoping BJ Daniels is as good as advertised in basketball and can help out at PG if needed. He's a natural born leader and should be able to step in right away:

B.J. Daniels Makes Big Bend History  

Courtesy: USF

Release: 05/06/2008

TAMPA -- Incoming freshman quarterback B.J. Daniels was named the Tallahassee Democrat's Big Bend Male Basketball Player of the Year on Sunday.  

He did have to share the award with another prepster, but that did not stop him from becoming what the Democrat believes is the first player to win Player of the Year honors in both football and basketball in the same season.

Read the Complete Story on Tallahassee.com

Daniels averaged 27 points a game for Tallahassee's Lincoln high school during basketball season. The fellow award winner gave the Democrat high praise of Daniels.

"He's like a shorter version of LeBron James. When he wanted to go to the hole, they couldn't stop him because he's so strong. Once he goes to the basket you're not going to take it from him. He's unbelievably strong with the ball. At one of the games I was at, some of the fans were calling him Hercules."

In football he was ranked as the 44th best prospect at his position and as having the fifth strongest arm nationally (Rivals).  He set Lincoln HS records with 34 passing touchdowns, 2,500 passing, 972 rushing and 12 rushing TDs during his senior season.

Lincoln HS coach Paul O'Halloran heaped more praise on the future Bull, telling the Democrat that, " B.J. is a great kid and a super competitor. He really developed into a great leader at our school. He was a four-year starter in football and basketball. He steadily progressed each year. It's amazing for a guy to play a sport part-time and accomplish what he did in basketball. What he did this year is unbelievable."

Daniels is scheduled to enroll in classes and be on campus at USF during the summer.  He hopes to play basketball, but was signed by the football program in one of the most highly rated classes in program history.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37319&SPID=2981&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1462686

Heath didn't mention Daniels when discussing the subject:

Coach Stan Heath acknowledged a "small window for the future" for McMillan, but said for now, he's not coming to USF. Heath said that the summer session is "really necessary" for incoming players and said he'll be confident entering the season with Howard at point guard, as well as Dominique Jones and Mike Mercer and freshman Gaby Belardo, who have point guard experience as well.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/06/point-guard-mcm.html#comments

Mama, I got a dumb question coming at you.

Can BJ redshirt in football, but still play basketball?

I mean Grothe has 2 years left.  With Gregory and Voss backing up this year, I’m guessing that BJ will redshirt.  So, would that make him unavailable to play basketball this year?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

I mean Grothe has 2 years left.  With Gregory and Voss backing up this year, I’m guessing that BJ will redshirt.  So, would that make him unavailable to play basketball this year?

That is a very good question, I dont see why not, but the NCAA has some odd rules.

• Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

Yes he can redshirt in Football and still play basketball the same year. You get 5 years to play four in any sport...so his last year he would still have one year of football eligibility and have exhausted his basketball...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

C Ingram, who we almost landed, played BB at UF and still redshirted in football and hasn't lost any eligibility. So, I'm pretty sure B J can as well.

Archived