• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

how can rutgers ever out recruit usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

The Super 17

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Tom Lemming of Prep Football Report and CSTV said this week he had Rutgers' recruiting class for 2009 ranked No. 1 in the Big East.

Quantity has something to do with that, of course, since the Knights already have 17 verbal commitments -- the third-most in the country. But the quality of the class is what has caught the attention of most recruiting experts.

Advertisement

All of them -- from Lemming to SuperPrep's Allen Wallace to Mike Farrell of Rivals.com to the folks at Scout.com -- predict this will be the best class in Rutgers history and one that should land in the Top 25.

How did it happen? Head coach Greg Schiano seemed to signal that he was staying for good by turning down Michigan. And two schools that once dominated the area -- Penn State and Syracuse -- aren't the recruiting factors they once were.

Three straight bowl appearances have also made Rutgers a recruiting force locally and in the surrounding states. Here's a look at how the splashiest recruiting class in school history breaks down so far -- with Rutgers still in the running for more top-level players:

Rutgers football recruiting graphic

BY TOM LUICCI

QBs, RBs, WRs

Who they got:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Steve... it's still early in the game... we've been picking up some very good verbals. I wouldn't sweat this recruiting season. When it is all said and done, we will have passed that scumbag state school in Jersey. You will be able to return the smack after this season's game with your colleagues from RU.

• Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

I agree with sheriff, give it till th nd I think this is the year USF finishes 1st or 2nd in recruiting in Big east and it will ONLY get better if we have a huge season, whivh I think will happen.

• Content Count:  21,282
  • Days Won:  10

Gee I am a wanabee college football player lets see where I would want to go.

USF - Sun, warm, chicks wearing small outfits (showing skin), near beaches, big campus.  Play in a pro stadium

Rutgers - ok campus, cold, wet during the January, Feburary and March, play in an on campus stadium.

You pick.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

USF - Sun, warm, chicks wearing small outfits (showing skin), near beaches, big campus.  Play in a pro stadium

Rutgers - ok campus, cold, wet during the January, Feburary and March, play in an on campus stadium.

You pick.

is that how usf recruits?

maybe you should join staff

no one knows what future holds

i can just comment on today and today we are behind rutgers.a position usf should never be in.

• Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

I wish I knew how to link to the other thread going where smazza says that "rankings mean nothing, it's all about performance on the field." 

Keeps proving his ignorance.  Also, must be a lousy lawyer.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

You pick.

Not that playing in the biggest TV market in the country,  easy access to good summer intern programs in NYC.  easy access to NYC, good academic programs, etc ever come into play when recruiting comes around...There is a little more involved in recruiting than just warm weather.

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I think that little tidbit explains it quite well.  They are the major force for recruiting in the Northeast.  They also don't compete directly with three of the best recruiting schools in the nation and oh yeah every major team recruits our state with emphasis.  They don't have a Florida recruit and other than one guy from North Carolina they really haven't traveled far for their guys.

To be honest it looks like that area has been begging for a half decent local team to sweep up all that talent and Rutgers has jumped in.

• Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Rutgers has plenty to offer, as mentioned above.  However their stadium isn't  on campus, so that isn't one of them. 

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

I wish I knew how to link to the other thread going where smazza says that "rankings mean nothing, it's all about performance on the field." 

Keeps proving his ignorance.  Also, must be a lousy lawyer.

personally attacking Smazza is not recommended.

you f*** with the Smazz, you f*** with me.

Archived